A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SonicGDK 1.20.109 (along with playable levels inside)

Xaklse

Alright, thanks, man.

Seeing that I don't have any "official" gaming technical experience, it makes it easier for me to just modify or work with duplicates.

It's funny because code doesn't really intimidate me, it just confuses me until I know what each line does--then, it isn't much of a problem. But, I'll probably seek some coding help, though--that way, I can get this project moving along a bit more smoothly.

Thanks, again, man.

BeNeVoLeNcE

Actually, a step by step tutorial would be nice, it would help me out a lot more.
Want some frenchfries with that?... No, srsly... Have you at least open'd the link that Xaklse gave you?... Just play with the engine, man, it isn't that hard.
Just play with the engine it isn't that hard.
Go a few pages back on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I'm not being ignorant, but is there a way to edit the Sonic sprite (I wanna make Ashura, for the lulz). I'm trying to get some new textures, so I wondered if anyone here could help me with the character model...

Also, is it possible to "record" gameplay, to make trailers and such? Maybe I could programme certain enemies specifically to make cutscenes!

Anyways, where would I get started to make a level in Sonic GDK? I have an idea for one, but I have no idea how to use UDK.
Where do you start? Downloading UDK and GDK, reading GDK's readme file and looking up on the internet for Video tutorials and stuff... When I started messing arround with GDK, Xaklse indicated me the UDN (A Wiki just for Unreal Development (UT3, UDK and I guess the past UT engines) which has a lot of video tutorials from 3DBuzz explaning bit by bit of the basics, pretty good stuff. I still look it up when I have some doubts. They have tutorials explaining almost anything you need to know to make a level, such as Static Meshes, Materials, BSPs, Terrains, etcetera...
I hope I'm not being ignorant, but is there a way to edit the Sonic sprite (I wanna make Ashura, for the lulz). I'm trying to get some new textures, so I wondered if anyone here could help me with the character model...
>for the lulz

>Ashura

Ohhhh man, that's so funny OMG...

...Nope.

But either way, you can always edit the textures on Photoshop or something. I'm not really sure about how that would work with GDK's model because Sonic doesn't seems to use a texture map, instead it uses just color materials.

Also, is it possible to "record" gameplay, to make trailers and such? Maybe I could programme certain enemies specifically to make cutscenes!
The cutscenes are programmed, not videos (which would be CGs). Look on the internet about Cinematics there are pretty awesome tutorials that could help you out on almost any doubt that you have. But if you want to make a video for a trailer and stuff, get a recordind program (like Fraps, Camtasia Studio, HyperCam 2, etc...) and record while you're playing the game. Simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

That is really nice start lake, allthough it obviously still needs a lot of work. Taking SBTS into consideration, I think you got the right idea when it comes to making a sonic game so I don't think I have to say anything lol.

I haven't seen anyone do it yet with the GDK engine, but I wonder if you can like adjust the camera so it follows and turns dynamically in 3d, instead of using the mouse. That would make the long stretched paths look better I think?

http://youtu.be/R77edmocWe8

just tried to improve it a little bit with the feedback you guys gave me

It looks really good so far, I just got one question, how did you make the camera go from 2-d to 3-d? I am currently experiencing with camera actors and spline actors with unreal-kismet, I just cant figure out how to make the camera go back into 3-d mode. And yes I know how to make the camera go into 2-d mode.

@Jwiwo

it's possible to use the sonicGDK spline actors to take the player were you want it to go, but tha camera goes to the side of the character instead of keeping behind it

hey Xaklse, do you know a way to fix this?

@sonic321ish

take a look at kismet, it's like MMF2 events editor, it uses sensors to set the camera and etc

@SonicFan201

.. wrong topic?

and the music from the video is sky sanctuary btw

@sonic321ish

take a look at kismet, it's like MMF2 events editor, it uses sensors to set the camera and etc

This is how I got it setup in, Unreal Kismet http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/sonic321ish/?action=view&current=Kismet1.jpg

And this is how I got it in the map http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/sonic321ish/?action=view&current=Test2d.jpg

@sonic321ish

so, are you sure the sensor in kismet is the sensor in the map?

usually when you get an object into kismet, they get a box around then.

to cange back to 3D it's kinda simple

see those Untouched (Back or Front)? and also dont forget the "Default cameraInfo for Level" this is the original camera for the level, i think, that needs to be set back.

so... oh wait, take a look on how they are done on the original GDK test map.

that's how i learned

@sonic321ish

so, are you sure the sensor in kismet is the sensor in the map?

usually when you get an object into kismet, they get a box around then.

to cange back to 3D it's kinda simple

see those Untouched (Back or Front)? and also dont forget the "Default cameraInfo for Level" this is the original camera for the level, i think, that needs to be set back.

so... oh wait, take a look on how they are done on the original GDK test map.

that's how i learned

Could you show me a picture of your unreal kismet, for the 2-d to 3-d? and if possible what you have setup in-game (kinda like what I did) I understand better if I can see it.

I ran the .bat file, but UDK isn't responding. It's been not responding for... two minutes or so now. The readme file said it would take a long time, but I wasn't it expecting to take this long!

EDIT: Quick question, can Sonic GDK automatically load more levels or would the player have to load each level manually (in a finished product)?

Sorry, I know this is dumb, but I can't find the SonicGDK .exe file anywhere. Help?

There isn't a SonicGDK.exe, you have to bake it (to create one), like, to show your friends and stuff :V The .bat in there is just to test the level the same way that you test it on UDK, for whatever reason would you want to do that.

I ran the .bat file, but UDK isn't responding. It's been not responding for... two minutes or so now. The readme file said it would take a long time, but I wasn't it expecting to take this long!
That's weird, have you replaced the original files on UDK's folder for the GDK Files and then recompiled the scripts?
EDIT: Quick question, can Sonic GDK automatically load more levels or would the player have to load each level manually (in a finished product)?
Unlike GameMaker or MMF2, on UDK (or about any 3D Engine) each level is a separated product... You have to, either make a menu to load each one separatedly or program (I believe that you can do it in Kismet) to play one right after the other.