A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

UDK Sonic Adventure like game

Zeduardo35

Well, well, well, would you look at that.

Not bad, not bad at all. It is not without it's flaws, but it looks decent enough.

Level design is good, stay true to the adventure series where exploration was the main focus. The stage feels a bit linear sometimes, but nothing that some platforms and hidden paths can't fix here and there. I did however missed seeing some alternative paths which is something that always made the level design in the adventure series feel more open and interesting, like there was things to discover even if those things were only a shortcut. "where will that hole on the wall lead me to?", "what happens if I go down there?".

The graphics, eh... are ok. You used UDK's assets wisely for the most part but problem though is that the UDK assets are way to washed-out for a Sonic game, making the scenary look boring and uninspiring. They're also too dark-ish, which doesn't help since the stage is set during night time, making it hard to see where are you going sometimes, which is always a flaw in a Sonic game. You did try to fix that by adding lights everywhere and it was a smart move for the most part, but there is only so much random lights here and there can do for you. My advice? Mess with the lightmass options, make the shadows blue-ish, a bit brighter also. It should help increse visibility.

One thing that I didn't liked however is how big Sonic feels. That's a problem of the stage, tbh. It's scale is wrong, the platforms are way too small and thin. They're in a ok size for a normal paced game, but they should give a lot of trouble for someone who just wants to run like hell. Look at almost every 3D official Sonic game and check how wide the platforms tend to be. That not only helps the stage to feel a lot bigger than it really is but it also makes sure the player has enough room to play. With platforms small as the ones you have, a clumsy player or someone who's reflexes aren't fast enough should have a very hard time playing it.

There is a lot to fix, but that's a very good start. Congratulations, man.

• Like 1

One thing about 2D sonic stages that do carry over into 3D is managing how much you let the player explore without killing them, and the trust established with it. This is why people always complain about pits that kill you immediately for falling, and probably why they became very rare after Sonic 2. 

The stage looks very engaging. But watching how sonic controls, and how many seemingly deadly pits are around the stage, i'm not even playing and it feels claustrophobic. You're inching sonic around platforms, clearly trying not to slide off the map, aiming everything so you don't end up in some hazard. 

It's okay to have designated areas like that, but try to give the player some breathing room. Especially with Sonic, who's supposed to be able to go fast and spindash and whatnot. Something as simple as guard edges around platforms that have to be jumped over go a long way here (Heroes). Everything that isn't part of the intended path shouldn't have to damage or kill you.  

Edited by Serephim