A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SonicGDK 1.20.109 (along with playable levels inside)

Xaklse

Video about last public release is ready for watching

I appreciate your comments DW, you made me think about what's more important; I'll ask about the same matter at Retro too though since there isn't enough input here.

sorry to go of topic here, but i was thinking about the Sonic Model and yesterday when i was looking at some Unreal 3 videos was a Sonic 06 model playing deathmatch with mario and other characters, it looked pretty close to the original so maybe if you can contact with the guy that did that sonic model for Unreal 3 maybe can help you out with that

Here is a video of the model, thou is for PS3 but i dunno if the guy that made that model can make you something for the PC version or maybe port that model to PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYUJFSEUKr0

and for rigging maybe you can watch some people that rig models for the Blitz, i know that Blitzsonic is kinda lame sometimes but it has some great 3D artists out there.

Ohh and the model is in Evilengine.net forums as well

Not to be impatient, but do you have an idea of when GDK will be put out as open-source? I've been interested in building from the engine lately, but I know it'll take time for me to learn before making use of it, and I can't help but see my summer vacation slowly drain away. ;>

Not to be impatient, but do you have an idea of when GDK will be put out as open-source? I've been interested in building from the engine lately, but I know it'll take time for me to learn before making use of it, and I can't help but see my summer vacation slowly drain away. ;>

Same here man

sorry to go of topic here, but i was thinking about the Sonic Model and yesterday when i was looking at some Unreal 3 videos was a Sonic 06 model playing deathmatch with mario and other characters, it looked pretty close to the original so maybe if you can contact with the guy that did that sonic model for Unreal 3 maybe can help you out with that
I honestly forgot about this model, which is also available for PC. Thanks for the remainder.
There is no release date; I think there will be another Preview Release (3) before I publish the source code.

It's not skills (well, sorta :P), it's more about wasting 3 years of my life on this.

There is something really important to do: custom cameras; without them any game becomes boring and unplayable with gamepad.

For the next releases I have to restore monitors, spikes, badniks, light dash... add 2.5D and more...

• 2 months later...

Preview Release 3 is up; check first post for more details.

YOU NEED THE LAST DIRECTX 9.0c (JUNE 2010) TO PLAY

- Download links:

FileFactory / MediaFire / MegaUpload / SendSpace

- What's new:

* Sonic.

* 2.5D system.

* Camera system.

Reports about bugs and suggestions to improve are welcome. Also, I would really like to know how do you feel about basic controls.

Everything is popping up hot on the heels of that Egg Engine vid. Jeez...I can never really wrap my head around how talented Sonic fans tend to be, how how much the Sonic fanbase draws in talented people. I'll review this post after I play a bit.

EDIT: Error!

Ambiguous package name: Using 'C:\UDK\SonicGDK\UDLGame\CookedPC\SGDK\SonicGDKTestMap.udk', not 'C:\UDK\SonicGDK\UDLGame\CookedPC\Sonic\SonicGDKTestMap.udk'

UDK encounters an error after that and must be closed (haha, windows paraphrasing).

Tested it in W7.

I've got that error installing udk in a different partition than the OS is.

No problem if all is in the same partition.

Well, the best sonic engine so far... and 2.5 D is very impressive, good job Xaklse = )

Btw I have to investigate more to find bugs or weird things

I just played the 2nd preview and I am loving the physics on this thing.

It could make for an excelent 3d fan game. Nice Man!!

Just one little question:

How do I access the 2.5d part of the preview.

EDIT:^^^Never mind didnt see the 3rd so I downloaded 2nd. XD

EDIT (again): OMG Man the 2d section is awesome. It transitions very easily. Very cool.

Thanks people, waiting for feedback (hint, hint).

Tested it in W7.

I've got that error installing udk in a different partition than the OS is.

No problem if all is in the same partition.

That's weird, I do have it in a different partition.

Not yet, in my opinion the engine lacks some key features. Once it's done I'll release a small package with all scripts and stuff.

If anyone wants to get started with the engine, he/she could start to get used to the standard UDK and learn how to use it with tutorials; it will be needed anyways for SonicGDK.

Btw, is the current version perfect for you? :P

Lovely engine as always Xaklse. It feels nice finally being able to run around with an actual Sonic. The model itself is quite a charmer too, though his hands are huge! (Also, the white buckles on his shoes like to disappear if the camera gets too close; Z buffer issue I'm guessing from the buckles being so thin.)

The 2.5D keeps looking better too. It remains quite solid unless you purposefully try to make it break like if you jump early on the first loop-de-loop you see in the 2.5D section, or if you use dodge jump near that end part this can result:

somethingsnotright.png

Basically I'm still in 2.5D mode in that screenshot helplessly being thrown into the air repeatedly. :D

May I ask, what other things are you planning on implementing? This is amazing as is; and I would love to work with it right now. :3
Badniks, hazards, LightDash, underwater mechanics and other secret stuff. Oh, and prettify the code.
The 2.5D keeps looking better too. It remains quite solid unless you purposefully try to make it break like if you jump early on the first loop-de-loop you see in the 2.5D section, or if you use dodge jump near that end part
Yeah, I see there are ways to avoid the placed sensors to deactivate 2.5D mode or leave the path. It's up to the mapper to make sure that nothing like this occurs.

>>>>> Any suggestion for the stage background music? <<<<<