A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Questions about / Assistance with SonicGDK

Azookara

So I've been meaning to get into using SonicGDK for a while, since I have my own fan game project that goes in and out of the woodwork (Sonic World Runner), and I know I should at least learn some stuff in order to really get the ball rolling; but I have some questions about it, and could use some assistance. 

I guess I really like GDK and how it seems to be a great template for making a Sonic game, but at the same time I'm not too big on the player physics themselves. They're fine and all, its just that I wanted to figure out if I can make them a bit (how do I say this without it sounding bad)... floatier?

I know it's following the physics guide pretty closely but Sonic feels really heavy in jumping and steering, and while I would want him to have traction I also don't really want to have him feel like he tugs all that much. Something closer to Sonic Adventure I guess is what I'd be aiming for.

Is there any way to edit those variables in the engine without it being a massive hassle to work with?

And for another question, is there any sort of preset camera option that allows the camera to follow Sonic in 3D movement, but not vomit-cam style? And if not, how much work do you think it'd take to construct something like that? Never been too keen on the vomit-cam myself.

I have more things I'd like to do with the engine (such as figuring out how to handle adding animations, action-button mapping, editing other small variables to Sonic's movement such as jump dash distance, etc) so while I want to learn how to do these things, I guess this is also a casting call for anyone willing to help jump on board with the project.

Edited by Azookara

I've never used SonicGDK. But I do know that all the values associated with movement are variables and typically easily changeable. You simply have to change values and test the outcomes until you get the results you want. We had this very discussion in the Skype chat a few weeks ago.

Well.. huh. Good to know, then. 

I guess in the next few weeks I'm gonna start messing with that and seeing how it all comes out... If I can even figure out where to start. I know the GDK tutorials are somewhere on Retro, right? I guess that's a good place to look.

Is there any way to edit those variables in the engine without it being a massive hassle to work with?

Yes.

I believe all the Sonic physics related stuff is contained inside that Sonic Actor (not the player) in the Test Level that comes with default with GDK including options like make the boost magnetic and whatever, Just put that mesh in your stage and mess around with it.

And don't worry, I don't like much of the physics in GDK also. Sonic stays in the air for too little, fell like a rock when falling, etc.

The camera stuff I fear I can't help you with that. You could look around the internet and I'm sure someone have succeded in doing it or so. But I fear you won't be able to get like a Generations camera (one that follows Sonic from behind everytime) without coding. But don't second me on that one. Best idea is to ask Xak on the forums (I believe he is more frequent on Retro's).

But most of the stuff you want to do can be done with Kismet or that Sonic Actor in the test level.

Good luck, man.

Edited by P3DR0 <3 5HR3K