A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

(With Video) My new sonic gdk level - Neo Final Egg

Zeduardo35

Very nice. It's visually striking, the music is fantastic and it's refreshingly original.

I really don't mean to insult you, but do you know how to use Kismet? You can do some really cool things with lighting or changing materials when you use it. Considering what you have shown off of your levels, I bet you could put it to great use. Keep it up!

We see a lot of levels made with UDK assets, but this level really looked like a true creative way to use then. Mixing the materials of beams on different objects and even on trees really was shocking cool.

Besides that, the level is too dark, I suggest you use the same mindset you used on the effects for making a good light for the dark areas, or at least not let then completelly black, since is not total back because we can still see sonic and not the scenario, which is weird. What would goes next is put the enemies too.

Edited by Ricardo Raiohardt

My feed back is pretty similar to Ricardo's. The level is pretty cool and it really shows how creative you can get with the UDK assets and the level design is nicely varied as well.

The only big glaring issue here is how dark it is. In a precision high speed platformer like sonic, its rather annoying not being able to see sonic or the level at almost any time. That being said, I do like how you play with the idea of silhouettes in some areas to create atmosphere like the the beginning of the stage. I think if you're gonna change the lighting to make things more visible (which you should) I think you should leave that automated bit at the beginning the way it is. It really sets up the mood for the rest of the level very nicely and isn't a problem in terms of level design or game play since the player doesn't have to do anything. Nice level though.

Aha, I also think the level is pretty dark.

I noticed you don't have red rings properly configured in all levels; "Hud Order Index" is the property (select object > F4 key) you have to change, the first one should have 0, second one 1, third one 2...