A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SonicGDK 1.20.109 (along with playable levels inside)

Xaklse

New 1.20.000 version is up!

Source Code (requires UDK July 2013): 1F / BS / BU / Cr / FS / GF / UB / UI / ZS

This is a major revision! What's new? In short:

• Split SonicGDKPackage.upk file into several files for easier modification and distribution.
  • Fixed problems related to the generation of installer files to distribute fangames.
  • Created a new badnik: Orbinaut.
  • Added a new obstacle: giant spiked balls.
  • Completed Hyper Sonic with the addition of the hyper flash.
  • Added underwater sound mode, with muffled sounds, ala Generations.
  • Created optimal movable variants of bumpers, dash rings and speed boosters.
  • Removed all DecalComponents; if you're using a pawn template for Sonic in your map, delete it and re-add it.
  • Added more configurable options to simple destroyables.
  • Added the possibility of using custom loading movies per map.
  • Created the "Extreme" graphics quality setting.
  • Fixed pain causing water volumes.
  • Added collision options to cameras.
  • Fixed the GenericProjectile, it lagged the game when exploding.
  • Added optional flash of lights to rings, used when picked up.
  • Redone some visual particle effects for Sonic's special moves.
  • Added lights to flame shield, magnetic shield and invincibility powerup.
  • More bug fixes.

Special thanks go to Andrew75 for his Orbinaut and spiked ball models, and Tee Lopes for the background music for menus.

F4QApz2.jpg

9tFLwXe.jpg

Cm0HjAH.jpg

8HZzSOd.jpg

ytLLwdw.jpg

Play a tech demo of the most complete and flexible game engine for 3D Sonic games! Give it a try, you can lower the graphics quality this time.

Uploaded a standalone .exe for Windows (Packaged Release 7; requires nothing to work):

1F / BU / Cr / GF / UB

New since Packaged Release 6:

• 3D runways with QuickStep.
  • Improved Sonic Physics.
  • Graphics quality presets.
  • Red star rings.
  • Saving/loading system.
  • Opening cinematic.
  • Main menu & pause menu.
  • Loading movies.
  • Hyper Sonic.
  • 14 special stages.
  • Orbinaut badnik.
  • Spiked ball obstacle.
  • Underwater sound mode.
  • Better visual effects.

*looks at minimum requirements*

*graphics card is Radeon X1250*

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU----!

Aw, I want to play this soooo bad. Is there really no option lower than this for UDK stuff? :<

UDK is a next-gen engine (well, last-gen now with Xbone and PS4 and WiiU releases), RadeonX1250 is a very old graphics card and very little powerful in comparison to some of the gpus on the market in the recent days (I believe people don't even sell it anymore because of how old it is).

If you can't play even older "next-gen" games on your computer, it's no use asking to lower things down. GDK is already as optimized as it can be so it will run as lower as it's possible, but we have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to 3D games or engines. Of course every developer wants its games being played by everyone including people with lower settings computers, but there is so much you can do about that and still have good enough graphics, physics, particles, large levels, alpha maps and all the good stuff.

I'm sorry, try buying a mid-end setup (It's not that pricy and eventually you'll be glad you did it), or content yourself with the idea of never being able to use GDK or play games made in it... Or games made in 2006~2008 to this date.

• 1 month later...

Edit: NVM, I found out I was suppose to install a scaleform plugin for flash.  This video helped me, incase anyone is trying to figure out how to edit the flash menus for SGDK: 

http://youtu.be/MvjfTBJ96z4

Original Question:

I'm getting compiler errors in Flash CS6 when I try to edit the main menus - all the "gfx.controls.---" say they can not be loaded.  

Should I be trying to edit them with CS6 (are they meant to be edited)?

Edited by Biggerboot

There are tutorials for that up on Sonic Retro. Getting it to work along with animations however is an entirely different story.

I've had luck swapping the model, but had zero luck swapping animations or getting animations to work in general. Probably something I'm doing wrong. 

I do recall a version of this that used the sonic colors model and animation, but any download links I can find of it are all to a mega upload mirror which doesn't exist any more so thats a bummer.

But yeah. I'm not too fond of the emotionless soulless terminator sonic any more than you are but I am happy that the engine provides a decent one.

There are tutorials for that up on Sonic Retro. Getting it to work along with animations however is an entirely different story.

I've had luck swapping the model, but had zero luck swapping animations or getting animations to work in general. Probably something I'm doing wrong. 

I do recall a version of this that used the sonic colors model and animation, but any download links I can find of it are all to a mega upload mirror which doesn't exist any more so thats a bummer.

But yeah. I'm not too fond of the emotionless soulless terminator sonic any more than you are but I am happy that the engine provides a decent one.

Here's a link I found for it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/psmit5oayoc8bcb/SonicColorsGDKPackage.upk 

You would import the package and reference all the animation sets in the Sonic Pawn actor.

I'd eventually like to figure out how to make my own animation sets as well.  Get Knuckles up in this thing.

Edited by Biggerboot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

New 1.20.036 & Packaged Release 8 versions are up for SAGE!
Source Code (requires UDK July 2013): LINK
Windows standalone .exe (requires nothing): LINK

What's new? In short:

• Lots of new Kismet nodes: AddScore, GiveShield, HasRings, ReverseGravity, ToggleAntiGrav, ToggleMiniSize...
  • ForceVolumes can push along splines.
  • MonitorActors can drop.
  • New PlatformActor with many options.
  • Redone the title card.
  • Better end of level screen with bonuses.

PEbZlsi.png
FhxguDc.png

You're welcome guys; btw, I'll link to your booths from mine once I figure out the web addresses.

I've started messing with this again, so I'm really happy about the update. Is there a way of adding rings via commands in gameplay?

Hmm? Do you want to add ring items to a level via a command? Or grant an amount of rings to the player via a command? There is a new "Give Rings" Kismet node now.

You're welcome guys; btw, I'll link to your booths from mine once I figure out the web addresses.

Hmm? Do you want to add ring items to a level via a command? Or grant an amount of rings to the player via a command? There is a new "Give Rings" Kismet node now.

I want to give the player a set amount during gameplay, not add them into the level.

Nah I figured out kismet thanks to Handepsilon's tutorial, thanks for the offer though!

Although I could do with a bit of help setting up a 2.5D camera. I added a CameraInfo and got it working with kismet, but the camera is too far zoomed in and facing on the wrong side, anyway to fix this?

I couldn't figure out how to get it to properly work either, and I replicated the code from the test level by hand in an attempt to teach my self how it worked. I couldn't get it to work so I just literally copied the cameras and code I wanted from the test level and pasted them into mine and it worked. Try that.

As for it being too zoomed out, thats the camera info actor being too far away from the point of interest. Rotate it 180 degrees and bring it closer to the point of interest and it should work. 

Edited by Highwire4