A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SonicGDK 1.20.109 (along with playable levels inside)

Xaklse

• 3 weeks later...
that's just the introduction of the level, i'm planning a lot more plataforming and 2.5D sections after that tunnel.

this level is still far from being finished

That's nice, but in my opinion you should also add platforming before the tunnel. It seems pretty long for an introduction.

heres my specs:

processor: intel celeron c900

operating system: windows 7 home premium

memory:2gb ddr3 ram

hard drive: 250gb

optical drive: dvd +/- rw

wireless:802.11b/g/n

screen size:13.3" widescreen

graphics card:integrated intel mobile 4 series

Oh dear... You don't wanna use UDK with that. I'm surprised that it actually opens on it.
Sorry for the BUMP but...

that level

i know it needs more colors and detail and i'll be adding them later.

This is godamn' awesome, Lake. Holy cow, very well done.

You son of a... You humiliates everyone in 2D now you're trying to do the same in 3D. ;-; I hate/love you.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

I'm using June 2011 and when the map is loading, it stops responding at 'defaultmaterial1 or 2'

I'm on my phone so I dunno my specs but I will reply with specs later

Thanks

The first time that you open the test map, it will compile all the material shaders and take a really long time; the editor or game doesn't really crash, just wait patiently or leave the PC alone while processing.

The PC specs you have are very short for UDK development.

Hey Xalse, I'm working on a bit of a "complex" Sonic game using the Sonic GDK/UDK engine, but there are a few things that I'm a little stumped on. I would've just PM'd you, but the site wouldn't allow me until I posted (I've also tried contacting you through Moddb, but it doesn't look like I can contact you directly).

I have everything I need to get things working and I've already started and taught myself a handful of useful things about the engine the way it works, along with other things like "scaleform" and what-not. But, there are a few questions I have that I'm sure that only you can help me with.

If you don't mind, can I email you? It's nothing too complex, so I'm sure it won't take too much of your time--and if you'd like, I can tell you all about the project--it's quite different.

Here's my email address: [email protected]

Thanks.

BeNeVoLeNcE

@Xalse

Either way's fine with me, man.

I figured it would better to send messages privately so that I wouldn't give any "hinted spoilers" or anything like that. Lol

Anyway, first thing's first:

How can I rig the skeletal meshes and animations that already on UDK to be badniks?

How do I use custom skeletal meshes and animations to replace the default badniks? (I saw you give a reply to a guy who had the same question, but I think I'll need more direction in that area, lol.)

How can I add projectiles to the badniks?

How can I add to the endurance of a badnik to create possible boss enemies?

Is it possible for me to add the badnik meshes and animations from Ashura's Reign to SGDK? If so, how can I gain access to them? (As of now, I'm at this point where I'll do almost anything to replace those "lego-like" default badniks, lol).

How can I add support for multiple characters and game types (if possible)?--I figure that the file(s) used for the enabling of the Sonic GDK game style is what I'll need to be looking at for this. I want to try adding a playable Knuckles, Tails, Sally, Amy, and Bunnie Rabbot. I also want to add a mini-game where the player has the privilege of shooting down flying Swatbot ships with a large cannon that Tails and Rotor built. Maybe even another "Sky chase" type stage.

I figured out how to tweak Sonic's speed and all of that, but I couldn't find how to change the distance of his side-step--I figure it's in the same file, but I can't find it for some strange reason--where is it? Lol

Where can I find the files and programming used for the level introduction hud (or level title card-is it called?)? I want to disable it for the initial running of the game so that I can add my own title screen menu, but I want to be able to manipulate it so that I can make it show up whenever I trigger it. My game's going to have a "seamless" world with "core" levels (like Sonic Adventure's "adventure fields) that have paths connecting to action stages. But, for that, I'll need to be able to trigger the levels' title huds as I'm entering them. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to add the titles of the levels to the huds like in the example test map--what's up with that? Lol

For most of this stuff, I'll probably just need to direction on what files and code I'll need to look at, what part of the code I'll need to add to or modify, and/or maybe even what sort of commands I'll need to add to the coding (if that's not too much).

I think that's it, but if I have more later on, I'll let you know and if I do, they'll probably just be relating to the questions already here if I need help in one area.

I'm not really trying to get any exclusive assistance or anything--I was actually planning on just putting it all together myself like "Qwerty" (or that guy who's doing the Sonic Nebulous and Sonic CB series). But, something told me that I wouldn't find these answers just by browsing some forum questions and answers, lol.

Thanks, man.

BeNeVoLeNcE

How can I rig the skeletal meshes and animations that already on UDK to be badniks?

I don't understand this question fully.

How do I use custom skeletal meshes and animations to replace the default badniks? How can I add projectiles to the badniks?

You have to code a new badnik class, program a fire projectile behaviour and link there to your assets. Check in SGDKEnemyPawn class, in the defaultproperties block, the properties of the WPawnSkeletalMeshComponent object.

How can I add to the endurance of a badnik to create possible boss enemies?

Just change the starting Health of the badnik, set it to 8 for 8 hits.

Is it possible for me to add the badnik meshes and animations from Ashura's Reign to SGDK?

No, it isn't possible.

How can I add support for multiple characters and game types (if possible)?

When opening a map with a command, you can specify the gametype; in case you use SGDKGameInfo, you can also specify the pawn/character. Check ParsePlayerPawnClass() of SGDKGameInfo.

Example:

open SonicGDKTestMap?game=SonicGDK.SGDKGameInfo?pawn=Sonic[/CODE]

[b][i]I figured out how to tweak Sonic's speed and all of that, but I couldn't find how to change the distance of his side-step[/i][/b]

You have to re-write the Dodge() function of PawnSonic class, the distance of the quick step is determined by a timer (0.065) which value you should increase or decrease.

[b][i]Where can I find the files and programming used for the level introduction hud (or level title card-is it called?)?[/i][/b]

SGDKHud class, state TitleCardState. It is the default/initial state.

[b][i]Also, I can't seem to figure out how to add the titles of the levels to the huds like in the example test map[/i][/b]

You need to have a texture with all the titles of your levels and use it in your HUD class to display them.

Regards

@Xalse

Ah, lol--sorry about that.

In my first question, I was meaning to ask about the method of changing the enemy "bots" (or whatever they're called) to enemies that are Sonic GDK compatible. Or in other words, turning them into badniks, but with the same behaviors (attacking, movement, etc.) that they use in the default UDK engine.

Or in other words--I want them to shoot Sonic and blow up when attacked.

I tested out if one would attack me by placing it in a stage--but he acted like Sonic was a ghost and he wouldn't respond to any physical contact, lol.

Ah, and something just came to mind--I'm thinking about doing a score system--and/or hit counter (for kicks)--I want to have Sonic brag once he gets a certain amount of chained hits or gets a certain amount of points (maybe even rings and mach energy).

Thanks a bunch for answering my questions. I think I have what I need to get this game moving forward.

I may go into the forum to look for some voice actresses (for Sally, Amy, Bunny, Julie-Su?) if I don't get anyone that I know that would be willing to help. As for the rest of the voices, I have some friends that'll be willing to help (but who knows? I may need more--especially for the classic Dr. Robotnik and Antoine, lol).

BeNeVoLeNcE

Alright, cool. But, is it possible to just make duplicates of the Sonic GDK badnik class, and modify them from there? I'm thinking to change the skeletal meshes, their behaviors, lifespans, speeds, and stuff.

Even if I could just use the code for the badnik class as a base for new classes and tweak them a bit here and there to make my own. That would really help.

I think I'm going to mod the UDK bot so that I can fight it with Sonic.

Yeah, that sounds nice...

Lol

BeNeVoLeNcE