A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SonicGDK 1.20.109 (along with playable levels inside)

Xaklse

That's weird, have you replaced the original files on UDK's folder for the GDK Files and then recompiled the scripts?

I put the folders that came in the zip into the UDK-2011-06 folder. Then I went into Unreal Frontend and performed a complete recompile.

EDIT: It loaded when I ran it this time. I was in the test level just fine, with the Colors model also working. There was a suspicious, large ring in the stage that I hadn't seen before, so I jumped into it, and I was taken to a futuristic level full of guns and junk. I got a rocket launcher, and whenever I jumped, I shot a rocket. I guess level files intertwined and caused some sort of error.

EDIT2: fql9768.jpg This was the big ring I saw. It was teleporting around that small area. It wasn't there the last time I had played GDK.

437pe24.jpg This is the area it teleported me to.

upo1m42.jpg You can see one of the guns in the background there. Is this place part of Unreal Tournament 3 or something?

There's also another large ring on a spiral area that fades the screen to white then starts over the level on contact with the player.

http://youtu.be/R77edmocWe8

just tried to improve it a little bit with the feedback you guys gave me

It's improving in a good way, I'm glad you're persevering.
@Jwiwo

it's possible to use the sonicGDK spline actors to take the player were you want it to go, but tha camera goes to the side of the character instead of keeping behind it

hey Xaklse, do you know a way to fix this?

Spline paths were designed to be used only for 2.5D, although you can move the camera wherever you want, the player inputs are still lateral (left-right to advance).
I ran the .bat file, but UDK isn't responding. It's been not responding for... two minutes or so now. The readme file said it would take a long time, but I wasn't it expecting to take this long!

EDIT: Quick question, can Sonic GDK automatically load more levels or would the player have to load each level manually (in a finished product)?

If it would take only 2 minutes I wouldn't have mentioned that in the readme.

You can switch levels easily with Kismet; just "open" a level file like I did in the test map.

There was a suspicious, large ring in the stage that I hadn't seen before, so I jumped into it, and I was taken to a futuristic level full of guns and junk. I got a rocket launcher, and whenever I jumped, I shot a rocket. I guess level files intertwined and caused some sort of error.
There are 3 giant rings in the same area that teleport you to 3 different maps that come with UDK; 2 of them are from the Unreal Tournament 3 game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New 1.00.244 version is up!

Source Code (requires UDK January 2012): 2shared / DepositFiles / MediaFire / RapidShare

EDIT: HOTFIX (save as); it adds 8 configurable variables to PawnSonic.

What's new? In short:

• Greatly improved the usability of SonicGDK's objects; added a lot of configurable options available through the Unreal Editor.
  • Added support for "pawn templates" letting people to configure the properties of the player controlled Sonic pawn, and the properties of the enemy pawns. Physics data, skills, default camera, attached mesh and other stuff is now available.
  • New MusicInfo object which holds information related to music tracks; changing the background music track is easier now.
  • Improved the camera system with new options; it's possible to imitate the classic 2D games or change the horizontal field of view angle.
  • Created the simple Dash Rings that people wished for.
  • Fully functional HUD with Score, Lives, Boost and Item counters.
  • New Mini-Sonic and 1-Up monitors.
  • Added five "orb" monitors which imitate wisp powers; SonicGDK has 17 types of monitors now.
  • Improved the included .bat file; it lets players change the map and screen resolution.

Regarding the SGDK Test Map:

• Tweaked three 2.5D cameras.
  • Replaced the GravityVolumes with ForceVolumes.
  • Added some DashRings.
  • Moved the giant ring that ends the level.
  • Changed the material of the floor under the group of three giant rings.
  • Added "pawn templates" and moved the default CameraInfo.
  • Added a MusicInfo.
  • Simplified the parallel paths 2.5D part by leaving the ForceVolumes only.
  • Added another moving HandleActor.

Minor changes worth mentioning here:

• Renamed the input links of the UTAnimBlendByPhysics node of the SonicAnimTree.
  • Added an input link to the FullBodySlot node of the SonicAnimTree.
  • Scripted rolling of SGDKPlayerPawn's attached skeletal mesh is now optional.
  • Super form can have an additional AnimSet, which can replace particular animation sequences.
  • Added an option to SGDKSplineActor to switch from 2.5D to 3D with an alternative camera orientation.
  • Controls can be rotated with the SetRotation Kismet node.
  • The fly/walk/ghost cheats work properly now.

The Wiki has also been slightly updated with the new stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm new to programming (I'm learning C++ right now) in general and UDK I'd like to know what language is the source code in?

If you google'd for 10min you'd know that it uses a language of its own called Unreal Script. Which people says that's similar to C++.

Take a screenshot of the volume in the editor, this way I'll see what you're doing.

Also, make sure that the ramp that goes into the water is nearly flat.

To be honest, i did nothing at all, can you just explain me how to add this volume to fluidsurface?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New 1.00.313 version is up!

Source Code (requires UDK January 2012): 2shared / DepositFiles / FreakShare / Oron / PutLocker / RapidShare / Uptobox

What's new? In short:

• Two new Sonic code classes with their physics: Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic.
  • Sonic3's Special Stage, ported from Ashura: Dark Reign.
  • Added a lot of configurable options to SonicGDK's main character available through the Unreal Editor.
  • Visual effects for boosting and ring pickup.
  • Better handling of splines for 2.5D movement.
  • Created a micro map which can be used as a starting point for any new map.
  • Bug fixes.

Minor changes worth mentioning here:

• Modified the SonicAnimTree to fix a little problem with mesh pitch rotation when switching modes.
  • Modified the included .bat file so that players can choose a playable character.

Uploaded a standalone .exe for Windows (Packaged Release 6; requires nothing to work):

2S / FF / FS / Or / PL / RS / Up

Uploaded a standalone .dmg for Mac OS X (Packaged Release 6; requires nothing to work):

2S / FF / Or / PL / RS / Up

36860807.th.jpg 44813055.th.jpg 60132706.th.jpg

New since Preview Release 5:

• Orbs aka wisp powers
  • Complete HUD with lives and score
  • Sonic3's Special Stage
  • Mini-Sonic and other monitors
  • Classic/Modern Sonics
  • Giant and dash rings

You access the Special Stage when touching the big ring that you see right after you start playing.

New 1.00.330 version is up!

Source Code (requires UDK January 2012): 2S / Cr / DF / FS / Or / PL / Sh / RS / Up

What's new? In short:

• 3D runways (defined by a spline) with QuickStep support.
  • Bug fixes.

I want to discuss something with you all since I'm pretty much done with "Modern" gameplay; it's the typical problem of "Classic" gameplay in a 3D environment with targets like enemies, monitors, springs... Classic Sonic doesn't have an aerial special move like Insta-Shield or Homing Attack (aside from shield moves), if you press jump or crouch when jumping/falling nothing occurs.

I'm thinking on adding a special function that slightly moves Sonic towards a nearby target in midair without any sudden acceleration. Would you like it? And how would you activate it? While holding Jump (the first or the second time) or holding Crouch? Any other idea?