A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Hedgehog: Mecha Madness [Progress test]

http://www.filedropper.com/test_17

Here's a new test. The engine is still very rough but I'm getting lots of things together.

The smash attacks are a little improved now.

Sonic can now GUARD and DODGE. The guard key is \.

When guarding, press left, right or down to dodge. When in the air, press the guard key to air dodge.

Sonic can also rebound off of walls when launched by enemies. Instead of smashing Sonic's face into the wall, press the arrow opposite of the wall he's about to hit and he'll grab onto it and slide down. You can then jump right off the wall.

I'll try not to give regular updates as that would make the game boring. I will be working on it for pretty much the whole summer seeing as how I finished classes today and everything's lookin' real nice. Stay tuned for a whole truckload of Mecha Madness stuff. Some new artwork[COMPLETE] is on the way as well.

Same problem, Azu.

Hey, Streak. I'm following your project since SAGE'08 and I admire your game.

After bad thing happened to the project, you've recoded it. It's fantastic, you didn't surrender.

I'd like to help you with some sprites. Check this out:

755f1dbdd9b2b9c4b5ec2da509036dfa.png

It's a kinda "Metal Overlord" boss sprite I've been working one day. If you like it, PM me please.

Corrupt here, too.

And 29mb? You really should use music in OGG format at a lower bitrate - around 80kbps is equivalent to a 128kbps MP3. Unless you have 10 songs in this, I don't see why it's 29mb.

Then again, you had this problem with the past version, and you said you didn't know why it was so big then, either...

Sorry about the corruption, guys.

As far as the filesize... It's all the sound effects + the music. I think I'm gonna have to spend a whole day making everything a bit smaller.

What settings should I use for all the sounds and musics so that it's smaller... but doesn't sound like ass?

Same problem, Azu.

Hey, Streak. I'm following your project since SAGE'08 and I admire your game.

After bad thing happened to the project, you've recoded it. It's fantastic, you didn't surrender.

I'd like to help you with some sprites. Check this out:

[qimg]http://smages.com/i/75/5f/755f1dbdd9b2b9c4b5ec2da509036dfa.png[/qimg]

It's a kinda "Metal Overlord" boss sprite I've been working one day. If you like it, PM me please.

As far as Mecha Madness is concerned... I'm not really interested in Metal overlord. He doesn't fit.

Well, I just said. 80kbps OGG is a pretty good idea.

I'll give you an example. There's a set of WAVs on the site for Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I believe. The largest of them all is 1b.wav, which is the game over song. It's nearly 1mb as a WAV file.

After converting it with these settings in Goldwave:

settings.png

The file becomes 120kb with very little apparent loss in quality. That's one tenth of its original size for what is basically the same audio quality. The only people who will be able to tell the difference are psychotic audiophiles who encode all of their music in FLAC.

Edit: It's worth mentioning, though, if you're converting music in MP3 to OGG, you should really convert the MP3 to WAV first, and then convert the WAV in to OGG. Converting directly from MP3 to OGG tends to muck up the audio in my experience.

And 29mb? You really should use music in OGG format at a lower bitrate - around 80kbps is equivalent to a 128kbps MP3. Unless you have 10 songs in this, I don't see why it's 29mb.
Be ready to download over a gig of Sonic Attitude during SAGE ;)
The only people who will be able to tell the difference are psychotic audiophiles who encode all of their music in FLAC.
*cough*
Hey, I'm alright with MP3s encoded at 320kbps too. =[
...That :(

Played through the test thingy, and the whole thing seems rather cluttered with features, so I hope you make good use of them.

I'm assuming the blue baddie represents some 'überbaddie', since getting sky-rocketed into Oblivion by every baddie I encounter would get really annoying.

I wasn't going to reveal anything but I might as well since I've begun programming it.

I took the shields and gave them a complete makeover. Shields aren't things that you can aquire through boxes anymore. Shields are permanent powerups ala the Megaman series where... you beat a boss and gain it's power. Each shield will have energy that will allow you to use it and each shield will have it's own moveset. You won't have to stop to use these moves. The reason why I made smashes only work when you're slow is because when you're fighting harder enemies, you won't be able to escape them. You'll be able to smash them into walls and they'll be able to do the same to you.

Let me elaborate more on the shields and their abilities. When you aquire the shield, it will give you 4 possible special attacks. These special attacks are replaced every time you change element. Sonic has his own special moves when he has no shield on. The up move is a height booster which will allow you to get up higher and probably save yourself if you're about to fall in a pit. The side specials are something like dash moves that allow you to burst forward or zoom to an enemy and attack immediately. Down specials can vary greatly. They can pretty much be anything. The neutral specials are concentrated attacks of whatever element you have equipped.

http://www.filedropper.com/mechamadnessbaseengine

Sonic's neutral special attacks are ALMOST complete. Pretty much 90%. His side specials both are the Blitz Attack. The more you charge it, the further you go. His up special is the drill lift. His down special is Sonic Wind. Sonic wind on the ground works like a spindash where you rev it. When you are no longer holding down, he shoots it forward and flies back.

The FIRE SHIELD has been programmed. It's pretty much done. Sonic's special moveset changes COMPLETELY. It might seem pretty familiar to you, actually. There are 4 different special moves. The up, down, sides and neutral. Try 'em out. I'm making the moves have both combat capabilities as well as movement. This will help out in platforming. You'll have to time specific moves in order to get places... As well as use some moves to open up new paths and defeat certain enemies.