A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Hedgehog: Mecha Madness [Progress test]

Yeah, there's quite a bit to go before he's done. First I have to sprite all of Sonic's attacks and stuff then have them supersonic-ized. It'll be done for the finished product, of course.

Nice to know, By the way. Do you have any other zones planned because so far i've only seen 2.

Edit: I found a glitch with sonic when attacking the flashing red enemies. He gets stuck in his animation of punching but he doesn't stop causing damage to the enemies. so the hits combo on mine reached all the way to 99924. Yes, I left it on. lol

Yes, there are quite a number of levels. Some new, mostly revisits of the classic STH3&K ones. Some of the new zones are bridges. Bridges meaning that they're pretty much filler to get you from one spot to the other.

As far as the glitch goes. You sure it was the punch anim?

I think it was the punch ill make a video and post it here if you'd like?

I love how smart the combat system is becoming... one tip though with all these moves and abilities being added be sure to have gimmicks and stuff that make using new abilities worthwhile. Ex: In sonic unleashed (PS2) you were given a ton of moves but honestly it made no difference as hitting square repeatedly still won every encounter.

I love how smart the combat system is becoming... one tip though with all these moves and abilities being added be sure to have gimmicks and stuff that make using new abilities worthwhile. Ex: In sonic unleashed (PS2) you were given a ton of moves but honestly it made no difference as hitting square repeatedly still won every encounter.

On that note, Do you think a tutorial Zone would be a good feature for MM streak?

There will definitely be specific uses for specific shield moves. Some enemies can only be hurt by some elements anyway. Some enemies can only hit by criticals and so on.

As far as a test zone goes, I'm definitely going to do that for you guys. It's a very intricate battle system and I want to make sure players understand all that it can do. That way, they can play to the best of their abilities and customize how they tackle obstacles to make their gameplay experience unique.

I tested it out. It was alright... but Sonic walks too slow...

Do you not get that Sonic has to level up to go faster? I'm pretty sure I explained that as Sonic levels up, his stats increase... and you'll be able to see huge results.

There will definitely be specific uses for specific shield moves. Some enemies can only be hurt by some elements anyway. Some enemies can only hit by criticals and so on.

As far as a test zone goes, I'm definitely going to do that for you guys. It's a very intricate battle system and I want to make sure players understand all that it can do. That way, they can play to the best of their abilities and customize how they tackle obstacles to make their gameplay experience unique.

Do you not get that Sonic has to level up to go faster? I'm pretty sure I explained that as Sonic levels up, his stats increase... and you'll be able to see huge results.

Did you read my post Streak?

I had a bug where Sonic would get stuck in one of his punching animations too, but I redownloaded it just now to record a video of it and it appears to be fixed.

Not for me. Plus. Youtube won't let me upload videos so....What else could i use?

• 2 weeks later...

Progress test

[Normal Melee attacks]

You can perform smash attacks [much like in Brawl] with button one. Press one direction, up, down, left and right and immediately press button 2. You'll enter the smash animation. Hold button 2 to charge the smash. Release it to perform the smash attack. Alternately, if you hold a direction for a while and then press ctrl, you do a tilt move. If you dont press any directions, you can do a 3 hit combo. Tilt moves work in the air too.

[special Attacks]

Here's the meat and cheese of the game. Your special moves change with whatever element you have equipped. Sonic will have 7 elements to switch between to accomplish certain attacks. Without any elements equipped, Sonic can do 4 moves. Pressing button 3 without holding any directions will allow you to do a super Sonic spin. The spin will charge and then release. When it releases, you can control how it turns by holding directions. If you hold left or right, you enter the blitz charge. Holding enter while charging the blitz makes it more powerful. When you release it, you shoot forward. If you're near an enemy, it slices right through the enemy. If you hold up and button 3, you do a drill lift. If you are on the ground and hold down and press button 3, you enter the break spindash/Sonic wind mode. Break spindash works like a regular spindash. Keep tapping button 3 while holding down to charge it. Release it to shoot Sonic wind. You can do this in the air too but there's no charge.

[Guarding]

Button 4 is the gaurd button. Hold it to use your shield. Press left or right to do a rolling dodge, press down to do a standing dodge. Press up to enter shield change mode. Press left or right to cycle between the shields you can equip from. Not all shields are finished but you can test some out.

[shields]

Shields have their own special moveset similar to Sonic's special moveset. They vary with each shield equipped so try them out. Whenever you perform a special shield move, it drains energy. [Press L to raise lightning energy. Press K to raise fire energy] So far, the fire shield is the only one that works about 90%.

Have a run and mess around with the engine. I've put alot of work into it. You can press Space to add 100 EXP to your EXP meter. Once you level up, it shows you how much your stats have increased. You can do more damage, run faster and all that good stuff as you level up. Pressing Q allows you to see a small example of the RPG text engine I programmed for it.

Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4qqxjmndmum

Progress test

[Normal Melee attacks]

You can perform smash attacks [much like in Brawl] with button one. Press one direction, up, down, left and right and immediately press button 2. You'll enter the smash animation. Hold button 2 to charge the smash. Release it to perform the smash attack. Alternately, if you hold a direction for a while and then press ctrl, you do a tilt move. If you dont press any directions, you can do a 3 hit combo. Tilt moves work in the air too.

[special Attacks]

Here's the meat and cheese of the game. Your special moves change with whatever element you have equipped. Sonic will have 7 elements to switch between to accomplish certain attacks. Without any elements equipped, Sonic can do 4 moves. Pressing button 3 without holding any directions will allow you to do a super Sonic spin. The spin will charge and then release. When it releases, you can control how it turns by holding directions. If you hold left or right, you enter the blitz charge. Holding enter while charging the blitz makes it more powerful. When you release it, you shoot forward. If you're near an enemy, it slices right through the enemy. If you hold up and button 3, you do a drill lift. If you are on the ground and hold down and press button 3, you enter the break spindash/Sonic wind mode. Break spindash works like a regular spindash. Keep tapping button 3 while holding down to charge it. Release it to shoot Sonic wind. You can do this in the air too but there's no charge.

[Guarding]

Button 4 is the gaurd button. Hold it to use your shield. Press left or right to do a rolling dodge, press down to do a standing dodge. Press up to enter shield change mode. Press left or right to cycle between the shields you can equip from. Not all shields are finished but you can test some out.

[shields]

Shields have their own special moveset similar to Sonic's special moveset. They vary with each shield equipped so try them out. Whenever you perform a special shield move, it drains energy. [Press L to raise lightning energy. Press K to raise fire energy] So far, the fire shield is the only one that works about 90%.

Have a run and mess around with the engine. I've put alot of work into it. You can press Space to add 100 EXP to your EXP meter. Once you level up, it shows you how much your stats have increased. You can do more damage, run faster and all that good stuff as you level up. Pressing Q allows you to see a small example of the RPG text engine I programmed for it.

Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4qqxjmndmum

I'm not bashing you in any but don't you think your releasing a bit too much? I mean, You could of shown something for sage as a mini update that we WOULDN'T of seen. I'm not trying to start an argument i'm just wondering what the sudden vast amount of updated tests.

Oops, sorry. Some times, I'm blind as a bat and stupid as a prune.

I'm not bashing you in any but don't you think your releasing a bit too much? I mean, You could of shown something for sage as a mini update that we WOULDN'T of seen. I'm not trying to start an argument i'm just wondering what the sudden vast amount of updated tests.

You think that since I've shown this, I won't have anything for SAGE? Haaaaaaa!

Streak, you have the one fangame in the universe that I actually approve of using the sonic advance sprites. I have not seen one fangame that used the advanced sprites that didn't feel like it was cheezy and out of place, except for this one. Feels right.

Oh, is that stupid anti-advance sprite thing going around? Honestly, I thought it'd be over with by now. The advance sprite set continues to have the most animations due to it's use in 3 games straight, with each game adding a bunch of animations. And, as such, it also has an insane amount of background elements.

I look forward to whatever'll be at SAGE, but I'll skipping out on this test, I think.

Oh, is that stupid anti-advance sprite thing going around? Honestly, I thought it'd be over with by now. The advance sprite set continues to have the most animations due to it's use in 3 games straight, with each game adding a bunch of animations. And, as such, it also has an insane amount of background elements.

I look forward to whatever'll be at SAGE, but I'll skipping out on this test, I think.

I had no idea that there was an ant-advance thing going ever. These are just my personal feelings towards the sprites. And while it does have the most animations, it doesn't stop them from looking cheezy (to me) in fangames. They look right on the gba. But it just looks...awkard on the computer like its out of place. This fangame however does it right. I thinks its because the fangames themselves were all poorly made, sort of like ultimate flash sonic.