A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Hedgehog: Mecha Madness [Progress test]

You know as well as anyone that I've been making fun of furries for years. It's obviously a reference to my cheesy avatar, which is more of an ironic statement than anything else.

Also, I'm going to side with Streak on this one. If he wants Sonic to be completely red while in fire mode, thats his call. If that really detracts from the game for anyone, it's because they are too hung up on a small detail.

Also, I'm going to side with Streak on this one. If he wants Sonic to be completely red while in fire mode, thats his call. If that really detracts from the game for anyone, it's because they are too hung up on a small detail.

Of course it's his game, but what's the point of showing progress on your work if you're gonna approve of the positive comments, and tell those who don't like something to fuck off? We might as well delete commenting altogether and just put "Like" or "Favorite+" functions. Seriously, comments like "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST GO SOMEWHERE ELSE" are the epitome of deviantART-like sites. I thought SFGHQ was above that kind of stuff.

You know as well as anyone that I've been making fun of furries for years. It's obviously a reference to my cheesy avatar, which is more of an ironic statement than anything else.

Of course I know, I'm just pulling your leg. Err... horn.

Naw, I appreciate the comments from people both good and bad. Geona's just a bitch who likes to stir shit up in my threads.

I already know most people don't like the whole "OMG SONIX RECOLOR". I don't particularly care to change that. If you guys had a problem with something else, I'd definitely listen.

As far as the FF jingle goes. Yeah... It does get annoying. Imagine how I feel about it. I have to test the leveling shit all the time. I just don't have any alternatives.

Naw, I appreciate the comments from people both good and bad. Geona's just a bitch who likes to stir shit up in my threads.

I already know most people don't like the whole "OMG SONIX RECOLOR". I don't particularly care to change that. If you guys had a problem with something else, I'd definitely listen.

As far as the FF jingle goes. Yeah... It does get annoying. Imagine how I feel about it. I have to test the leveling shit all the time. I just don't have any alternatives.

Why not make it do the "Leveup!" Quicker or make for example, 5 Sounds randomly played each time *individually" when "Levelup!" is triggered? Could make a difference.

Even if you removed it, the "Level up!" comment would also get old. The only solutions I can think of are either getting different Sonic comments that will randomize (which is pretty hard for obvious reasons), or try and find some neutral jingle (or make your own using fruity loops or whatever sound creation program you can find).

Of course, if the max level isn't that high, and overall progress is slow, I guess it won't get old that fast.

Not trying to throw in any salt, but many people weren't complaining about Sonic being recolored, but about how strongly he's colored red. I sorta thought the same when I watched the vid. It's not like it kills the game or anything, but maybe making him somewhat less red would look a bit better?

(or make your own using fruity loops or whatever sound creation program you can find)

The jingle/remix was already hand-made, heh, though I guess you're talking about him making something less conspicuous.

Not trying to throw in any salt, but many people weren't complaining about Sonic being recolored, but about how strongly he's colored red. I sorta thought the same when I watched the vid. It's not like it would kill the game or anything, but maybe making him a bit less red would look a bit better?

Thats exacly what I've previously said.

Edit: Just an Idea maybe?

examplepallets.png

At first, I was kind of thinking "god, Streak, just change the damn color," but really, the longer this goes on, the more I realize it'd be nice if every once in awhile people didn't try and change the smallest little things in their game- or sometimes even some relatively major things- and just actually pushed something out the door that was a finished product. Let it stay red. If it's too glaring, put on shades.

Seriously people if he wants sonic to be a radioactive unnatural shade of a color then let him do it, gaaawwwddd its a fangame. He could make Fireshield sonic turn into a flaming turkey if he wants to.

And Rat, you know very well why people post their projects on here, and I'm going to go ahead and let everyone in on the secret... it isn't for constructive criticism.

Thats not entirely fair to us all, but it isnt far from the truth. Maybe we cant give constructive criticism because nobody posts their games looking for constructive criticism? Generally, if you have a bunch of people swinging off your sack after seeing your screenshots, videos, and flashy engine techniques and effects, your game is doing pretty good.

Art is about how much you can pretend not to hear what people are saying cuz they obviously are inferior to your gigantic philosophical mind, you know. changing Sonic's color is such a phenomenal task to get right, after all.

hateeerrrrraaaaddeeeee

Seriously what the fuck. We all know you dont like him, bringing it into this topic is pretty pathetic. Who cares if he used another seperate sprite or a shader; If he does it right you cant tell the difference anyway, and its such a small effect it really isn't even worth mentioning in a topic more than once or twice.

Changing Sonic's shoe color isn't possible. The way I change Sonic's blues is by changing all of the blue values on his entire sprite. Anything blue will turn to the new color. Even greys turn blue because they have some blue in them. Its basically an RGB shift. If I were to change his shoes as well, everything will be just off.

As far as me posting here for ANY of the reasons mentioned, you all are wrong. I'm not here to post and say "HEY LOOK AT ME. LOOK AT MY GAME. IT'S THE SHIT." I'm just here to share the hard work I put in. As far as criticism is concerned, I welcome it but its more than likely I won't follow much of it unless it somehow inspires an epiphany or some other groundbreaking idea on how to make the game better. If it's something as simple as changing the intensity of Sonic's red color, I'm just going to ignore it. Sonic is basically BRIGHT red like that because he's taking on the element fire. He can walk on lava and whatnot. He's even shooting sparks off of his body. How accurate would sparks and flames look coming out of his body if he were a slight tannish red? Just wouldn't fit. If you're basically just going to badmouth it [CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM often tells you what's really bad or not working and how to fix it. ] then you can just save your finger strength and not waste your time typing it in here. if something is really really bad I sort of expect for you to let me know its absolutely not working and I'll try my best to fix it. The red here is mostly because of how Red is. In actuality its not that big of a deal so all I can say about how red he is right now is get over it. I'm definitely not trying to be an asshole but none of the recoloring is gonna change.