A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Hedgehog: Mecha Madness [Progress test]

he's doing a really bad anyway. he could just do it the way it's meant to be done and change sonic's base color to something that doesn't show up elsewhere on the sprite (like yellow or green) and use that as the pallete change color.

But apparently that doesn't matter, since you plan to do it using a method that quite a few people wouldn't be able to see. you'd think it'd be easy to do without abusing a shader feature when it's been possible on the NES with no real problem. guess he doesn't know how to create a color bank or someshit.

he's doing a really bad anyway. he could just do it the way it's meant to be done and change sonic's base color to something that doesn't show up elsewhere on the sprite (like yellow or green) and use that as the pallete change color.

But apparently that doesn't matter, since you plan to do it using a method that quite a few people wouldn't be able to see. you'd think it'd be easy to do without abusing a shader feature when it's been possible on the NES with no real problem. guess he doesn't know how to create a color bank or someshit.

HAY GUYS GUESS WHAT

http://sonicunited.org/hsfqmtif/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

since its such a HUGE problem and so annoying, how about one of you make a topic about it over there to show how its done correctly so nobody makes such a DRASTIC graphical fuckup again?

Unless you really dont care about it that much. No? Then why are we still bitching about it?

Actually being on topic though, streak im looking at the engine trying to find something wrong with it, but from the videos i cant really find anything ATM. Since our games are somewhat similar in playstyle, i'd argue that perhaps you're knocking the enemies too far away to do any real combos or anything too them, but that would only be a problem that shows up while fighting them in an actual stage. We dont get enough playtests though.

Since the enemies really dont hit back, there isnt much to comment on with the AI, except for the fact that i could predict their running away to be HIGHLY effing annoying since they run almost faster than sonic himself lol.

so yeah bottom line, its kickass, waiting for a playtest. Personal question though -- how did you go about getting the health bars above their heads?

thats likely a good idea. I was experimenting with assigning objects to other objects automatically for multi-object AI enemies that didnt have to be hard-programmed into the game and just created through runtime, but got discouraged after MMF2 kept pissing me off. It should be extremely easy, but for some reason it loves to screw up.

If someone starts the topic in the R&D ill be glad to input though. im just seeing if streak did it the same way.

The same way they all have their own unique set of sensors for collision detection. ;>

I demand to know your method! ive tried everything from loops + spreaded values to doing almost everything with arrays and still MMF2 has trouble distinguishing objects. Am i missing something, or have i just failed to achieve the correct event/condition order? I gave up trying to find out.

If i found a way to bind objects created in runtime together, i could do soooooo many things with my AI.

edit: perhaps we should stick this conversation in another forum, like R&D or Assistance?

I'd say yes, since Streak's topic has just taken a detour down a one-way road.

Also, spreading values is important, but it's even more important to make sure that the objects handle themselves correctly when one object is destroyed/created and the sensors decide to play musical chairs. If you keep no values aside from a collision value inside of the sensors and check each sensor individually to relate it to the enemy using a fastloop, then things should work out the way you want. Just be sure to keep your condition order in check ( mmf2 is very picky when picking up id information depending on condition order ).

But yea time for a real ONTOPIC I like the idea that you arent just using some overlay but i wont comment on color otherwise rage will happen again. Also I need some intense help with my A.I Like I used a system that shows whatever you hit's health on a hud that shows up for you instead of separate bars. I just need multiple a.i help but gah not ON TOPIC >.<

But yea time for a real ONTOPIC I like the idea that you arent just using some overlay but i wont comment on color otherwise rage will happen again. Also I need some intense help with my A.I Like I used a system that shows whatever you hit's health on a hud that shows up for you instead of separate bars. I just need multiple a.i help but gah not ON TOPIC >.<

For the sake of what you said: Lark could help you a great deal. Did you watch his MechaMadness AI video on youtube? Good example of his AI.