A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic XG Is Here.

Sir Euan

Knuckles was my favorite sprite! :ahuh:

I would love to see a merger. I'd like to see it as a Sonic 3 and S&K becoming Sonic 3 & K, the best of both, and some. Also the stories probably be combined so we wouldn't be missing out on any finished levels from Retro. After all between the intro and end it is just a way for Sonic to go from one environment to the next to stop Eggman, what is the harm in adding a few more in?:tgrin:

Wait, you're serious?

I know for a fact now XG is going to finished now.

:33

Agreed. Especially since after talking with Euan before this release, I think that this merger is for the best. He told me that these delays are due to the work on the engine and that little tweaks exaserbate problems.

Don't take me word for word on that one...I'm running off memory, but I think that's the just of it. :3

You do have to admit, though, Retro Sonic and Sonic XG both had their own unique sort of styles and by combining the two projects they both stop being unique from one another.

Though, I have to say, we haven't really seen what "Retro Sonic XG" even plays like, so it's impossible to actually say if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

It could end up being the best fangame anybody has ever seen.

This is the best thing for both projects. Sonic XG needs a more solid backbone to do what we want to, properly. Final Fall has lots of set peices and stuff but they are a BIT flimsy and MMF2 just limits us in general.

Retro Sonic is HUGE task for one man. Taxman has to program a whole engine, as well as incorporate compatibility with the classic games AND a whole SDK aswell, then ontop of that he had to design a game, concepts AND make it all too.

Together we have a team of 3 people (plus tweaker helping with muzax ;D) who collectively make up for each others weaknesses, as well as being able to work on the same things in some cases too, making the release of retro/xg not less likely, MORE likely.

It's gonna rock.

Retrospective Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Genesis-Game-System-Games-Styled Sonic the Hedgehog Game.

Anyway, great game. I encountered a few glitches with the Spinning pole and climbing or wall-jumping at the same time, but at this point, those probably don't matter. Amazing backgrounds and stunning graphics.

Though, I have to say, we haven't really seen what "Retro Sonic XG" even plays like, so it's impossible to actually say if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I'd say it would play like the Sonic Retro demo (engine :P ) with most of the levels similar to the XG demo. (I don't think they can afford to lose egg garden though :P ):ssmile:

Would you three object to still releasing seperate versions of XG and Retro, as they were originally supposed to appear, at some point? Or for that matter, divulge anything more insightful than cryptic clues about what the end result of mashing the games together is gonna be? Like Shadix i'm far from having enough faith in this to wait for the next release in god-knows-when to find out and it might help.

hart.png

So I just finished this demo 100%. Levels cleared on all 3 files with the 3 characters, all emeralds with sonic (the 7th emerald was so easy, there were no bombs. or rings for that matter). Speaking of the emeralds, when you complete the yellow stage you get the red emerald, and vice versa.

I guess I shouldn't even bother stating bugs since you'll be using an entirely different engine now, but I really liked this one:

xgknuckles1.png

xgknuckles2.png

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this demo. XG has something in its presentation that most other fangames don't. I don't know exactly what it is. Cartoony graphics, the upbeat jazzy music, and the above average level design makes this one of the best fangames I've played. Like mentioned, you could've used more gimmicks, but this is only the first level so I don't expect too much out of it. The layout seems fine, there are a lot of up and down parts but the island is supposed to be falling apart so it fits.

You should've used a little more underground hidden palace areas in acts 2/3. It's such a pretty background and it's a shame it's used so little.

Great job with this, Nite and Euan. And good luck with the project merge. I'd type more but my brain is totally fried because it's 4:20 AM.

It is the best demo eva!!!!111one :)

I really enjoyed it, but there are some things you should fix.

PLOT There are multiple plotholes in the demo.

Why didn't SOnic kick Metal's ass if he had all the 7 chaos emeralds?

Where did they go between doom's day and final fall? I havent seen sonic loosing them.

How did sonic manage to get to the angel island after tails' plane crashing. Angel island is far in the dackground from sonic and sonic would fall into the ocean because he can't fly.

When did angel island lit to break into several peaces before death egg grashed into it? I don't think that 6 eggman's small rocket missles could do it.

Why this islands in the background in final fall are already flying even before angel island's breaking.

There are also some bugs but your game is still wonderful

where the heck do i download it? i wanna play too!

edit: oh nvm. a little topic surfing solved my issue.

edit: finally, my review.

Presentation is top notch. Using Doomsday as the epilogue to the first level, then using the first level as an epilogue to the rest of the game was a fantastic idea. It's been done before, but never in this community, so kudos to you on that. If anybody else here did something like that, it wouldn't be half as amazing.

As for the gameplay? Well, as previously mentioned, there's a distinct lack of gimmicks that make it a bore to play about a minute in. I ran up quarter pipes and navigated clever spring puzzles for the majority of the level. It needs a little more variety. I say this because i could probably make a level just as good with the sonic worlds engine with a little time. It has little that sets it apart from the rest of the fangames likely to emerge from the Sonic Worlds engine except for its exclusive music, exclusive graphics, and excellent presentation. You can't ride on these factors for the entirety of the project. Its only the beginning though. I'd like to see what else you guys have in store for us!