A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic XG Is Here.

Sir Euan

Okay I'm going to be blunt here, I think Spike and Overbound suck. I think they fucking suck. I'd rather Brad not leave for 2 months but there really isn't much appreciation for him at all. HYPE WAGON!!!!!!! XG!!!! YEAH YEAH RETRO! FUCK!

Don't get me wrong I FUCKING LOVE SONIC XG but I'm not so goddamn blinded by HYPER WAGON POWER LEVEL 9000! that I'm going to just ignore certain details. I'm not going be a fricking hypocrite and avoid criticizing one game although I just did to the other. Brad was not being jealous he just wanted some fair treatment spread around the place. But Spike and Overbound had to go all spin doctor and try to pass him off as some vengeful prick.

Euan I have nothing against you, its all pointed at those two, and anyone else with a post count less than 6 who went all BEST FANGAME IN TEH WURLD!

FOR AMERICA!

Is that how it is? Alright, fuck. I'm gone. I might come back later, I don't know though, because I'm pretty pissed at everyone right now. So what if I like one game and not so much another? It's no reason to treat me like total shit for a week. This is just getting ridiculous. Big fucking babies.

Sorry, Euan. Good luck on your game.

EDIT: Just saw the spoiler in Slinger's sig. I thought we were cool and stuff after you "got some sleep" and whatnot that one day. Fuck that I guess.

I think the level design can be pretty confusing at times in this game. The stones that were swinging back and forth looked more like platforms that you could roll around atop of, so I kept wondering what was wrong when I was trying to get on top of one while I was invincible. You can figure out what happened after I lost invincibility. :P

I do like that you made seperate paths for Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, but it wasn't always easy to figure out where they were supposed to go. When I first got to the part in act 3 with the moving platform and tons of spikes, I assumed that it was Tails-only because I didn't see any way for Sonic to get over the spikes at the time, so I went back and got lost. When I returned, only then did I see the platform inch into the screen. Knuckles had a completely different path on the bottom half of the level iirc, way off course from where Sonic and Tails were supposed to go. I would suggest moving pathways that split right next to each other like the end of Angel Island act 1 in Sonic 3.

Presentation is nothing I've ever seen in a fangame though. Congrats on the amount of effects this game has and story elements as well. It's kind of inspiring, infact. :P

WE DON'T WANT NO DRAMA

NO NO

NO DRAMA DRAMA

Hey guys, let's all leave pointlessly after having a giant argument over a Sonic the Hedgehog fangame! Radical! While we're at it, let's have a giant homosexual orgy! Fuck yeah! I call giver!

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you all? Grow up.

In regards to Retro Sonic XG - I've helped with XG, and I've helped with Retro Sonic. As far as I'm concerned, this just makes it easier for me to concentrate my efforts on a single game. =P Plus, the goals of both are similar, it's just all about tweaking things a bit to fit together. For example, both games have a "Dust Hill" type zone - it wouldn't be at all too farfetched to merge the best of them together into some sort of giant desert clusterfuck. Hells yeah!

I'm assuming Taxman will be handling the programming, yes? I'd be interested to see how well all your fancy explosion effects look in his engine. =P

FOR AMERICA!
I'm scottish =(

Sorry, Euan. Ila's kinda doing my joke thing. ;)

Just saw the spoiler in Slinger's sig. I thought we were cool and stuff after you "got some sleep" and whatnot that one day. Fuck that I guess.

Yeah, that was until this thread. Now, most of us think you're a hypocrite. "Big fucking babies?" More like, "big fucking hypocrite."

Enjoy your time off.

As far as I'm concerned, this just makes it easier for me to concentrate my efforts on a single game.

So I take it that it is true afterall and that Euan's sig isn't just a joke? Excellent. With your musical talents Tweaker the project will only get even better.

I'm still compiling a feedback document with some videos and screenshots, so I'll take this development into account.

Guest Shadix

OH COME ON. :E

There is no need for this. (and I hope it's just that your using Retrosonic's engine and not a project merger)

Both of your games are coming along nicely despite the criticism presented. THERE IS NO REASON for you to scrap your project to develop it in Taxman's engine.

If you go through with this your game is going to BE Sonic Forever. Constantly jumping technologies and never progressing to a point where you can even say the game is more than just a demo.

I say finish XG with what your making it with right now and then do a sideproject with Tax's engine. :E

Guest Shadix

I'm detecting sarcasm.

Anywho the thought just scared me, because here we have 2 well progressed games with years of work behind them and a merger could spell the end for both of them. Plus once the RSDK came out I was hoping to become a level designer for him because I have nothing to do. ;-;

Guest Shadix

But on the flip side this is kindof monopolizing the fangaming field. Instead of 2 great games to look forward to now there would be only one. They are both already great games, so it seems ridiculous to put them together.

I just read the previous page and some.

Jesus Christ almighty, it's not the end of the world, you guys. Grow up, I can find it that this year is going even better with two great projects becoming together. Much more Sonic, much more fun. It's kinda like going back to those old S3&K days, two great games for one, for more fun. Now if you don't like it, shut up and don't pay attention to the project anymore, in my fucking opinion.

Thoughts on XG: I think I've been playing Sonic Heroes PC for too long, because the presentation just doesn't phase me now. It was a great game, but seriously... "meh".

Thoughts on the merger: I'd assuming it'd be XG running off the Retro SDK? If it means smoother gameplay, by all means take your time. The more perks to the engine the better. Just don't "kill yourself on content".

Thoughts on this thread: It's amazing how a little confusion goes a long way. 4 1/2 pages carrying an argument over hypocrisy is just childish.

~Slinger edit: if the people in question had gotten the hint, it wouldn't be 4 1/2 pages. Plus, it's over, so let it die. You're not making it any better.

OK, despite my ears being completely raped.

It was pretty fun, but lost it's novelty INTENSELY quick. the first 20 seconds we're like " OH MY GOD THIS IS AWEOSME " but then I got to final fall and realized it was just " HEY LOOK A LEVEL OK AWESOME GRAPHICS ". then I moved on to the other characters and realized that the stage didn't really change much between the three characters.

it was basically a tech demo.

and not a very mesmerizing one

drama contained:

( most likely I will be accompanied with Slingerland for not liking this demo and praising its godly cock, but that's OK, because Nexus was fucking amazing for what it did )

EDIT: Sonic Retro XG? I wonder how THAT will work out

If you go through with this your game is going to BE Sonic Forever. Constantly jumping technologies and never progressing to a point where you can even say the game is more than just a demo.

In all honesty, this isn't like 3D Realms who does swing from one shiny new engine to the next like Tarzan finding lost babes in the jungle. There's plenty of perfectly legit excuses to dump this creaky old MMF base for something that's already proven to run worlds smoother.

But yep, if these games fuse, it'd be a total catastrophe and i'd quit caring altogether. Somebody important, please clear it up!

Guest Shadix
Oh, so people can't give their opinion on the merger? Is ANY negative opinion in this thread not allowed?

(On that particular subject, by the way, I'm neutral.)

The whole reason they are taking such drastic\rediculous\:( measures is because they CANT take criticism. At least Taxman didn't get all pissy when people started reporting bugs and whatnot. It also ticks me off that he has the nerve to say that I should quit paying attention as if he took over complete authority of both RS and XG.

It's really a shame to see a whole project go whoop just so it can take over something that has such a special place in my heart like Retrosonic. XG has it's own place too and especially after how amazing I found this demo, I don't see why all those years of work and sig advertising should go to waste.

But like I said before, 2 projects are better than one in a fangaming world this small. I suppose I wouldn't be as upset if it were just them going over to Tax's engine, which I would then be "yah watever u say", but if RetroSonic itself ceases to exist I dunno.

I suppose you could say it's like the Square Enix merger. 2 greats don't alway s equal a beyond comprehension experience.

Edit: Oh and for the sake of an example, lets pretend DW is still around and we are coming along pretty well with a solid engine and game, would we want it to fuse with say, Ashura: Dark Reign and have them take over?

Edit2: my example sucks.

Speaking of negativity, I did come up with some thing after talking about XG with a friend, that I think should be changed:

I love the idea of starting you out in Doomsday. But it needs to be easier. A seasoned Sonic vet like me who could beat S3&K backwards with his eyes closed underwater found, a couple of times, getting down to 15 rings.

Maybe Sonic could start with 100 rings? Maybe lower the hits required to take the Egg Mech out to, I dunno, three?

In Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which, as I have mentioned,

- if you lose to the first boss as Richter, the game enables sort of a super-ultra-charged mode where you're invincible and do extra damage with your attacks, simply because you aren't supposed to lose that first boss fight. It's there strictly for show (and another function, but I don't think Sonic XG automatically adjusts it's difficulty level based on whether you win or lose the initial boss fight prologue).

Thus, XG's Doomsday Zone needs to be made a bit easier, just for balance sake, I think.

Maybe Sonic could start with 100 rings? Maybe lower the hits required to take the Egg Mech out to, I dunno, three?

I understand but I had no problem taking it out even if I was hit by it's beam multiple times. But yes, since it's an opening I think Sonic could start with 100 rings just to make sure beginners don't get stuck.

Some other comments as I played again off today:

The Intro music reminds me of SRB2 a lot, which is something that makes me worry that the game isn't going to be finished. It just gives me that feeling. :asweatdrop:

As Knuckles I encountered 2 glitches. I think they have been mentioned again in this topic. The one with the pipe and the special stage ring. Also Nack/Fang appears too soon as a boss imo.

The Intro music reminds me of SRB2 a lot,

That's because we used a sportion of the tune by howard drossin (sonic and knuckles theme) off of the virtual sonic cd that ssn tails or whoever based/nicked the srb2 tune from =P

And matrixx? NO RED KNUCKLES. Sorry this was brought up loads in the past, I like it, it's staying the way it is =)