A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic XG Is Here.

Sir Euan

A little buggy, too tired to explain, tis 2.30am, was at work today.

Me and Joe worked our arses off, enjoy it.

HAHAHAHAHAH

http://www.williamg.plus.com/SXGWEBSITE/

http://www.williamg.plus.com/SXGWEBSITE/SXGDEMO1.zip

PS. oh yeah one bugs is the powerup music is screwy, will fix for demo 2, prolly coming 2012

rael edit: The link above doesn't work, Azu rehosted it for us: http://www.infdrm.e2u.cc/files/Hosted/SXGDEMO1.rar

Ok played it! I guessed the doomsday zone hehe

The graphics and presentation are absolutely top notch, love the menus and title cards. The game really has a feel of continuing on from S3k, awesome. The boss was pretty simple, but the looming Death Egg distracted me hah.

Anyway, my only gripe so far is in the special stage. I don't know how you're doing the movement of the objects, but it doesn't look like convincing 3D perspective. Are you using Z values? If not, you should consider using a simple 3D projection equation:

ScreenX=(XPos*ScreenWidth)/ZPos

ScreenY=(YPos*ScreenHeight)/ZPos

(you may want to use values a bit lower or greater for ScreenWidth and Height if you want to adjust the perspective shape)

this should work even without floating point numbers

Graphically very flashy and nice. Level design is fairly classy too. A tad light on gimmicks, and the boss to final fall is a tad plain for my tastes, but whoa the intro for Sonic redoing DDZ from S3K was pretty craze.

Kept me entertained until I entered the special stage ring with Knuckles. I assume it always just whites over when that happens.

special stages work fine here =S

Sorry, im forgetting stuff to mention cos im nackared. The boss is really only 1/2 complete, needs another attack added. However it is just the first boss, so we didn't want it to be really complex or hard.

I don't know if this was a problem that only I experienced, but the controls were really laggy. If I pressed left and right a bunch of times and then stopped Sonic would keep walking around even after I stopped pressing anything. I found jumping very difficult because of this. Besides that it was really fun.

Holy... That was by far the best thing that was or was suposed to be at Sage. Just because its what I do I have to think of something bad to say. This was not easy but I thought of 2 things:

I'm not big on the walking animation for Sonic and you slide too fast when getting ready to wall jump.

Holy shit that is amazing stuff.

... is that SRB2?

This is the best. This wins my favorite SAGE submission, as I imagined it would. My only complaints:

Final Fall music is really, really short. It looped about 5 times in each act (Which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't fade out so long and then stay quiet)

Sonic's walking animation is weird. His head and body remain totally stationary while his feet and hands shuffle.

You start out in the Doomsday Zone? I know if fits with the story, but it's just... odd...

God, what a fungasm.

No I played Retro its awesome. But it seems like I've been playing Egg Garden for years... oh I have and Emerald hill I've played a few times since 1992 too. Don't get me wrong its got a great engine too better then XG (MMF duh!). But the XG engine works well and I loved the levels it was just fantastic.

Before I continue with talking about XG, I'd like to point out the two-face of a few people. Not once have I read stupid comments in this thread that I received in my thread, such as boss originality, badniks, and the like. Those stupid complaints apply here too. Where are they? Does Euan not get the bitch treatment? Were you all blinded by the pretty colors? Are these trivial gripes that I am referring to? Yes, but I thought I'd just point that out there.

OK, Euan, that was kinda worth the wait. I can't really say anything new that hasn't already been said, except for that the swinging balls were confusing. I couldn't tell if they were a gimmick or a hazard. Upon experimenting, it made me lose my rings. Something to make that more clear would be nice.

I'll have more analysis later.

That's all I got for now...I gotta get back to packing.

You start out in the Doomsday Zone? I know if fits with the story, but it's just... odd...

LOL THE REEEEAL SONIC 4

Before I continue with talking about XG, I'd like to point out the two-face of a few people. Not once have I read stupid comments in this thread that I received in my thread, such as boss originality, badniks, and the like. Those stupid complaints apply here too. Trivial problems? Yes, but I thought I'd just point that out there.

That's not true at all. At least for me. I never got stuck in a wall in this game. I could hardly find a bug when I played through this. Plus the whole thing was just on such grand a scale it was amazing.

Another thing I want to point out is. Why are you comparing your game to this game. There is no reason to compare Nexus to this game over any other fan game. Why don't you compare Nexus to Sonic 4 instead? Or Tikal and Chaos or hell go back to last year and compare it with Sonic Time Twisted.

Plus I don't mean to be rude but did you ever just think that maybe Nexus isn't as good this, so it got more complaints? That sounds harsh but some games are better then others. You don't see me complaining because people like Nexus better then Sonic Time Twisted. Does that mean Nexus is better then Time Twisted? In a word YES!

Fact of life your not always the best.

This is not about being the best. AT ALL. I despise fangaming "competition." You have misconstrued my point. What I said wasn't about fangaming comparison...it's the hypocrisy of a few of you and your comments. Not once did I compare the two games that you have mentioned, just the comments in their respective threads. I love this project and any others of XGs caliber, because I appreciate other people's hard work, which is what Euan has given us.

My point is that the stupid, meaningless comments, such as "your boss is clearly an edit," and other nitpicky gems, didn't appear in this thread.

Why are you comparing your game to this game.

Why were you comparing XG to Retro a few posts up? Answer me that.

I also loved how no one is bitching about the badniks, when they're from Knuckles Chaotix, when Nexus' badniks were made by me.

And you hate them because they're fusions? Nope, you guys are just hypocrites:

-Maybe this is just me because I tend to feel this way through a lot of fan games. However I'm not too big on the design of the badniks. I usually don't like fusion badniks and thats the case here too. They always seem too big.
Actually, the truth is that I didn't really think the fusions looked that great either. i just didn't want to have to pull out my massive flame shield again.

I just played this.

I am speechless. IT IS AMAZING.

However, I came across a couple bugs.

-As Knuckles, I got to the tube after fighting Nack and didn't enter at a high speed, and kinda got stuck in limbo inside the tube cause I didn't have enough momentum. I couldn't get in or out of the tube, but eventually jerked back and forth enough and it suddenly shot me through at high speed.

-After that, I got to the part with the spring upwards where you grab and spin through the horizontal bars. Well, I got to the third one and Knuckles got stuck. I was at the Y position of the bar, and could only walk left and right. I had to reset here to get out.

Other than that, I am overcome with insane joy because this is, hands down, the best fangame I've played.