A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic XG Is Here.

Sir Euan

This is some great fangame!

Love it how it starts from the Doomday zone.

I also love the background changing effect when you enter the secret cave.

The special stages were very nice presented.

My recommendation would be to present the game in fullscreen at start and disable that MMF menu completely. Add an options screen too.

In my opinion, this beats Retro Sonic. Retro Sonic is awesome and everything, but this is driven home by one thing Retro Sonic, so far, ignores: Presentation.

Retro Sonic's presentation is decent, certainly. It's not bad. But this? This nails presentation, with it's flashy title cards, new-age-retro visual effects, and just... everything. Starting you out at the end of S3&K in the Doomsday Zone is genius and very reminiscent of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (which starts you out at the final boss of the previous game, Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, to serve as a prologue to the events in SOTN).

So what if most of the enemies are just throw-backs to currently existing Sonic stuff? It works, unlike most of the awkward new badniks people try to create.

If a gimmick isn't immediately recognizable that it will damage you, well, once it damages you once, you'll know, won't you? That's called learning, and trial-and-error in Sonic games isn't terribly unforgiving. Once I got hit by the swinging ball once, I never got hit by it ever again.

Most other fangames seem to get some of the things right - Sonic XG, at least judging by this demo, seems to get pretty much everything right.

I disagree about this having better presentation. Graphics, sure. I mean, its very colorful. But overall, Retro comes off more solid when it comes to how you move and act throughout the stage. Take the smashing spike things for example... the don't seem very similar to any similar gimmick in Sonic with their motion and that results in more rapid, "cheaper" looking deaths.

Now, XG has some really nice effects, but for me, the advantages end at graphical effects.

I disagree about this having better presentation.

Well, like I said, Retro Sonic's presentation is pretty good. But it's just... I dunno. I can't say anything bad about Retro Sonic's presentation. BUT, Sonic XG's presentation is flashier. When that titlescreen comes up and you have the remastered Sonic & Knuckles Theme kick-up, it just evokes that feeling of "Holy shit YES. This is exactly what I've been waiting for in a fangame ever since I came to SFGHQ."

That's a good way to describe XG, actually. It's just one "Holy shit YES" moment after another, from the titlescreen, to the "Doomsday Zone" recap, the destruction of Angel Island...

And hopefully, beyond.

So what if most of the enemies are just throw-backs to currently existing Sonic stuff? It works, unlike most of the awkward new badniks people try to create.

Nuff said.

Sling you asked "Does Euan not get the bitch treatment?" basically his game was better. I know that sounds mean but that's the honest answer to your question. Its better then mine too no biggy. Yes that is comparing your two games but that's the only way I know how to give you my honest answer. You also asked why I was comparing Retro and XG that was just in reply to DW if you read up a bit you will see that. All that being said you second post restated the question. To which I will reply that pointing out that your boss is an edit is dumb hell most of our whole games are edits.

ila I'm not going to dignify that with a response. We don't need a flame war.

Now I am done talking about this and I will not reply again with anything not relevant to the game. This is supposed to be a topic about the XG demo nothing more and I am going to try to respect that now.

@Blaze

Come to think of it, your games tend to follow the whole presentation first motif as well. I like to have good presentation myself, but flashy isn't my emphasis so much as making something that feels tangible. Its hard to explain that though.

Sling you asked "Does Euan not get the bitch treatment?" basically his game was better. I know that sounds mean but that's the honest answer to your question. Its better then mine too no biggy. Yes that is comparing your two games but that's the only way I know how to give you my honest answer. You also asked why I was comparing Retro and XG that was just in reply to DW if you read up a bit you will see that. All that being said you second post restated the question. To which I will reply that pointing out that your boss is an edit is dumb hell most of our whole games are edits.

Look look look, you bitched about specific things for one project and ignored them in another. That is called hypocrisy. No question. No excuses. No exceptions.

Dude. Overbound. You're a dick. You missed the point again...

Look look look, you bitched about specific things for one project and ignored them in another. That is called hypocrisy. No question. No excuses. No exceptions.

QFT.

EDIT: This argument has been settled via PM with the point finally going across. Again, it wasn't fangame comparison...fangame thread content comparison. It shall die now.

Well, like I said, Retro Sonic's presentation is pretty good. But it's just... I dunno. I can't say anything bad about Retro Sonic's presentation. BUT, Sonic XG's presentation is flashier. When that titlescreen comes up and you have the remastered Sonic & Knuckles Theme kick-up, it just evokes that feeling of "Holy shit YES. This is exactly what I've been waiting for in a fangame ever since I came to SFGHQ."

That's a good way to describe XG, actually. It's just one "Holy shit YES" moment after another, from the titlescreen, to the "Doomsday Zone" recap, the destruction of Angel Island...

And hopefully, beyond.

If we're going this route, then I'm going to agree with you on XGs presentation, but in terms in gameplay depth, Retro Sonic was the bee's knees. There was more stuff to do, due mainly to it's amount of gimmicks and inventive boss.

Again, there's no real problem with either, but yeah...that's my two cents while we're on the subject.

Retro Sonic XG Nexus the Hedgehog 4

*sigh* comparisons, blah blah...

Tried to avoid it...however...it's inevitable around SAGE time.

EDIT: Here's another inevitability:

Because you wouldn't want to but Sega outta business would you?

Breathe in...breath out hard...congrats...you have just sighed.

haha you know, the more I think about it the more seriously I think it'd be a good idea... Retro's scripting can recreate all the stuff he has in Final Fall. The requirements of the game would drop dramatically with no slow down, the special stage would actually be 3D (well, mode 7 at least). All the zone's graphics are there, they just need to be put in an editor (which the RSDK is almost done). Maybe i've just gone mad over working too many late nights, but Euan, Nitemate:

I'm putting the offer on the table.

Sonic Retro XG Nexus the Hedgehog 4: Crossing Fates.

I don't know if this was a problem that only I experienced, but the controls were really laggy. If I pressed left and right a bunch of times and then stopped Sonic would keep walking around even after I stopped pressing anything. I found jumping very difficult because of this.

So, no one else had this problem? Anyone have any clue why it happens?

Most commercial games go fullscreen at startup plus it adds up a lot to the presentation. An alternative would be an external tool to change this or an options screen if not wanted.

No. That's a dumb idea. I like to be able to go back and forth between the game and the other windows I have open like instant messaging and firefox. Forced full screen is annoying. Also, it can kill lower end computers. It's already optional, leave it at that.

Played it very briefly, didn't get past act 1. Loved the doomsday though, I'll play the rest when I have the chance. Great job, Euan. :thumbup:

I'd just want to point out that I have absolutely no problem with the reuse of badniks. My problem lies with 2 hypocritical members.

That's all I'm going to say. Resuming topic.

OK, guys. I have played this game thoroughly enough to give my full review.

Euan said up front that this engine is buggy. At least people read that part this time around. This game is made with the old MMF 1.5 360 engine and compiled with MMF2, hence it's smoothness, but the old 360 engine bugs, collision errors (badniks mostly) and speed make the engine show its age. Controls can be iffy as well in certain areas or just slow to respond in general. For example, when I went through a loop going right and pressed left, Sonic finished out the loop, rather than stopping.

Level design wasn't that fantastic either. Final Fall mostly consisted of running for about 3 seconds, then falling down to a lower section, then running to a spring, then bouncing back to a higher section. Add lack of gimmicks and a decent amount multiple pathways to that formula and the result is pretty "meh."

What obviously made people go apeshit was the presentation, which is the high point of the whole XG formula at this point in time. Fantastic graphics, title cards, and just about everything visual is top notch. On the audio side of things, the sound effects are the typical fare, and that is good, but the music is a mixed bag. The music lacks any sort of consistency as it switches to MIDI sounding tracks to better quality tracks, such as Final Fall or the Special Stage.

Speaking of the Special Stage. Holy crap, it was awesome and inventive. With that out of the way...let's wrap this up.

In conclusion, this is a great demo and project, but I don't think it is as good as posters behind this one make it out to be. XG obviously has a lot of room to grow, and it probably will in the future, but at this point in time, just about everybody in this thread ("teh greatest game evah") was blinded by the presentation and led down a road of hypocrisy.

(P.S. If you want to post a response to this post and call me spiteful, jealous, or anything of the sort, you can save it. I've been waiting for this as long as you have and I just felt a little disappointed is all.)

I know it's not perfect, but people enjoy it so who cares?

And you say the Whole level is just falling and going back up? That is a bit harsh I think, the falling happens alot yes, but it's meant to be part of the feel of the zone, to make it feel bigger and as if at any moment you could plummit to your doom like the island.

You know, I'd love to agree with you on that point, but I'm just following suit.

I said people, not everyone.

I don't know why you're being so bitchy in this thread. Fine so people bitched about nexus but don't complain about it and then get all angsty here.

I for one enjoyed Nexus, I only found the layout to feel a little long for a sonic zone and the 2nd boss a bit too easy compared to the 1st.

I'd also ask if we could all stop moaning and get back to discussing SXG before this gets nasty.

I don't know if this was a problem that only I experienced, but the controls were really laggy. If I pressed left and right a bunch of times and then stopped Sonic would keep walking around even after I stopped pressing anything. I found jumping very difficult because of this. Besides that it was really fun.

I didn't even get to see these bosses.