A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

To be honest, using something like "oldschool" isn't going to attract people who would be interested by that, because those same people would obviously know what is and isn't oldschool. What I mean is, I don't think they're using it for just oohs and aahs. I think that Azu may be right in his thinking.

Please don't eat me.

Sonic Unleashed plays like a highly polished retrospective, remixing elements of Sonic Adventure, Sonic and the Secret Rings and the original 2D games. The only problem with that? Only one of those elements was any good in the first place. So while the 3D, into-the-screen sections control fairly responsively and with much more flexibility than the blue ballistic's Wii debut ever offered, they still fall victim to the "Am I actually playing this?" syndrome inherent to the 3D Sonic games.

Automatic speed boosts, springs set up in unavoidable positions, grind-rail after grind-rail... Yet again we just set Sonic running and left him to it. And worst of all? The 2D sections we've been so excited about worked the exact same way in this particular demo. And don't even get us started on the werehog combat sections. We didn't get to play them, but they looked painfully sluggish and made up of some of the most generic platforming we've seen in ages.

From Gamesradar @ LGC.

[sadface]

"I think what he means is that there are some games that seem quite different when you're actually playing them, as opposed to watching somebody else play them."

Psh. That's not the case with this game. Most of us already wised up to that./

On a side-note: I restarted Sonic Next last night. I still hadn't finished it and due to an issue with my gamertag and such, I ended up deleting my game save. I beat the first level, but I swear it wasn't my doing. I pretty much got tossed around and somehow didn't die.

So now I'm stupid for thinking that the fact that there is a possibility that it's not as straightforward as most of you think it is? K.

Don't you see how Sonic is almost constantly surrounded by two walls so he can only go straight? I've never seen a 3D Sonic level that forces you to go straight the way this one seems to.

There isn't a damn thing old school about it, it's much more like Sonic Rush when it comes to flow. At least, by that video.

Hey, Calm down ok. Thats just the way I feel it. People have different taste. Though I do hope the 3D part of the Stages is going to be a little less Linear and multi pathed. The 2D part of the Zones looks promising, and its realy fast.

Aerosol: Your actualy Right, if you see a few videos you will see that there are sertain places where you can do tricks and end up in a higher path, but if you do not trick you will end up below.

"So now I'm stupid for thinking that the fact that there is a possibility that it's not as straightforward as most of you think it is? K."

I didn't call you stupid, but if you're gonna take it that way, that's on you. I'm "thinking" it's straightforward based upon the many videos they've shown, one of them having been played by someone who wasn't a part of the development team, and the fact that every video shown looks pretty straightforward. Sure, there are alternate paths but they're either right beside the one you're on or right above/below each other, going in the same direction and meeting up a total of like 5 seconds later. Not sure how that assessment makes you stupid.

i would preffer it if they stopped wasting their time making new games and got around to porting SA2 to the PSP, as thats a game which i might actually play

Some guy is working on a DC emu and it works (sort of), but hasn't released it yet.

Face it though, this is just another thing Sega is leaving the homebrew developers to do themselves.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle HD REMIX on XBLA!

Anyways, so I think I'm going to avoid any promotional materials for the game until it comes out now, because I watched that trailer yesterday again from whenever long ago and that theme song is horrrible. :<

Some guy is working on a DC emu and it works (sort of), but hasn't released it yet.

Face it though, this is just another thing Sega is leaving the homebrew developers to do themselves.

The PSP doesn't have even a ghost of a chance at emulating Dreamcast well. It's hard enough to get a fairly decent computer running at full frame rates. A direct port is basically the only real option.

I see this game an entirely different way from u ppl =/

You guys saw the open space in SA and SA2 right? there wasnt much to find in that open space, all i found in that open space was cool power ups. So what would be the point of having an open space? just give enough space for a good bit of enemies and you are perfectly fine. Hell, i'd be glad to see only obstacles like walls in Sonic's gameplay. The Werehog on the otherhand looks fun too, just becuz it seems like gods of war or that wolf from zelda doesnt mean it isnt going to be fun. It just means they made up something similar to it. Stop judging gameplay by just seeing it too, its just a video.

I like the way he runs too, and that song is actually badass to me, i hear it everyday and it sounds sweet, but thats just my opinion.

Oh great. A 14 year old fanboy who signed up just to make a post about how we are being prejudiced. Hilarious fun. As far as I can see, it already has plenty of strikes against it, it being a Sonic game and this being the 21st century certainly not being the least of them.

By the way, just for that sermon, I'm going to keep an eye on you Chris.

Stop judging gameplay by just seeing it too, its just a video.

I'm really tired of hearing this one, especially since running the ranks at Sonic Stadium. That's their counter-argument to anything negative said about Unleashed.

I'll listen to you when the videos stop illustrating the notion that Unleashed plays itself.

Personally I like the looks of the game, but that is just my opinion. I love the themesong too, but then again I used to listen to Bowling For Soup a lot a few years back. I don't have it on my playlist or anything though, the only game related songs I do have on there would be that Jets N Guns Soundtrack that a band called Machinae Supremacy did. Oh, and I guess some of the remixed stuff from Megaman ZX.

That aside though, the game looks really bright and colorful with a soundtrack that I think is nice - plus the werehog sections look interesting to me. So personally I'm looking forward to it.