A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

Wii sonic isn't looking too half bad. Although I have to say that the background looks like something that came of the dreamcast.

Wii has the double of power than a GC, so not surprise at all. One thing is that the wii users sacrifice gfx for gameplay and another is that third parties doesn't spend a cent in making a decent texture.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/20914

Lookin good.

http://www.gamekyo.com/video12708_sonic-unleashed-premiere-video-de-gameplay.html

Another vid. Much longer. Includes mysterious vanishing black-shirted man.

I saw enough. And this is supossed to make us to forget the classics? Hell, be seruios, how many of you see anything interesting but the beauty of the level?

I saw enough. And this is supossed to make us to forget the classics? Hell, be seruios, how many of you see anything interesting but the beauty of the level?

Honestly...it's been made clear that you don't like this game. You don't have to reiterate what you've already said every time something new is posted.

We need to stop comparing sonic today to the classics. Its official that sega is never moving backwards so lets focus on Sonic now. (aka nothing but speed) I honestly wanna play it now after seeing those videos to feel it for myself. Judging a video game with ones eyes isn't my thing after I've seen many people proved wrong in the past for doing so with other games.

Actually, they're saying the exact opposite now:

For games like Sonic, where did the impetus come from, in terms of trying to reinvent that series? It feels like the last couple of tries have been trying to figure out where Sonic is supposed to be in this 3D world. Is that coming from the U.S. side or the Japan side right now?
I'd say it's a combination of both. I think the Japanese side, at Sonic Team, have realized that old Sonic doesn't really gel with today's consumer and today's kids especially. We needed to do something to make something more appealing. That, and the market's gotten a lot more competitive, and Nintendo's success recently has been outstanding. So it was a collaborative effort with western Sega and Sonic Team in Japan to do some reinvention.

Part of that reinvention is also being completely made in the west with stuff like Sonic Chronicles being built by BioWare on the DS. That was something we had to strongly petition to Japanese management to allow us to do, but when they did, it's actually a great process.

Well, that gameplay video was anything but impressive. This is some of the poorest level design I've ever seen. You're constantly being forced to go in one direction, and you can't ever deviate from it. I mean hell, there weren't many multiple paths in Sonic Adventure, but that doesn't mean there was no exploration.

Even that might be forgivable if most of the level weren't holding forward/right. This game plays itself. Speed =/= fun.

Im sure the game does'nt completely play itself, it might just seem that way because Sonic's acceleration is 10x faster than in the adventure games, plus he has the boost. There's one thing I must say though is that the level is pretty narrow 95% of the time.

Im sure the game does'nt completely play itself,

These days Sega seems to be very trustworthy when it comes to making Sonic games which can:

A: Be completed in about an hour.

and

B: Are so fucking easy they make me gag for a refund.

This game looks completely un-challenging and bland.

Sorry had to say it.

Good parts, maybe the fact that you can beat the crap out of things? Maybe.

'Im sure the game does'nt completely play itself, it might just seem that way because Sonic's acceleration is 10x faster than in the adventure games, plus he has the boost. There's one thing I must say though is that the level is pretty narrow 95% of the time."

There's nothing wrong with the Titanic. There's just a gash in the side, and we're taking on water.

But DW, the level design in Emerald Hill was completely different to this. If they decided to use this kind of "straight"design, I am sure they won't change it on mid-game. The things has to change so much from this video to the real gameplay for me to like it. I really really want to be wrong, but each time i see something new, I get more skeptic(or as its said).

And, i am not sure what you mean rael, do you mean that making the game difficult is to be cruel or that they can only make a game difficult through cruelty (im experienced on this XD)

Technically there are alternate roots for games like this. (Sonic advanced 2, Sonic Rush, etc) It all depends on your reflexes, if you do a trick or jump at a certain time you go one root, but if you mess up the trick you go another root. And who says you can't explore, just don't friggin sprint your ass off.