A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

For some reason, Sonic's transformation into a werewolf causes his shoes to grow cleats... and to have the weird sock-things that come out of them look like something Dracula would wear.

The question is... why would a werewolf need cleats? :P

Conspiracy.

EDIT: Has it ever been confirmed as to why he turns into a werewolf? xD

I'll admit, the Werewolf sections don't actually look as awful as they thought I would be, but I did have a pretty damn low expectation of them (Why are they ever there?)

But at the end of the day, I'm a sucker for repetitive combat button masherry (Ala Dynasty Warriors), so *if* by some miraculous reason they accidentally make it fun, it's another thing about this game I could potentially tolerate.

As for the running sections? They're all starting to look identical. Aside from the colour, there isn't really much to set the Chinese level against the (Greek?) one we saw in the previous trailer. Same straight linear paths, same chased-by-a-big-robot section, same unimaginative enemies (WHAR are the gloriously imagined badniks of olde?), same jump-across-something-and-hit-a-spring, same tracks of grind-pipes allowing you to hop between them. etc.

Whar are the unique gimmicks for each level? And why are those ruddy rockets back? (Ok, I get it, It's China... Fireworks... etc.)

As for the slowdown, I'd argue it's probably more their video capturing than the actual game itself. Even so, I wouldn't imagine the game actually runs like that come release time - Although I'd laugh for about 12 weeks solid if it did.

And as always, Trailers, shmailers. If they release a demo as they did Sonic the Hedgehog, that'll do the talking more than their fancy pants, badly captured footage.

Notice how in the video the werewolf sections play at a neat 30 fps.

Anyway to balance out my negativity:

I think the werewolf sections could be fun to play, given the button mashy nature of it, but the concept still sucks Palin's dick.

I think the smartest thing that was done for the day sections is the side step manuever. That (along with a total engine revamp, not sucking, and more not sucking) would have made the mach speed sections in 2k6 that much more fun.

And who knows, maybe the framerate in the day sections is just moving so incredibly fast that the video capture just can't capture the remaining 15-45 frames per second. Or maybe something fucked up along development since http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14242719/sonic-unleashed/videos/sonic_unleased_trailer_061608.html

I hate to break this to you guys, but the Wii warewelf might be even stretchier.

whoazstretchyoi9.jpg

Notice how his arms stay that length just because he is hanging from a wall. I have a feeling wereristar's (name courtousy of Sef) arms just might be made of those gooey hand things that you can buy out of the bubblegum type vending machines but my parents would always get mad at me when I would since wherever they stuck they left a permanently darkened spot that only came out through hours of scrubbing.

Also eeeeeeew, aliasing.

I'd laugh if they snap off, or become Sentient by the end of the game.and just leave him.

It almost looks like a rigging accident, the kind of thing that happens when you don't meld your vertices properly to the bones. Doesn't actually look like (From that screenshot) that the whole stretchy arm thing is intentional

But... it is.

On one side, "Stretchy Arm Sonic"'ll make a brilliant excuse to thousands of deviant art artists to come up with increasingly more disturbing images. :)