A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

I think I read once in an interview with the person responsible for Segagaga that Sega didn't really ever give that much of a damn for consoles, and had always concentrated on arcades and such. So, I think they even give less of a damn now that they aren't even selling consoles anymore.

• 1 month later...

I like bumping threads, specifically threads where people argue about a videogame for 76 pages.

I found an article about Sonic Unleashed and I want to post it. A guy from SEGA talks about things in it that make me sad :(

http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-team-threatens-us-with-more-werehog-action-in-sonic-unleashed-2-123541.phtml

In principle, I think that the users are always right. They're the ones paying the money and playing the games. If they don't enjoy it, they're not going to buy it. I don't think that producing the Werehog was a mistake per se, but there were a lot of things we could have done better if we had more time and resources...

...If I think of any ideas then Sonic Unleashed 2 will be the time for that, so I don't really have an answer for that. But you will see the Werehog again.

you will see the Werehog again.
We're going out of our way to do the opposite of what most fans want

At least the speed stages will probably be as decent as before, right?

But maybe it isn't the same werehog!

I can see it now: Shadow the Hedgehog, in Unleashed 2! With two guns!

Oh, wait, no, how silly of me! Only new age Sonic fans would jump for joy at the thought of another Unleashed game. Therefore, it must be Amy that will star as the new werehog! Complete with shredded clothes and random panty shots. Maybe even breast expansion! The new age Sonic community will go wild!

I have both versions of this game. I brought the Wii version first, and I was originally going to just stick with that one until I saw the vast amount of differences that the 360 version had.

The things I like better about the Wii version are:

-Easier controls (with Sonic the Hedgehog)

-It's easier to get to your next destination, due to the lack of adventure fields (I hate adventure fields, even in Sonic Adventure and Next-Gen Sonic).

-Sonic starts out with all the abilities (rather than getting them in the form of "upgrades" like in the 360 version).

-You could actually use the speed boost while riding the sled in Holoska and Robotnikland (yes, "Robotnikland", as Robotnik called it in Sonic Adventure. I hate the name of "Eggman" with a passion).

-The fact that you could actually kill that huge machine you encounter at the end of Apotos (that you have to avoid by using sidesteps. That thing couldn't be killed in the 360 version).

-The Punch Out!!-style battle with Dark Gaia, as opposed to the one in the 360 version, where you had to be lightyears away from Dark Gaia, and you have to get closer to him with a slow boost, while barely avoiding his attacks).

-Robotnikland was more than one stage, as opposed to being one, hour-long stage in the 360 version.

The things I like better about the 360 version are:

-The graphics (I don't play games based soley on graphics, but still.)

-The Werehog controls are easier (and the gameplay mechanics themselves were executed a lot better).

-There's no limit to the amount of extra lives you could obtain.

-The level designs were less "linear", and to a certain extent, were similar to Sonic 1's, where you had to push blocks.

-The engine, for the most part, feels a lot smoother.

-Achievements.

-The amount of Werehog stages were pretty much equal to the amount of Hedgehog stages (unlike the Wii version, where there was WAY more Werehog stages than Hedgehog stages).

-The inclusion of the Tornado Mini-Stage, Empire City, and the Mazuri Action Stage, which wasn't present in the Wii version for some reason.

Well, as I said in my above post, it's because of the vast amount of differences that the two versions of the game had. If it just had minor differences for each version (like Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog did), then I wouldn't have bothered. There are so many differences between the two versions, that it's almost like an entirely different game. It's almost just like the 8-bit and 16-bit versions of Sonic 1 and 2.

You have a point, but again, as I've stated in my previous post, I had the Wii version first (which I'm sure is the one you described as "cut in half"). After playing the 360 demo many times and seeing quite a few gameplay videos on Youtube, I just couldn't resist.