A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

Link, it's not even just that. There are plenty of times when something whizzes past you that could've taken you a didn't way if you were only paying attention. It sounds to me that what you guys want (that is, the guys ragging on Sonic Unleashed and every other post-SA game), is Jak & Daxter. But faster. Not making a criticism, just making an observation.

Now that I think about it, another game used this aspect of dashing one way and taking optional roots. Remember coco's tiger stages from crash bandicoot warped? Those were fun right? Running, trying to get every crate possible, leaping over gaps, pushing a sprint button to go faster, etc?

Guest Shadix
The Leipzig Games Convention takes place tomorrow, and we can expect plenty of fresh information on Sonic Unleashed. According to the TalkPlayStation Blog however, one reader (called ‘Dan’) couldn’t contain his secrets any longer and apparently spilled some massive story-based beans. Among the unsupported claims is talk of Sonic and the Werehog having separate ‘Super’ forms, Tails appearing with the Tornado and something about a Chaos Golem. Here’s TalkPlayStation with some more tidbits:

The returning character is called Fang the Sniper. He’ll be reinvented like the Chaotix were when they were reintroduced in Sonic Heroes. Fang the Sniper is hired to destroy the Werehog with the promise that he can get the Emerals from his dead body. He becomes an occasional rival in three or four boss battles. In their final battle, he reaches the last Emerald before Sonic and has an adverse effect.

Whats this about Fang returning? If this is true, I just jizzed. HE SHOULD GET HIS OWN GAME. It'd be better than Shadow.

Unleashed gained +5 for Fang's inclusion

Unleashed lost -3 for not using the name "Nack"

Guest Shadix
The exploration in the Advance 2/Rush games were boring. The level layouts were repetitive or were just not interesting at all.

EDIT: Atleast in Rush Adventure and Advance 2. I can barely remember Rush's levels.

Rush Adventure was fun and actually had good level design that was reminiscent of the classic games, so shhhhhhh :<

That rumor was debunked from what I've heard. Honestly, I doubt they'd bring Fang/Nack back to the franchise.

...As much as I like Fang, I'm glad he isn't back. I've already lost SEGA's trust when they butchered the Chaotix. What did they do to Charmy and Vector?! D:

...not much? I mean...I don't see how Charmy and Vector were ruined.

Well, Charmy is indisputable. He was de-aged and turned into one of the most annoying sounding characters around... granted his Shadow the Hedgehog and onward voice wasn't nearly as bad (WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHAHOOAHOHAOHOOOOO. A GIAAAAANT WOOOOOOOORM!), his air changed from a completely neutral one to that of a complete douche. Adding to that, there is no language barrier. He's a douche in all of the spoken languages.

Vector on the other hand... Well, the Japanese have a cool sounding Vector who doesn't sound like a fucking weirdo, and I imagine "Find the Computer Room" doesn't sound nearly as obnoxious when you don't sound like the combined voices of Gilbert Gottfried and some asshat from Brooklyn.

In the end, 90% of it boils down to casting and voice over direction, two activities which I'm absolutely sure SEGA deserves a spot in the top 10 worst of all time for.

• Like 1

but I also have to say that it's possible to fuck up a character with no personality by making giving him a shitty one.

That's what I mean. I seriously prefer the no personality Charmy to the new age Charmy by a million. I could not absolutely stand Charmy from Sonic Heroes and beyond.

Admittedly, I guess Vector wasn't that bad. His voice in StH was really awful though. *shrugs*

I imagine "Find the Computer Room" doesn't sound nearly as obnoxious when you don't sound like the combined voices of Gilbert Gottfried and some asshat from Brooklyn.

That's the funniest thing I have read in a good while. Rep up.

They may not be aimed at us anymore, but they certainly aren't aimed at game reviewers either. The fact is, they just plain aren't aimed at people who like high quality games, so the target audience isn't much of an argument. A turd is a turd is a turd. You can paint it with demographic nonsense all you want, but it will still be a turd.

And is it really necessary to describe how a personality is shitty? One peek at the dialog makes it so obvious and its something that takes so much more time to convey with words.

Oh well, I guess breaking down the innately known with words is what you pay me for. I'll try to make this short.

Heroes Charmy - Carefree, ignorant, and generally lacking in positive personality traits. He's a scrappy.

Shadow Charmy - Carefree, ignorant, hit's things with his ass. Still a scrappy, but his voice helps him to be less hatable since it's less whiny and more quirky.

Heroes Vector - Serious while at the same time never giving a damn about anything. Never displays any kind of emotion aside from trace amounts of greed which doesn't manage to define his personality. Generally underdeveloped. No positive traits again. He's impossible to give a damn about. The only likable thing he does is tells Charmy to quiet his ass down, and anyone would.

Shadow Vector - Less serious, more whiny. Sounds like he cares too much about every minor detail. Overly friendly in spite of not really having any connection to the main character (there is an arguable connection through Heroes, but the game left it underpronounced enough to where it seems like it shouldn't make a difference, and Shadow certainly doesn't seem to give a damn about him). His voice drives the deal home since it sounds exactly like I said.

Heroes Espio - Serious, unemotional, complete stereotype. Usually a ninja has some kind of development over the course of a story. Espio doesn't. Thats the problem with giving Sonic characters a form of character. If they don't develop the character at all it just seems like stagnant garbage.

Shadow Espio is largely the same.

Yeah, I'm going to be honest. I don't really see what's "old school" about it at all.

EDIT: So far, the game is more of a "running to the right" but added with "PRESS THESE BUTTONS LIKE SUPER QUICK OR ELSE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS". And the level looks too linear, but I can't tell. *shrugs*

The game still hasn't impressed me so far, but it looks way better than the other 3D games made after Sonic Adventure 2. I may end up renting it and see if it's enjoyable.

I think they have a different definition of old school. Either way, I don't think it we'll be as bad as you guys are making it out to be. Other than videos, you guys have really have nothing else to go on. You know, expect past Sonic 3D games.

"Other than videos, you guys have really have nothing else to go on. You know, expect past Sonic 3D games."

Videos are actually.. quite a bit to go on. Someone has to be playing them. When you see people fall into pits of death, you can be sure there will be pits of death. If you see linear level design, chances are it'll still be there by the time you play the game. Especially when you can see a video with a guy who has the controller in his hand.