A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mark and Dami's little experiment

great stuff, now you've more or less got the engine going, its now doing to figureing out good 3d level design. One thing i notcied from the videos is you kept on falling out of the loops. i'll probably be able to comment on this better once i've played, but perhaps putting some kind of wall round the inside of the loop to stop you falling out maybe required?

great stuff, now you've more or less got the engine going, its now doing to figureing out good 3d level design. One thing i notcied from the videos is you kept on falling out of the loops. i'll probably be able to comment on this better once i've played, but perhaps putting some kind of wall round the inside of the loop to stop you falling out maybe required?

Yeah, Taxman has suggested this. I had tryied this before, but back then, Sonic's frontal collision sensibility was way to high, and he would sometimes get stuck.

This was just too good not to make a post about (my first post in I don't know how long).

Mouse control for the camera is way too sensitive imo. But when I hit the F2 button to give the pitch and rotation I jumped for joy. I've always wanted to play a 3d sonic game like that, and it felt awesome. The controls are hard to get used to but you get that with any 3d sonic game, official or otherwise so that just needs a bit of fine tuning (as well as the camera, but I can see these problems are being addressed.)

I've got no complaints on the graphics, they are spot on. Now make a small level for each of the Sonic 1 zones and you'll be raking people in :D

W.O.W is blows any 3D fan game out of the water. People are right, THIS is how Sonic Team should make their games. Seriously Bad ass! Aye it has some faults, dont need to address them cause most people have already, but once you start making full levels it will totally own.

-Amesuki-

Haven't played it yet, but I'm pretty excited too. You guys continue to amaze me, I'll post my thoughts once I play it.

Edit: I've played it and I'd say that the engine is pretty good. The only things that bug me are of course the camera, which I'm sure you'll change in the future, and Sonic's running pose.It looks very odd as one second he's taller and the next he's squatting.

Keep up the good work guys!

Xpadder? is that some kind of joy2key thing?

Yeah, but it's got more options. Like using analog sticks to control mouse movement. Joy2key sort of supports this, but it's not really analog.

As for the people already declaring this the best ever and this is how Sonicteam should do games etc. - we've been through this already. Yes, they have more than one animation now (hooray) but there's still barely anything to show for it.

What they've done is totally awesome and could be the next step in fangaming, but please, let's keep the "this is what Sonicteam should be doing" stuff to a minimum. :P It's remarkably obnoxious and egotistical.

In terms of the engine, this does have quite a ways to go. Though, graphics wise--particularly in the model and animation and style, but also in the rendering technique--I really do think this really does surpass "just fangame" quality. But I don't know much of the technical side of things.

Edit: not that I don't completely agree with your complaints about overselling it and claims of them putting Sonic Team in their place (i.e. I do completely agree).

The controls work remarkably well. I long have thought Dual Analog\Mouse and Key control would be useful in a Sonic game, but I didn't think it would work quite that well.

That being said that camera does have some kinks that need to be worked out, but at the same time the camera is a Sonic game's worst enemy. Loop control is also a little wonky given the control mechanism. It seems like it might need to be adapted a bit to work in the scenario. I also think there are some things that might be better if you did deviate from the original formula a bit, because so far, and this game included, the formula still doesn't translate completely into a solid 3D experience. When you start developing enemies and other things that require precise aiming, I would suggest using a lock-on system for the combat. It was this 3D aiming precision problem which is why jumping on enemies became an obselete control mechanism in SA.

I'd love to be the critique guy here, having some experience in this field, but there isn't really much for me to fairly critique on, (I'm not being pessimistic here, I just don't want to be the "lol this is awesumer than sega" guy when I can provide more valuable feedback). All I can really say is don't repeat our errors should you really make a game Dami. A closed, trustworthy team is essential to getting anything done. I'm already starting to see the hype machine turning again, people are going to start begging to make levels for you, if this hasn't happened already, for selfish reasons like a snag at fame. I know you are generally a nice person and definitely a lot more skilled than we were at the time, but I can tell you now all those people will do is hinder progress on the project, as they are certainly not dependable.

That being said, I'm very interested in what this is becoming. The engine is definitely improving, but I would still suggest switching over to a more development ready engine to develop off of like C4 (I'm sure DW and I would be cool with helping with licensing costs) or even something freeware like irrlicht (?). I only see problems arising from using Blitz, and the framerate problems on lowerend machines is only one piece of the pie.

Not to mention, this way you can utilize more powerful graphical utilities like shaders and advanced lighting effects without having to be set back a long time developing the code for the graphic's core.

If I could make a suggestion about loops:

Hollow them out. Like the half-pipe, but not quite as deep. Is your physics simulation good enough to the point where he'd get funneled down in to the center of the loop because of this?

Thats a good idea actually. I'm not sure how strong the force would be with just a small amount of curvature, but maybe we could do some kind of weird trick with the normals to make it stronger...

Hollow them out. Like the half-pipe, but not quite as deep. Is your physics simulation good enough to the point where he'd get funneled down in to the center of the loop because of this?

I've tried this before, and it resulted on major control problems. I'm not sure if it will work now with Dami's rewritten code.

awesomeness.jpg

Objects Implemented.

And I deserve bonus points for being able to take the screen shot EXACTLY as Sonic passed through 0.0 at the X Axis.

I better add "Learn Blitz3D" on my list of goals, right beneath "Wrestle a grizzly bear" and "Make sweet love to Hayden Panettiere"

Actually, that's probably not a good position on the list for "Learn Blitz3D", since the other two circumstances are highly unlikely.

will it be that difficult to port things over from the 360 engine, such as DW's gimmicks? obviously it's a whole new kettle of fish with the extra dimension, but if gravity and such things are behaving in a similar way some of the things should translate relatively directly[/arse talk]