A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mark and Dami's little experiment

First, let me say that actions speak louder than words... and so I'm going to start by posting this:

Actually, I probably should have been the one to take this video... what with having a massively more powerful PC than anyone else working on this right now, but someone beat me to the punch, so I'll just let their 30 fps junker suffice :P

Basically, what you have here is the first real direct translation of a 360 degree movement Sonic engine into 3D. Its still incredibly rudimentary, but the base work is all ready. Everything is meant to use time as a factor for movement instead of the way most of us are used to dealing with things... in terms of frame rate. As a result, frame rates are significantly less consequential, but I do have to digress than this does lead to a little bit of unpredictable motion at particularly low frame rates, particularly where there are inconsistencies with the delta time structure.

To be honest, I'm not really super active in all of this. I'm mostly just chipping in art assets and throwing design advice around. In any event though, I'm rather enthusiastic about this little project, and I'd really like to see this being an engine that we manage to release a little further down the road. Hopefully from there, we can start coming up with concept projects for figuring out better methods of getting Sonic to work in 3D. In the meantime, its our goal to create, as much as possible, a basic Genesis style Sonic game engine in 3D, using the same movement characteristics and for the most part, controls. We'll worry about figuring out how to get these to actually be practical in a 3D game afterwards.

Without further ado, here is a link to our first build.

http://tinyurl.com/3a4ru9

edit: more recent build, http://tinyurl.com/2wem94

Oh, let me mention that there is a little easter egg in here if you get bored with that test stage. If you go into the stages folder and do a name swap on the two folders in there, you can get to that green-hill test area too.

I swear, my computer started moaning and orgasming as I was running this.

Beautiful.

EDIT:...except for the camera. God forbid that I even tap the desk, or else the mouse-controlled camera will go ape-shit. Although this is probably the default camera of Blitz3D, right?

The camera is SO freaking annoying, it makes it basically unplayable most of the time.

The rest of it however, is pretty good. Sonic's waiting animation is cute, for some reason. It looks like he's just looking at everything going "Whoa! Cool!". XD

Wow. This is awesome. A step in the right direction for 3D Sonic games.

However, the controls are kind of difficult to get used to. Also, I couldn't get a reasonable frame rate until I turned off the fancy water effect, and then it suddenly jumped up to 60 fps and stayed there. Make sure that you keep the ability to disable it, because it turns it from unplayable to playable for me!

Otherwise, it does what Sega couldn't :D

Even though I got 10fps, having the movement run off of time made it play just as good. The engine feels great and I like being able to move the camera around with my mouse. Also, I really like the walking model animation; all the new animations in fact are great. When I tried the grassy test zone though, the ground was extremely shiny and not just along the edges. It looked fine in the youtube video, so it's probably just my Savage graphics card or something like that.

Edit: btw, I tried turning off the water like KSoft said he did and it gives a memory access violation error.

Otherwise, it does what Sega couldn't :D

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you all to save these kinds of remarks for when we have something... more.

Oh, and I should mention that with VSync turned off, I get 270 fps with the water effect on, and around 600 with it off :P

Oh, to turn the water block off, open up whichever stages xml file you are looking at and...

Find the line that says:

<water on="1" level="-30" />

And change water on = "1" to water on = "0"

How do you even turn off the water effect? I can't find it.

Edit: Found it. But now, how do you spinball?

If by "spinball", you mean jump, then space or left click.

If by "spinball", you mean curl up and roll, it isn't implemented yet, but it will be the crouch button... currently right click.

If by "spinball" you mean spindash, then hold crouch and rev it up like in the old Genesis games... again, crouch is currently right click. That is in right now, more or less anyway.

Crouching isn't in either, so you'll just see yourself stop and stand still.

Fully animated and damn, that's a gorgeous hedgehog. Even though he's running at 20 FPS (still seems fairly smooth). The physics are (is?) still kinda strange, though. What works smoothly seems detached/tractionless and what doesn't work smoothly are pretty minor hicups, but kinda common. But absolutely gorgeous and impressive.

Sockman I want those textures, NOW! They look so goddamn awesome ;_;

For the stone texture, go to Google Images and search "Wall Texture" and get the 9th entry.

As for the Flame sky, just Google "fire" or "flames" and select Large or Extra Large and take your pick.

Holy crap-o-lah's. this is so dern awesome! It runs at 61fps(lol) at 1024x768 and averages about 20fps at 1600x1200 on my piece of phail videocard. I didn't disabled any settings either. I hate the mouse control though; (:E) and the only thing I could get it to mess up on was the landing after going up that insanely high curve thingy. Sonic would just "jam up" between the two objects and stop, but no real glitches or anything. Good job guy's.

I only hate WASD because on most games it doesn't reroute to the respective keys in DVORAK mode. This one did though, so I applaud them on doing something most commercial games don't even do.