A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mark and Dami's little experiment

how difficult is level construction at the moment? how does that work?

EDIT: whoops, left this tab open too long >_< well, i guess the question still stands. also, WTF is a scenegraph?

A scenegraph is an hierarchy-based node structure wich represent an entity (model, player, object) with a stablished relationship between them. So, for example, you have a palmtree object that's a child of a floating island. Since there's a hierarchy relationship between them, moving the floating island would also move the palmtree. Same may go for rotation or all other kind of stuff.

Of course, with the scenegraph description file you won't only be able to describe relationships, but describe objects and meshes positions, so it's kind of a way to build a level.

Yes. .3ds, .x and .obj, if I'm not mistaken.

About the textures, their filenames are stored on the materials inside the b3d file. They're loaded from the files when Blitz3D opens the model.

That's awesome, because Anim8or or blender can export 3ds. I need to try this now. I can make my own game with your stuff. :P

Hi guys. As the guy who made the YouTube video, and whose webspace the RAR is currently sitting on, I'm kindly requesting that you please change the link in the first post to this...

Okay, fine, it's RapidShare, which is hardly the best webspace in existence and will eventually expire - but I only get 5GB of bandwidth from my webspace at FileDen, and I'm pretty sure the reason it's at 3.6GB out of that right now is due to this file. I'm not really taking any chances here - if the thing goes over 5GB, not only will that link break anyway, but so will all the files I link to (including avatars, sigs, etc.) at various websites around the 'net, at least for ~20 days. Unless I pay up, which isn't gonna happen. Not fun. So yeah, please...? Or mirror it somewhere that can take the bandwidth.

Thanks.

PS: I can run the game at 1680x1050, with fancy water, at around 60FPS, kthx. It's only a "30 FPS junker" when FRAPS is recording. I'm sure there's an option to fix that somewhere, but I'd been trying to make that video for Dami for several hours, and at that point I figured 30FPS was good enough. Especially when you consider A) the ugly framerate CamStudio had been giving me and B) that YouTube would downsize it to 30FPS anyway, unless I pulled some technical trickery that I'm not immediately aware of. So nyeh. >:P

So, at this point in time, are you guys planning on turning this into a full fledged game or is an engine your ultimate intention?

ShadowHog: Are you the same shadowhog that used to make those aweful, ridiculous Youtube vids?

"why u lookin at me im only 10 yeas old"

If so you are my hero.

Probably not. My YouTube account, as you can tell from the video DW links to, is "ShdwHg" - it'd have been "ShadowHog" but that was already taken. In which case it'd have been "ShadHog" but THAT was taken, too... I eventually had to settle for removing all the vowels and making it look like some sort of MegaMan Battle Network reject.

Sorry to break all your hopes and dreams.

But, but, your sonic impression sounds like that shadowhog in that sonic schoolhouse video.

Either way, lets talk about this elsewhere, don't want to get too offtopic.

I felt like flaunting my mod powers around and squeezed the link to the new build in the first post for you. You're welcome. :D

Thanks! But it's actually the same exact build, just on RapidShare. Dami hasn't given me a newer build yet - although I'd love the one with the rings and springs and all, I'm not gonna start begging.