A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshot thread

ila

So I heard you guys enjoy critiquing background tiles...

volcanotilewithgrassgo3.png

I'd really like to put some "cooled lava" stuff in place of the Angel Island Advanced grass. (This, after all, supposed to go in a volcano area level).

Any pointers? I'd imagine there wouldn't be much to say for such a small sample.

Thanks for criticizm

It's just a gradient
Yeah I know, I'll replace gradient with something else
the styles for Sonic and Fusion don't match up well

Should it? I analized many Sonic official logos and never seen that same style of both words, so it should be as it is.

and the stroke effect is cheap and ugly

Sorry but what is stroke effect?

+1 Put some effort into something if you're gonna show it off as if it's amazing.

Are you idiot? I didn't show off, I just asked for opinion to improve it.

Yeah, in SA2 Sonic wore SOAP Shoes (http://www.soapshoes.com/products/T-Bone_6023.jpg) which are designed with a metal part in the sole specifically for "Grinding". Metal on Metal I guess... Plus any excuse to use fancy Particle effects in a game doesn't always need an excuse :P

Sockman: Looks good, although for "Cooled Lava" would it really have grass on it?

Thanks for criticizm

Yeah I know, I'll replace gradient with something else

Good.

Should it? I analized many Sonic official logos and never seen that same style of both words, so it should be as it is.

In this case, you are trying to keep a fluid style for the most part, but are missing some elements like the lack of gradient stroke on the outside. Also, the fact that there are rounded edges on the outside instead of sharp edges is an inconsitency that really hampers the uniformity of the logo.

Aside from that, in all cases the logo pieces are either uniform in style or have a very glaringly obvious contrast. For instance, in Sonic and the Secret rings, the beveling and stroke on the outside of the text is uniform to both "Sonic" and "and the Secret Rings", the difference though is font and color as opposed to effects.

Sorry but what is stroke effect?

A stroke effect refers to any bar on the outside of an image/text that conforms to the shape of the image/text but with a different consistent color/pattern/whatever.

In the case of your logo, the strokes were clearly generated with a tool akin to photoshop's stroke style because of the way it curves around edges instead of keeping them sharp.

• Like 1

Oh thanks, I'll try to keep it in mind and remake it, rep up.

P.S. You will laugh but I made "Fusion" word in... Microsoft Word :) because I'm not very familiar to photoshop and I don't know any good program for making logos.

Sockman: Looks good, although for "Cooled Lava" would it really have grass on it?

What I meant was I'm considering replacing the grass with some cooled magma.

I really can't get it right so far, though, so I'm settling for the grass until then.

EDIT:

newvolcanolevelve1.png

Actually, the dead grass doesn't look half bad. I might end up using this, provided I make the grass "deader" near lava areas or something.

Plus the grass tiles retain their relative sexiness after being put through Dami's Tile Adapt Tool.

that's looks cool sockman, kinda cheese like, which makes sense as it would capture air bubbles while cooling etc... whatever, it's fine. the only issue is if it was cooled magma, it wouldn't be red hot like that and still have grass growing on it, so i'd either make it more grey (more cooled), or swap out the grass, but apart from being 'unrealistic' it looks fine