A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshot thread

ila

I know the framerate could get nasty with all the objects, that's why Im thinking about maybe chopping each act in half, so you run off the edge of the screen in part 1 (think how knuckles ends lava reef act 2) and then start in part 2 of the same act which will end properly with an end panal. It's maybe not as soniccy but at least it would allow for the big level layouts without running at a horrible speed.

It could also allow for some pretty interesting level designs, having 2 kinda different areas in the one act or the occasional miniboss half-way through one act.

And I don't want to be all lecture-guy or whatever, but Blaze if you really mean you wanna make less horizontal levels what I did was just find a site with a bunch of sonic maps (particulary sonic 3/k) and just take a peek at those, and try and learn the ways they lead to multiple paths. Another thing is just avoid having everything leading right, get the player running to the left now and again or working upwards, just to break up the constant holding right a little bit.

I think that's the major difference between megadrive sonic layouts and the sonic advance ones, in the megadrive games you were quite often running to the left as well as right, but in sonic advance 2 and 3 more often than not your just pelting towards the right the whole time, which makes it less of a platformer and more of a racing game.

edit: Jesus I rambled on there something awful, pardon me!

Well, that's basically what I did, actually. Though my level designs seem to be more Emerald Hill Zone than, say, Metropolis Zone.

I also blame the limited size. I don't want to get too big - otherwise the performance issues become too much, as we mentioned. Thus, 19000x1000 seems like a good size with relatively good performance.

I see no problem on splitting the levels, however I think it needs to be done nicely, using a fade effect. I'm not talking about MMF's default fades, since they basically pause everything then fade the image, so the flow feel is broken. You should use a transparent black box of the screen size, then change its alpha value to achieve the effect without pausing everything...

Also, it should be possible to have smooth act transitions in MMF, much like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, if the surrounding layout and parallax is properly aligned, thought I don't think it's really necessary.

But now that I'm thinking about it, maybe the coolest effect would be when Sonic is near the edge, but before touching it, control was removed from the player, the HUD disappeared, the music volume gradually faded (A remixed version of the music could start later on the other part, but that's not obligatory xD) then that black widescreen bands appeared, Sonic walked off-screen (or depending of the level, did some special action) automatically, the screen went black (using a custom fade effect) and a small "Now loading" text appeared on the bottom-right corner. (Since MMF apps take a while to load frames, specially if the frames are complex and you're on a slow computer) The same process could happen in reverse order when Sonic arrives at the part 2.

EDIT: Hey, nice video TRD. I agree with the point of changing the isometry to 1:2. BTW, I didn't know Lara had 30 liters of blood under high pressure....

@Van: Thanks.

@Mark: Lmao! Yeah man, I'm whoring my game out with the blood. That happens after an unfortunate encounter with traps. (Spikes, love 'em). But normal dieing, (poisoning or enemy attacks) will result in normal death. Thanks for noticing.

But again, I'm not sure what 1:2 or 2:1 is, can someone explain and how do I change it?

No, it's not only a graphical change... You'll also need to change the movements. On this camera angle, vertical movement (actually, movement on the depth axis) need to have its speed divided by 2.

Yeah I pretty much know I have to change something other than the block it self. Thanks anyway, I finally know what 2:1 and 1:1 means. I know it's ratios but I didn't know what it was referring to.

tfhingamedk5.png

Work on TFH is going smoother than ever before thanks to using Damizean's MMF2 Sonic engine. With the hardest stuff behind me, everything is coming together very quickly and pretty effortlessly. Though this screenshot doesn't show much, it shows I've ditched the score and lives counters. Working lives and score into the sort of "Metroidvania" gameplay style I have for TFH is kind of pointless in a way. Though I'm thinking of putting score back in for something.

It also shows the new TFH sprite. It's not TOO different from the old sprite, just more polished.

So yeah. Good times. I have a good feeling about this.

Holy ____, a Sonic game with a persistent world in 2D ala Metroid or Castlevania?

EDIT: Another good example of the style is more or less Kirby and the Amazing Mirror... though to a lesser degree.

You never cease to catch my attention dude, if you need any help of the non-graphic-design type, let me in on it :P

Nice work so far guys...

Oh, I wish I had something... interesting to say the least to post but...

gah.png

YAY For descriptive Error Messages! :rolleyes:

Back to the... *sigh* September backup of Sonic's Vacation... At least I can redo the changes more quickly and in a more organized and better implemented way...

But it gave me an idea... (don't ask...) Remember those fusion bosses that people made back in the day that... well... not many people if any used? I'm replacing Silver Sonic's bosses with those... (Silver Sonic being the Sonic 2 protoype Metal Sonic)

And I did find this old piece... From the 2000 edition of Sonic's Vacation (before I scrapped it, did Sonic Velocity, scrapped that due to losing the source)... (the engine from this was a butchered attempt at fixing stop dead in TGF, it worked 60% of the time) But this level will make it into the new Sonic's Vacation, but with very slightly different looks, and parallax...

ancient.PNG

Yes, those are Windows 98 desktop background tiles...

Sonic's legs look a tad long for some reason. Maybe it's because his arms are too short, i dont know.

I mean, I know his arms and legs are normal length. But how big his hands are make his arms look short which inturn make his legs look too long.

I support new styles and takes on the character. Sprites for Genesis are getting too dated and sprites for Advance/Adventure style are too ugly and low res.