A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshot thread

ila

It's not dead, honest!

[qimg]http://www.williamg.plus.com/SXG2005/peakpanic1thumb.gif[/qimg]

Click it for a bigger version (warning it's almost 1000x1000, 25% full size tiles)

Very WIP first wee bit of Peak Panic, Sonic and co can jump off those loops to get to the other paths (think like those big blue pillars in marble garden).

I did something like that recently, with White Acropolis:

waact2wt9.th.png

Same thing goes. :P Very WIP.

I need to learn to make less... horizontal levels.

Oh, trust me. I've got something planned for Act 2. I haven't placed any items yet though, but it's coming.

Agreed.

But on the flipside, I also like to keep forward momentum going as much as possible.

Actually, I have to wonder how Euan is keeping Sonic XG's framerate stable if his levels are that size. Filling big levels like that with rings an enemies should hit the framerate pretty hard... it certainly happens in Shadow of Chaos a lot. Even objects like rings, which have relatively few events for their operation... having too many of those in a frame can really bog the framerate down a lot.

Hell, in Kingdom Valley 2D, if you stick around in one act and destroy all the enemies and collect all the rings, the framerate triples; even in MMF2.

I know the framerate could get nasty with all the objects, that's why Im thinking about maybe chopping each act in half, so you run off the edge of the screen in part 1 (think how knuckles ends lava reef act 2) and then start in part 2 of the same act which will end properly with an end panal. It's maybe not as soniccy but at least it would allow for the big level layouts without running at a horrible speed.

It could also allow for some pretty interesting level designs, having 2 kinda different areas in the one act or the occasional miniboss half-way through one act.

And I don't want to be all lecture-guy or whatever, but Blaze if you really mean you wanna make less horizontal levels what I did was just find a site with a bunch of sonic maps (particulary sonic 3/k) and just take a peek at those, and try and learn the ways they lead to multiple paths. Another thing is just avoid having everything leading right, get the player running to the left now and again or working upwards, just to break up the constant holding right a little bit.

I think that's the major difference between megadrive sonic layouts and the sonic advance ones, in the megadrive games you were quite often running to the left as well as right, but in sonic advance 2 and 3 more often than not your just pelting towards the right the whole time, which makes it less of a platformer and more of a racing game.

edit: Jesus I rambled on there something awful, pardon me!

Thats shorter than it looks. At an average speed it could be thought in like 30 seconds, until there is something that stops you. Making levels is something large and annoying, specially multiple pathed ones. It takes a lot of hours to make something decent and after you reach a certain point, when you are out of ideasm you notice everything can be passed on a short time

Thats shorter than it looks. At an average speed it could be thought in like 30 seconds, until there is something that stops you. Making levels is something large and annoying, specially multiple pathed ones. It takes a lot of hours to make something decent and after you reach a certain point, when you are out of ideasm you notice everything can be passed on a short time

Yeah once you learn that level you would probably be able to rush through it very quickly, but isn't that part of the original sonic games? And remember this is only what would be the first half of the act.

Tomb Raider sneak peak 2, check out the latest updates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpsZVmHV8mo

Note: The Battle system is not final but that's basically what your gonna be working with, a strafing attack when locked on to your enemy.

The stage design you see is just for show, once I finished the engine I will start making the levels but with more details.

I've decided to make the bullets invisible, trust me, if you've seen them in action when locked on to an enemy, you would thank me for it =P.

The enemy A.I. is not final, I will make them more challenging and will have no path movement whatsoever, YAY!

Because I couldn't make the ladder climbing and ledge hanging, I decided to pimp the game with some nice-looking graphics. (Blood!!!) and more to come.

Dude you nearly blew out my friggin ears. That gunshot sample needs to come down a few notches. o.O;;

MUHAHAHAHA!!! My planned worked successfully!!!

Nah, that's the camstudio thing, It increases the sounds by alot, the actual game sounds are lower than that.

TRD, I love it. I absolutely Love it.

I would suggest you tweak the isometricity so thats its 2:1 , not 1:1

Aw shucks, Thanks Midi!:D

Also, DizzyDoo told me I should do that too, but I'm not sure how, he told me to increase the height, but I guess it didn't work. Can you explain what you mean?

@Mr. Worm: Haha! Nah, that was much for show too. I wanted to show off the blood mostly. The battle system is not final, but depending on which gun you have and how powerful the enemy is, you can take him down with different speeds.

Short weapon analysis:

PISTOLS: Shooting range normal, firing rate normal, damage normal.

UZIS: (Yeah!) Shooting range normal, firing rate high, damage normal.

MAGNUMS: Shooting range long, firing rate low, damage high.