A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

Another stage i played had water in it, and you get put into these rooms that completely stop you, spinning sonic in the water, and you have to rotate the screen until sonic gets sucked into a little hole, it's completely dissorienting and I don't even think it's possible to avoid the spikes in the last room of this type before the end of the stage.

I want to know who fucking codes these games now. Whoever it is has no regard for the genesis games in any way shape or form. Not even getting the engine to have SIMILAR physics to the genesis games is bullshit. As much as you kids want to sit here and be excited over this, the sad truth is this game is a complete mess, with a less than stellar engine powering it all. It's like sega keeps giving dimps the keys to the game and dimps just doesn't give a shit about it, they just want money.

With the amount of time sega spent hyping this heap of shit up, they could've put extra care and effort into this game.

I think the only nice thing I have to say about the game is the metropolis zone ripoff had quite a bit of nostalgia packed into it. The artwork is nice, but a tad bland unfortunately. AND 3D MODELS DOES NOT A GOOD SONIC GAME MAKE

If you're still on the fence about purchasing this game, don't. If you still are after that statement, download the demo and see for yourself, or just pirate it.

EDIT: And I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for these last 2 posts, but I'm tired of it, all the reboots, all the terrible rehashes, all the new characters. Sega can take all these things and shove it up their asses, I'll take that mushroom hill 3d remake ANY DAY. I guess some of the anger comes from them tacking on the number 4 at the end of the title and parading this game as the true sequel everyone has been waiting for. You guys can't seriously tell me, man this is really the spiritual successor to 1-3. It's a half assed attempt at getting my money and unfortunately sega doesn't win this round.

Yeah, I'm with you SG. It's no Sonic 4. They'll get my 15 bucks if they can somehow posthumously fix the physics, but until then I got the funky Wii extra special discount and played the hour it took to beat the game and I'm done with it. If I'd have liked it I would've bought the PS3 version, but I really didn't. It was just a tolerable platform game that was intolerably brief and the physics issues killed it for me.

I'm just not delusional enough anymore to keep liking the plates I've been served. I understand sega wants to take sonic in a new direction from the genesis games, which is fine, I've accepted this fact by now. But when a sequel to a series I hold in high regard on a personal level (I grew up on this shit, so what wanna fight about it?) that is supposed to be directly linked to the olden games comes out, I expect a certain amount of quality.

This game has completely failed to bring this level of quality, it feels like they pumped a ton of cash into the artwork for the game and then created the engine at the last second.

It's funny, cause even if sonic colors blows, I won't care, cause it's not trying to pretend it's a sequel to the series I spent a good portion of my childhood diving into and enjoying.

I really hope things get fixed with episode 2, but hoping has gotten me absolutely nowhere in the past when it comes to Sonic, so if it happens, it happens.

EDIT: Sorry for being such a dick about all this, but I'm a bit offended by this game. I feel like we've been shit on and are being laughed at from the Sega HQ.

Another stage i played had water in it, and you get put into these rooms that completely stop you, spinning sonic in the water, and you have to rotate the screen until sonic gets sucked into a little hole, it's completely dissorienting and I don't even think it's possible to avoid the spikes in the last room of this type before the end of the stage.

Took me a few tries to get past it... when you move the screen to make the block move, turn it back around so you go away from the spikes. The block won't go backwards and will stay where you left it. I died at least 10 times figuring this out.

Physics do suck, but the big picture is there. I like it. Any more than $15 and I'd be pissed. But quite frankly, it's a fun game.

Hopefully this is a compliment to games using said engine.

I've never had a problem with worlds. MMF's camera sucks but that's not world's fault.

I'm really not surpised Sonic 4 is getting good reviews as reviewers don't pay attention to physics so much. What I am surpised about is the praise of the graphics after two examples of fans doing better 3D. I honestly couldn't believe how bad and dead the graphics look. If all you have seen is videos and pictures you don't know how bad it looks at least splash hill anyway.

I liked it.

It was an enjoyable game for £10 and the physics were tolerable. Actually, the physics wasn't the bad part. It was just the complete and utter stop you come to when you release the D-Pad. Surely that won't be too hard to fix for Episode 2.

It was a fun time. I expected a bit more from a game flagrantly waving around the name Sonic 4 but it was almost as good as Sonic 1. The Genesis game I hold in least regard anyways, but still comparable to the others. Those Chaos Emeralds were so great to get and the restart menu was a godsend for SS5.

Also, SS7 was easy for some reason.

I told ila I was leaving SFGHQ but I wanted to stop by one more time to complain.

Cause I'm really good at that :D

The music is so abysmal that they're using Michael Jackson's spinning corpse to drill for oil.

Seriously. That's the shittiest fucking music I've heard in a video game since that one time I played my cousin's copy of Rocket Power on GBA. This stuff sucks, and whoever composed it should be demoted to Janitor.

The level design is bland. Any of these levels could be reskinned and called something else, save for the torch level, which sucks anyways. Even the bosses are just lame versions of the old bosses. There's not a single new idea in any of them. None. There's zero creativity in this game. Meanwhile, I'm halfway through Kirby's Epic Yarn, and every level has blown my mind.

The graphics are crap. There's no reason for this to be on new hardware. Backgrounds are prerendered and Sonic being 3D is unnecessary; it's only really utilized once, and it for a cheap effect that lasts a few seconds. You can even compare the "You Won!" screens from Sonic 1 and this, where Sonic's pointing at the screen: Sonic 1's Sonic is practically jumping at you. Sonic 4's...well he's there I guess. Nothing takes advantage of the new hardware in the slightest. I remember playign Klonoa 2 and shooting through all the backdrops. That shit was crazy. This is tame.

The homing attack isn't needed. Sega must think I'm borderline retarded to give me a homing attack and a giant red target. Fuck you. It doesn't even work right all the time. Sometimes he'll randomly shoot at thin air when there's nothing around. Sometimes he'll shoot offscreen at something I didn't see, cause the fucking camera is zoomed all the way in.

Oh, and playing this on a 4:3 TV is just miserable. I didn't move my Wii to the HD TV in the living room, but I don't care. This sucks.

Sonic uncurls when he rolls off a ledge, too. No, fuck you video game. I rolled off the ledge. Keep me in a ball. I rolled off the ramp. Keep me in the fucking ball so I can kill the enemies without using your shitty fucking homing attack, you patronizing fuckhead.

The worst part is that this game isn't even awful. It's just mediocre. Sega can't even properly disappoint me anymore. At least with Unleashed I could laugh at the shitty Werehog:Hedgehog game ratio and retarded concepts. This game can't even give me that. It just makes me bitter.

Sega made a Sonic game that functions...and that's it. Congratulating Sega for that is like congratulating your grandparents for going a whole day without shitting themselves; everyone else can do it too, now hurry up and die.

$15 for a fraction of a C- game (at best) is a joke. Fuck you. I had some optimism for Sonic Colors, but I really don't care about this franchise anymore, and Sega's spoiled pretty much any good will I had towards them

so on a whim I bought the game.

I really like it, I enjoyed it, I'll probably play it a few more times.

It has it's bad points, but so do all the other sonic games, even the earlier ones.

the stopping dead in mid-air? i got over that heartbreak roundabout act 2.

i honestly don't mind it at all.

i still think i could do a much better job with the music.

so that's what i'm going to do, keep an eye on this guy for an alternate Sonic 4 soundtrack - devoid of shitty synth.

i still think i could do a much better job with the music.

so that's what i'm going to do, keep an eye on this guy for an alternate Sonic 4 soundtrack - devoid of shitty synth.

While I like quite a few of the tracks, I am still excited for this if you go through with it. You make some nice tunes, and thanks to custom playlists I can just play 'em when you make them. Woo.

As for the rest of your post I pretty much agree. It was odd controlling Sonic for the first two zones and while it still can be frustrating, after a while I got used to the way he handled and it didn't become such a problem anymore. It could use some tweaking that is for sure, and I hope they fix a few things for episode 2, but overall I'm having fun with it too.