A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

...and the frustrating special stages AKARSKDLKTSR

Has anyone gotten the seventh emerald yet? Every time I try to get the seventh emerald and fail I feel like throwing my iPod touch against a brick wall and ripping the accelerometer out of it's shattered remains (man those stages are tough!).

Has anyone gotten the seventh emerald yet? Every time I try to get the seventh emerald and fail I feel like throwing my iPod touch against a brick wall and ripping the accelerometer out of it's shattered remains (man those stages are tough!).

I finished Sonic 4 in one day, emeralds took all night. I could've spent that night drawing things on graph paper for S:R, but I got all hardcore gamer like and couldn't stop playing.

The magic of the classics were the physics.

Now physics are really fucked up.

Maybe a good game, but not worth the name and not worth the price.

I loved Sonic Heroes and Unleashed, and when the things are suposed to improve, they fall like this...

I dont wanna say this, but I should admit it, I dont like this game CUZ OF THE PHYSICS !!

FUUUUUUUU !!

EDIT

And also the way homming attack works, at first i thought it was not gonna be a bad thing but now... i hate it

I'm a hater !! NooooooooOOoOoo!

There was more to the classics than just the physics. Don't get me wrong, the physics were an important and wonderful part of them, but even if the physics for them were like the physics in this there would still have been good games in them in spite of that.

Frankly aside from the physics there were lots of other little things that nibbled on my potential to enjoy this game. For instance homing attack chains over pits of death (something which by the way I had predicted the instant the homing attack was ever mentioned, which is funny because the homing attack has been in lots of 2D Sonic games yet this one was the first one to actually shove it down your throat by making it your only option of attack very frequently) or vines that don't quite work like they should. Waggle gimmicks that come up a little awkard like those seasaws and the stupid water plug thing SG was talking about. The way the rings bounced and could get stuck in long strings of spikes, the way they'd chain together the same gimmick over and over again as if it constituted some kind of challenge (protip: if you can navigate 3 waggle seasaws blocking your progress, you can navigate 20)

More needs work than just the physics.

YAAAAAY! At the time of posting this message, HyperMonkeyKing (me) is top of the PS3 Time Attack leaderboard for Special Stage 5 with a time of 1'01"00! But then again, game's not been out long, so someone will beat it soon, but it's nice to be on top while it lasts.

This one's a pain in the iPhone version, so much easier on PS3, even though it's the same damn stage.

EDIT: My time seems to have magically changed without me playing again, it's gone from 1'01"00 to 1'04"32, strange. And yes, more time seems to be a good thing on this leaderboard.

While the physics issue is probably one of the deadest horses to ever suffer a beating, I recorded this, and I'm posting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfQFTTeHybA

I find the game, from the demo at least, to be decent fun but there's a lot wrong with it. Mostly the fact that half the time the jump/spin/homing attack buttons tend to do one of their other functions in the middle of another function - i.e. suddenly jump and air dash while trying to spin dash.

Also, they make absolutely no effort to hide the graphics layers. Sonic clips in and out of loops all over the place. The actual level art seems to be awkwardly placed over itself in places, and break-away ground pieces' animation makes it look like it pops out of existence and then back into existence before it actually breaks.

It's okay.

This is kinda random but I think sonic's jumping animation would be 10x better if it had that "blue aura" around him, like when he spins.

No, from what i've seen, the spinning speed of the animation isnt dependent on the speed Sonic is traveling, which is why it looks so off.

I finished Sonic 4 in one day, emeralds took all night. I could've spent that night drawing things on graph paper for S:R, but I got all hardcore gamer like and couldn't stop playing.

I wish I could play it. I still haven't yet but will be as soon as I get some cash together for a wireless router for the 360.