A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

I'd suggest you wait it goes down in price.

Yeah, good suggestion. I am wondering if there would be any chance that the game will be released in physical form. Or maybe they will do that after all the rest of the episodes are released. Wouldn't mind having a Sonic 4 box sitting on my shelf. You know, would make a collectors item too.

I hope they do release it that way sometime!

I thought they did a good remix of that personally.

My point wasn't whether it's a bad remix or not, but Jun Senoue (spelling?) sucks, and my point was that:

Robotnik's Big Gay Circus.

They ran out of stuff to rehash, so they rehashed cut assets.

Also, IMO, the song is unfitting (and the "Phase II" song when Eggman gets "angry" is VERY repetitive). You know, how in Sonic 1, the boss music makes you go, "Oh noez, it's Robotnik!", and in Sonic 2, the boss music makes you go, "osnap, it's Robotnik!", and in Sonic 3&Knuckles the boss music makes you go, "holyshit, it's Robotnik!, and in Sonic 4, the boss music makes you go, "hey look it's a fatass lololol".

just DLed the demo.

Graphically, i dont know whether this game looks nice or terrible. While the backgrounds LOOK nice, they got a fucking 7 year old to put them together. The back layers however look absolutely terrible. Sonic almost doesn't really fit in with the stage, and his animations are shitty. The physics feel off. I dont know what it is EXACTLY but off. I actually think most of it has to do with how lazy they got with sonic's animations. The music isn't terrible, it's just arranged really badly.

I dont know what the hell they were thinking with this pseudo-retro style they have going on here, but i think it's really the absolute worst aspect of this game. From the music to the title cards to even the misplaced sound effects (Spindash release sound used for the revving sound? What the fuck?), it just feels like one giant, ugly mess that they had no direction with.

As for the GAMEPLAY....You know, it really didn't bother me. Aside from the fact i expected (this game being on 360/ps3, and running on an engine that's more than capable of changing perspective) to have the screen actually zoom out a bit when im traveling faster so i can actually see shit. The levels actually aren't terrible, and after i decided to ignore the other flaws, the one stage was pretty fun. Besides, it's only the first stage.

Im pissed they called a single act of a stage a fucking demo, but whatever. It isnt a complete fuckup like i imagined, but it still doesn't warrant a buy from me, for the main fact this game could have been thousands of times more impressive if it was actually "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" and not "Sonic: Rushjob Nostalgia Remix Payoff".

Heres hoping Ep2 fixes shit, but since they aren't "doing anything wrong" and "are on the right track FINALLY yay", we all know they wont. It's just another hunk of wasted potential and half-ass'ed ness from Sega and that shitty office they're calling "Sonic Team" now.

Edit: Homing Attack really, really should have been omitted from this game. The reason that it was included in Sonic Adventure has absolutely no standing in a 2D platformer. Insta-Shield worked just fine for increasing your range and allowing you to safely thrash enemies. It takes all the potential level exploration and throws it out the window.

Mainly in the parts of the demo where i'd homing attack a nicely set trail of enemies and then fall to my doom since the screen fails to show you where to go next and the stage fails to tell you to keep holding the directional key.

Wow another edit:

Okay so Sonic no longer rolls down hills

and can stand on 80 degree slopes

Edit: (Oh my god):

Actually, he can stand on 90 degree walls. if you can manage to walk on a surface and crouch and let go, he'll fucking stand there. Oh god i need to make a youtube video of this shit. If it isn't a wall you can go slow enough to Crouch on, you can still manage to walk up it like spiderman. That said, there isn't a single loop i havent managed to walk around.

there isn't a single loop i havent managed to walk around.

Actually, my older bro and I where playing yesterday (my brother stopped playing sonic games after sonic and knuckles) and we couldn't stop laughing at the fact that we could literary walk around loops casually.

Also, I found a glitch where you can stand on some spikes and you will never die because your rings will always bounce back to you.

I see DW's post as obvious proof that there's really no topping S3&K. Then again, your mileage may vary. Anywho, I've been itching to get the full game to see for myself how good it might be, but I don't have the funds to buy it.

Edit: I can haz moneh plz? (Just kidding, I'll have some by christmas, I'm certain)

(Feels like last few posts have been broken records skipping).

Go as fast as you can up any ramp. Dont press anything so you can fall back into the curve and accelerate down the hill. Hold down the Forward button. All momentum will be canceled. Then you can crouch and let go and stand on the 89 degree slope.

This game almost doesn't have a physics engine.

I wish I had the opportunity to talk personally to those who have their hands in on this game and the future episodes. Mostly just to ask some simple questions and request some minor things. Truthfully, I don't think most of you would like Sonic 4 even IF they fixed the physics and other things. I see that you guys dont like anything. So Sonic does that walking up the slopes. Who spends their time trying to do that anyways? You guys intentionally LOOK for things wrong with the game.

Truthfully, I don't think most of you would like Sonic 4 even IF they fixed the physics and other things. I see that you guys dont like anything.

Nice ASSumption there. I would totally enjoy this game if Sonic didn't control like a tank.

Who spends their time trying to do that anyways?

I don't have to try. It just does it. Stray from that controlled path of speed boosters and springs and it's gettin' stuck time.