A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

I love how every little promotional blog thing someone at Sega posts is blown way out of proportion as some kind of huge scheme that everyone from the development team, rather than say one or two of the marketing guys at SOA/SOE, are responsible for.

So I beat this game (wii) tonight guys, didn't bother getting the chaos emeralds.

My synopsis:

It is one of the best Sonic games that has come out post SA2. That isn't saying much however.

In comparison to Sonic 1 CD 2 3K it pales in comparison in the gameplay department. In fact, my little brother even said "wth is this? this isn't sonic".. when i let him play.

That being said, it runs rather smoothly but it is pretty slow compared to any of the 2d sonics.

It is short. I beat it in 45 minutes to an hour, but you probably already knew that considering there are only 4 zones.

It looks beautiful, very visually pleasing.

Overall, Sonic 4 is not a very pleasant or enjoyable experience. As short as the game is, it has you going through each stage wanting to see the next one, as you are bored and annoyed by the current stage. It keeps you occupied, it isn't really boring and some parts such as Lost Labyrinth are quite intriguing. For the most part though, it isn't hype.

The physics aren't the same as rush. The rush engine is much better. Either that, or the level design doesn't fit this engine.

There are a lot of badly place things that will get you killed. I died many many many many times because of dumb shit. Not because of lack of skill, I as well as all of you have the sonic formula down packed. It is really just stupidity of the game design that kills you and that will make you even more angry.

Boss music and some of the stage music is the worst that I have ever heard in a sonic game. Ever. period.

Overall, it definitely isn't worth 15$ on its own. I would pay $20 for all 3 episodes, but not $15 for this pile of filth.

Even excluding the other sonic games as variables, this game is pretty annoying. It is a potentially fun game: It could be fun if you just want to mindlessly play a game without paying attention, but you can't do that or else you'll probably die from something you're not supposed to.

:)

Sonic 4s look wouldn't suck if the levels tiles weren't grainy filtery and looked like jpg tiles

How did they even think it was a good idea!?

Instant Detail, just add fuzz.

Alllllrighty, so I just tried the PSN version demo snatched off the JP servers. The physics are bad. Really bad. I mean, if you stop holding forward during a jump, you will come to a complete x velocity stop within about 20 frames or so. It's pretty heinous.

Aside from that, the one level that was in the demo was completely unremarkable, so I guess if I want to do any kind of real review for this thing, I'm going to have to wait until it's out.

Also, in line with what Ila is saying, the thing where if you roll off an embankment you uncurl? Yeah, that's shit.

As for the other stuff I can comment on at the moment, the graphics are disjarring. Sonic himself doesn't seem to fit into the world. It's like his model is hovering somewhere in front of the level itself. Some of the artwork is done in flat images and some of it is done with models. Wherever the models start overlapping the flats, things start to turn awkward.

It isn't just during jumps that ceasing to hold forward instantly cuts all your movement. It's pretty much all the time as long as you aren't being pushed around by gimmicks. If you let go of the d-pad for an instant, your acceleration is gone. Contrary to what Ila was telling me, the homing attack is actually incredibly exploitable though. Two homing attacks is enough to pick up a pretty ridiculous amount of speed... though the actual weight of the homing attack almost seems random. It feels weird in general.

If you use a homing attack and fail to hit an enemy, it will look like you are curled, but you'll still get hurt if you touch an enemy.

One of the most remarkable things to mention is the zoom. I'm playing in 1080p (obviously widescreen) and the size of everything is just massive compared to the classics. It's remarkable how they have all this extra screen and they still manage to keep the scale about the same as one of those damned Sonic Advance games. It gets pretty weird though when you see giant Sonic running through really tiny loops.

A quick test confirms some zooming, though not as much as I expected. On the big screen, Sonic occupies roughly 1/6th vertical length of the screen while jumping while in the classics it was closer to 1/7th. Not a huge big deal, but it seems a lot bigger for some reason. Of course, this is in 1:1 with no safe frame cropping... I wouldn't make a noob mistake like that.

Sonic pushing on spikes... It's remarkable how sloppy it is compared to what the originals were like. It used to look pretty believable, but now there is like this gap between Sonic's hands and the spikes. I'm guessing it was just a sloppy collision box on the spikes, but still... it's pretty wacky looking.

Much thanks, DW, although I have a question. I accidentally selected the last checkbox in setup... And I heard from a European Youtuber who also had a tut. on the subject that said not to do it, and I have a bad habit of getting ahead of myself. What do I do?

Edit: downloaded the Sonic 4. Demo. THEY HAVEN'T FIXED THE SONIC ON THE WALL ISSUE.

Haha... yeah, I suppose it's not that big of an issue... I've noticed the extreme deceleration, too. And it's really, really annoying. Frankly, the tiling could be so much better. Also, I'm disappointed that the trial version is so small. I was expecting to play more than just act 1.