A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New Sonic 2D game (Project Needlemouse)

DimensionWarped

Oh hell, even if it was 2D Sprites on a 3D background (just like BlazBlue) I'd love that. It is a very nice looking game, whenever I turn on my Xbox that is usually all I play unless I plan ahead of time to play something else with anyone.

Turns out that Needlemouse site was about a fan project. o.o

"From: Needlemouse.com PR Dept.

To: The Internet

Sept. 10, 2009

You've found our Needlemouse project! Congratulations!

You may think you're looking at a sample of the upcoming Sega game, which according to recent speculation is called Project Needlemouse. What you've stumbled on is actually a fan-created game that we’ve been calling Needlemouse: The Emerald Hills since we began working on it a few months ago.

Here’s the story. What you see above is some early environment art from a 3D re-imagining of a classic series, aimed recreating the tried-and-true side-scrolling platformer with a lot more eye-candy. We are

Jono Forbes and Matt Schoen,

a pair of game developers who really loved the original, kinematic hedgehog, and decided it would be fun to give him an update.

We registered www.needlemouse.com to host our hobby project while we continue to collaborate over a long distance. (A quick Google search turned up no references or links to other games, so we -- ironically -- thought it would be a unique handle for the project.) We had no idea Sega was working on their just-announced Project Needlemouse. No kidding: a total coincidence. Our project officially began in early May although, as with many of our ideas, it had been "on the table" since long before and neither we nor the project have any connection whatsoever with Sega (other than being satisfied customers).

Needlemouse: The Emerald Hills is purely a tribute, a nod of the head, an homage to one of the gaming world’s watershed events. We’re just having fun with a piece of extreme (interactive) fan-art as a tribute to our favorite game and the developer of many of the games we grew up on.

We must stress that we have no interest in benefiting commercially from our project, and value it only in terms of a representation of our skills and hopefully a fresh experience while taking a stroll down memory lane. We will continue to update this site for like-minded fans who are interested in our progress.

Stay tuned here for a news feed, forum, more game content, and upcoming Windows and OS X public beta!

Thanks for stopping by.

-J&M"

http://www.needlemouse.com/

I'm not gonna read through 9 pages right now, but I'm going to say that returning to old-school graphics doesn't mean the gameplay won't be terrible. I have zero faith in Sonic Team to pull this off. It sounds like they're just trying to win back interest from old fans by using the old jump sound effect and an old-school logo. It's nothing to get excited about yet.

Honestly I'm kindof wary of them even attempting something like this period, because simply attempting to return to Sonic's original style can easily ruin any integrity the series has left.

It's like, one of those things that really just shouldn't be messed with, especially given the track record.

Oh balls. I forgot all about the possibility of them DESTROYING THE REMAINING INTEGRITY OF THE SERIES! Oh no, what will we do if they do that?

Oh, thats right... I don't believe in that kind of utter fucking bullshit. If they couldn't fuck things up that image with Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush, then why in the hell should this make a difference? We had Sonic Heroes. It had all the sureality of the original series while it played like Aaaaaasss. And no one uses that as a reflection for the originals.

Fact is, no game is ever going to just up and vanish. The original set will always stand on their own and nothing new will ever be able to crop up and join them, for better or for worse. It doesn't matter if the new game is utter dogshit or the best game in existence.

If they couldn't fuck things up that image with Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush, then why in the hell should this make a difference?

Because... They were generally well-recieved by fans and critics alike and yet completely ignored at the same time in discussions on Sonic's reputation? Though your mileage may vary, sure, the Rush games were actually fun, and yet when people say that Sonic's on a streak of bad games, they tend to forget about those ones.

Because... They were generally well-recieved by fans and critics alike and yet completely ignored at the same time in discussions on Sonic's reputation? Though your mileage may vary, sure, the Rush games were actually fun, and yet when people say that Sonic's on a streak of bad games, they tend to forget about those ones.

People generally forget handhelds as gaming platforms, and focus on home consoles. Except when you're talking about Pokemon...

Neither of those series would have fared well at all had they been console games and an 8 isn't faring well at all when you are talking about a game that comes from origins of near-perfection. Also, from my point of view none of them were even as fun as Sonic Heroes. Reviewers and fans alike are idiots when it comes down to figuring out what is and isn't good about a game. They tend to harp on things like minimalism and how annoying characters are instead of thinking about any kind of actual game.

Problem is, when it comes to the console world, something like Sonic Rush won't work. You can't please someone who plans to play for 2 or more straight hours with a game that never really evolves beyond its first stage with the exception of adding zounds of instant death traps.

I don't like Sonic Unleashed (at all), but I'll say right now it has more value as a game than either Rush.

And before you ask, that goes for all the Advanced titles too. There simply wasn't enough creativity put into the levels to make them stand out from one another and that is always enough to kill a game.

Regardless of all that, the issues are simple. Sonic Rush was 2D. Sonic Rush was nothing like a Sonic game. No one went and revised their opinions of Sonic because of Sonic Rush. Point made.

And before you ask, that goes for all the Advanced titles too. There simply wasn't enough creativity put into the levels to make them stand out from one another and that is always enough to kill a game.

I'll agree with that regarding Advance 2 and 3 (Oh god, especially 2), but the first game had some pretty nice level design. It wasn't all dashpads and springs.

Sonic Advance might be one of the best approaches of a next gen game compared to the old ones (IMO, Sonic Pocket Adventure was the best), but yet it had many flaws. The levels where too linear compared to the old ones and it lacked of new gimmicks: the ones that the game had either was a copy of the old games - boring, because there was nothing new to see - or the same new gimmick appeared in more than one stage, so no stage was unique.

I'm positive about this one too. For the very first time they are really focusing on retro, and after Sega admiting that it's impossible to please all Sonic fans with one Sonic game and showing that logo with Sonic in the retro style shows that in this game they will try to please the classic lovers.

They will try. Will they get it? We must wait to see... =/