A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus 2008 Demo is Out

The Taxman

I feel kinda degraded in the sense that "I'm am just an animator working for free!". I mean come on, just tell me whats wrong, and I'll attempt to fix whatever problem there is. Just don't tell me "You work for free and I'm just a bonus thats there" I'll attempt to try to add some more frame by frame, I'll also remove some tweening. As well I will touch up on the artwork as well on the background and such. This is just the first release of the intro I assure it'll get better in later releases...but for now just tell me some specific parts that really need work.

The main problem I have is the generic flash animation--you're drawing frames and manipulating them on whatever axis for movement. [...] Still it's pretty blatant and easy to point out the "flash" feel because of how people manipulate sections of a graphic on an axis.

This.

The movement is very stiff and some of the shapes (like the ones used for the Bumblecopters) look sort of plain. I will say that the palmtree jumping section did look good, but the animations in sections where Sonic is running definitely loop too quickly. (Especially that part where Sonic is running into the screen.)

You have done well so far, but it would be nice if you could step up the quality a little so it does not look like an ordinary Flash video.

Sorry. I worded that poorly. I'll help you go through it later on this week and we'll try and hammer out whats there.

But you know, unless you are planning to go back and draw everything frame by frame, it isn't like this is going to look perfect :M I'm just trying to have some realistic expectations here.

Anyway, let's start with the whole buzz bomber segment. The eyes, the motion, everything.

Sorry about the Buzz-bomber in the intro, It was made way back before I knew about the enemies in the game.

This is the version with the Heli-bomber. (I liked the tiny eyes so I kept it, Brad didn't mind) As for the movement, I'll add some helicopter like movements.

http://rgxsupersonic.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Nexus-Intro-complete-96627184

• Like 1

attachment.php?attachmentid=900&stc=1&d=1220475407

I am by no means the best time trial doer, but I found a pretty nice path. I screwed up towards the end and kinda also to the middle and probably could have got 52 seconds or so if I didn't. So I don't doubt that someone made a 50 second run.

Basically my path is to fall down the third hole and use your downward momentum to go fast. The rest is pretty obvious, just a few places where you need to slow down to roll into things.

post-20-138639762557_thumb.jpg

Rgx, you should add more frames of animation into Sonic's running. It reminds me of Megaman NES sprites. There's a frame for the right leg, a frame for the legs in the middle, and a frame for the left leg.

That, and make more detailed grass. A green gradient with a little whooshing effect doesn't look like grass. I'm not sure WHAT it looks like, actually... Maybe metal with a shine going over it.

Rgx, you should add more frames of animation into Sonic's running. It reminds me of Megaman NES sprites. There's a frame for the right leg, a frame for the legs in the middle, and a frame for the left leg.

That, and make more detailed grass. A green gradient with a little whooshing effect doesn't look like grass. I'm not sure WHAT it looks like, actually... Maybe metal with a shine going over it.

Yes, good call. I was aware of the grass and such, I'll also add some bushes as well and change the greenhill-like palmtrees.

• Like 1

[qimg]http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=900&stc=1&d=1220475407[/qimg]

I am by no means the best time trial doer, but I found a pretty nice path. I screwed up towards the end and kinda also to the middle and probably could have got 52 seconds or so if I didn't. So I don't doubt that someone made a 50 second run.

Basically my path is to fall down the third hole and use your downward momentum to go fast. The rest is pretty obvious, just a few places where you need to slow down to roll into things.

That makes sense then. I usually jump down the first hole and do a 1 rev spindash to hit the spring afterwards in one jump.

I was already doing the third hole bit. From there though, it can be a little tricky figuring out which path you need to take.

@RGX: What I was referring to with the eyes didn't have anything to do with the their design, but rather in how they are animated. Seems better than I remember though. I think the next thing you should look at is how the ground seems less like it's being ran along and more like it's shifting back and forth. Still talking about the buzz bomber bumblecopter scene of course. Also, how about more slow panning when you have mostly static scenes? Like for instance where Sonic is running and we see him from a diagonal angle near the bumblecopter segment, pull the camera up and to the left at a really slow rate while thats going on to reduce the feel of it being a static scene. There are many areas where that applies to.

One of my larger issues right now is with the homogenized rolling animation. Make it look less like a blurry orb and more like it has details coming out of it.

Similar issues can be applied to the waterfalls, which look more like pouring gradients than chaotic visages of majesty. We really need to go the extra mile with waterfalls... they are meant to be some of the most breathtaking things in nature.

played through this once so far, and it took me over 3 minutes =( spectacular job here guys! just one little niggle, towards the end, on the the bottommost path just after the 2nd hang glider section, there is a fall-away platform. if you miss the jump, it's quite difficult to make the extra distance. so much so that i though it was physically impossible, and back tracked for a a while to try and find another route around, which i didn't, so i hammered at it a bit more until i got it pixel perfect. while probably moreso my sucktacular skills, it did break the flow a bit. i would suggest either making the fall-away floor respawn off screen like in other games, or close the gap a tiny bit to make the jump a little easier. keep up the good work!

EDIT: i think it was act 2

well....

attachment.php?attachmentid=901&stc=1&d=1220479978

first time using the 3rd hole, and it shaves multiple seconds off my final time.

I can definately get to 53 seconds, most likely 52, but i dont see how someone can beat the stage in 50 seconds.

Edit: changed the picture. I actually got hit TWICE that run.

The #1 thing about getting fast times on this stage is maximizing use of the one fast shoes box in the level. After it wears off, sonic moves so god forsaken slow its hard to get over hills...

post-143-138639762558_thumb.jpg

I managed to cut off 2 seconds exactly. There are a couple of places you could cut time if you did it differently, but they look far too acrobatic for me.

My time trial at 52.91 seconds (sorry for the various quality issues, it's my first time making and/or uploading a video):