A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus 2008 Demo is Out

The Taxman

Yes. That huge thing with Robotnik's face. The Eggtimer Fortress (my name) AKA Wicked Works (level name) AKA Egg Clock (early name).

In other news, this week's Meet That Badnik is up.

When Brad told me to design the clock tower he didn't have a name for it besides it being in the wicked works level, so I pretty much dubbed it as the Egg-Clock...I always thought that was the official name since we always referred to it as the Egg-Clock...:squestion:

The fact there's no Super Sonic battle, doesn't mean there's no Super Sonic gameplay :/

This. Super Sonic will be there. He just won't be used for the final boss. Brad and I talked about it one night and just decided that the idea that a final boss with Super Sonic being mandatory should never have become a given for the series.

That said, we'll still have a level/boss available only if you get all the emeralds. Good endings, bad endings...all fun.

@RGX: The name Eggtimer Fortress was finalized right around the time we released the demo. It just sounds more menacing and it fits the whole pun-based naming convention.

It isn't mandatory too often. It's just kindof an extension of the whole good\bad ending concept in the 2D games, rewarding you for collecting those damn emeralds with more gameplay. You can satisfactorily beat Sonic and Knuckles without the emeralds, as it ends with a pretty satisfying final boss, you just don't get the extra stage they pushed in to reward the emerald collecting.

Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Rush, Sonic 2006, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Rush Adventure...

Oh wait, thats all of them. I'm sorry, if every single one isn't too often, I'm left wondering what is? Fact is, if the final enemy and the good ending can only be achieved in a certain way, then it's mandatory.

Its not that Super Sonic can't be fun for final bosses, its because Sonic Team hasn't made a game in which it is and/or challenging. The only final boss involving a super formed character I thought was fun and somewhat difficult was from Sonic and the Secret Rings, but then again it had different gameplay and it wasn't Super Sonic. So far all Super Sonic final bosses have been way too easy and not fun at all but as long as there is some difficulty, there shouldn't be complaints..

For in levels not so much, pretty much your invincible and there isn't much challenge unless the level contains lots of bottomless pits or things that'll crush you. (or any one hit kill gimmicks that super sonic isn't immune to.)

Its not that Super Sonic can't be fun for final bosses, its because Sonic Team hasn't made a game in which it is and/or challenging. The only final boss involving a super formed character I thought was fun and somewhat difficult was from Sonic and the Secret Rings, but then again it had different gameplay and it wasn't Super Sonic. So far all Super Sonic final bosses have been way too easy and not fun at all but as long as there is some difficulty, there shouldn't be complaints..

For in levels not so much, pretty much your invincible and there isn't much challenge unless the level contains lots of bottomless pits or things that'll crush you. (or any one hit kill gimmicks that super sonic isn't immune to.)

The problem stems from Sonic being invincible during these fights. In order to cope with that, they just make hits even more annoying than usual. The answer is simple really. Take away the invincibility. Of course, thats what Sonic and the Secret Rings did. And to me, it probably had one of the better Super Sonic fights.

Besides, it introduces an artificial timer and reduces emphasis on the boss, placing the emphasis on a stupid ring hunt. Again, something Sonic and the Secret Rings cleverly did away with.

The problem stems from Sonic being invincible during these fights. In order to cope with that, they just make hits even more annoying than usual. The answer is simple really. Take away the invincibility. Of course, thats what Sonic and the Secret Rings did. And to me, it probably had one of the better Super Sonic fights.

Yes, I'm glad were on the same page here. Some games involved taking away sonic's rings but only with certain attacks (Sonic advance 2 for example), personally I wished we had a boss fight in which every attack took away a certain amount of rings. It'll add more challenge and difficulty while your losing more rings per second ..

@Slinger-

Changed, and that's as far as I'm going to. I'm not going to not describe the enemies because you did it too. Slinger doesn't believe that imitation is the best type of flattery anyway, so whatever.

@Lark- It's actually someone whose helping me on the game. AND he gets a discount on the server because they lied to him about the server being empty(there was a naruto fansite on it too). And I plan to pay him back the whopping $10 a year for the domain.

EDIT- On topic-

I did love the demo, it's one of the few demos I can go back and play again(maybe it's that I want to win the time attack). I think all the glitches have been mentioned already, but I noticed if you jump and land going down a hill, you get a pretty big boost of speed. I don't remember any other games doing this. Dunno whether it was intentional or not.

Yeah you guys can stop taking swipes at ayling's penis now. Just be flattered you've had an impact on someone. Its not like his game can get more attention than yours anyway.

Although the similarities were quite funny, Nexus was not the first to do it either. And besides, its not like Sonic the Hedgehog enemies have that much depth to them besides jumping on their heads or spindashing them from a specific direction.

Yeah you guys can stop taking swipes at ayling's penis now. Just be flattered you've had an impact on someone. Its not like his game can get more attention than yours anyway.

Although the similarities were quite funny, Nexus was not the first to do it either. And besides, its not like Sonic the Hedgehog enemies have that much depth to them besides jumping on their heads or spindashing them from a specific direction.

I've openly acknowledged that the feature is a ripoff from the Smash Brothers blog. And really, I was somewhat intrigued by the fact that someone else decided to do something similar. Don't get too up on your highhorse man. It's not like I, the writer involved here, was very condescending at all.

Besides, this feature is all just a lead-in to my upcoming "Welcome to the Machine" feature... which is going to be about the vastly more interesting bosses.