A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus 2008 Demo is Out

The Taxman

Well, Sonic CD didn't have the angular spin dash, either. With angular spindash it's like it's digging into the ground, but with the other one it's hydroplaning. But obviously it's lower-priority, especially if you haven't decided what to do. Also, I'll just add that I personally love the sprited dust trail and not so much the particle dust trail that some fangames use.

Sonic CD didn't have a lot of things. We might be basing a lot of the art angles and base physics on Sonic CD, but thats about it really.

I'd like to see about using an improved particle effect dust trail. Not quite like the one in Sonic Worlds, but more like something that has a little more physics, a little more randomness in the disipation, and something that just looks more like kicking up lots of dust.

I'm going to nitpik for just one second.

Will someone add the dust trail behind Sonic when he charges his spin dash? I have always hated that about Retro Sonic now I hate it about Nexus too.

That's highly irrelevant at this point, it's one of those things you do when you have absolutely every other aspect taken care of. Heck, if this demo consisted of squares and circles instead of actual graphics, it would still play well, and that's what we should all actually nitpick about(?) during this phase of development. I mean, come on! It has an opening cinematic! Back in my day, when you had an opening cinematic, you went 'wow!', and not 'the animation isn't fluid enough' (like SOME people on this forum).

I didn't have time for more than 2 playthroughs, busy writing magazine reviews, but I can't say enough how I liked this game. When it's done, I'll recommend it to every Serbian Sonic fan I know of.

I want to abandon MMF. There's GM, but I really hate it. Then there's Construct, but it's still new. I can see why Nexus was abandoned on the SW Engine.

If you're used to MMF and understand the static engine, you might have a good programmation logic, that is enough for you to start building an engine in C++, there is a lot of libraries that draws graphic on screen like SDL, that make the hardest part of the work for you.

I quited MMF and started learning C++ 2 years ago and now I have an almost ready engine (thanks to taxman's help!), but it just took me all that long because I stopped the project for one year... I believe that in one year you can do something good in C++ starting from now.

And one year is not a lot of time... It's like, next Sage you could show us something...

Back in my day...

...fangames had to walk 15 miles to get to school and 5 miles from there to get work. And we were barefoot in the snow, uphill- both ways, while it was raining during a tornader. ::shakes fist::

I honestly didn't notice either the lack of dust or the lack of fluffy animals. >.>:;

I honestly didn't notice either the lack of dust or the lack of fluffy animals. >.>:;

Those fluffy animals deserved to be stuffed into the robots so you could open them like pinata's and eat the fluffiness inside!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

Now to ward off the PETA attack...

Testimonials on your site I see Nexus team... Well deserved though...

You mean like the "cute little animals jumping out of the badnicks after they are destroyed." :P

Not that you were actually nitpicking about that.

It wasn't nitpicking as much as it was 'if it had that, I would proceed to run around naked with nostalgic joy'.

Also, ssb, you win an internet.

I always hated Sonic CD. Maybe it was the music, or the gay time travel gimmick. But for some reason, i beat that whole, superlong game and cant remember a damn thing past Palmtree Panic and its horrible music.

which i later (a few months in fact) found out was horrible because i had the American version and not the Japanese version (thanks slingerland), which is 100 trillion times more fun simply because the soundtrack isnt shit. (except for the Sonic Boom part)

/rant

Seeing as I know I can't compete against everyone else in time attack and I'm massively bored, I decided to record myself ( surprisingly places back decently even though it ran the game slow in the process ) doing a time attack run Sonic 1 style; without the spincharge maneuver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KbNb6EskdA

If I'm ever unlazy later on, I may upload better runs. *shrugs*

Announcement:

Mac Build is now ready. Same demo basically.

http://rsonic.randomsonicnet.org/Nexus2008Mac.zip

There is a known issue where sometimes the sounds don't play. If that happens, restart the application and hope that they do. Apparently it's intermittent and related to the Mac bass library. Anyway, now our resident mac population can get in on the fun.

Guys I was just kidding about the dust trail I thought that was apparent in the first post but then very apparent in the second one. As long as its implanted before the final game I'm happy. I just always did notice Retro Sonic never has had it and now neither did Nexus. I just noticed that's all, I was trying to use "nitpick" very lightly.

Guys I was just kidding about the dust trail I thought that was apparent in the first post but then very apparent in the second one. As long as its implanted before the final game I'm happy. I just always did notice Retro Sonic never has had it and now neither did Nexus. I just noticed that's all, I was trying to use "nitpick" very lightly.

Actually, the 2007 demo of Retro-Sonic did have it :P go check it out foo