A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus 2008 Demo is Out

The Taxman

Very nice as usual. Here are some things that I noticed.

Pros:

- Nice level design/gimmicks. (I liked the slider thing.)

- Excellent music.

- Very smooth engine.

Cons:

- Sonic seemed to hesitate a little when I tried to quickly jump multiple times. It seemed worse when I was running at a full sprint.

- The intro video seemed a little cheesy. The presentation for this game is very professional, but I thought that the intro video took away from that.

- The movement of Sonic's hand on the title screen looks weird. It looks like it rotates too far, and the way that it moves looks very mechanical.

Excellent work guys. I can't wait to see the finished game.

...developed independent of RSXG (which is coming later this year probably ;) )

Later this year? Is that the full game or just a demo? Retro Sonic XG is another game that I can't wait to be completed.

I think the I'm one of the ones who doesn't really like the music. Hrook (aka Sage), is a great musician. I just think the level need a more upbeat tune like Palmtree Panic (US version). I did like the music.

ClassicSonicRules:

My guess it might be a demo. Either way, I'm just waiting for the RS SDK. Hey, that rhymed.

Heh... Spotted a glitch there at the beginning. : p

That's what happens when Slinger places the wrong tile in the rsdk XD. To be fair, because we both worked on designing the level layout/mappings I didn't actually tell him which tiles I made were which. So yeah, more play testing will iron out these mishaps hah.

Oh and grassy levels are the worst for this sort of stuff, because you have parts that sonic's meant to go through and parts that aren't... Pristine Palisade's gonna be sooo easy to do in this respect, just easy blocks!

You know, i think the ONLY gripe i have with this game is the speed limit. Maybe its just me, but i just never feel like im going quite fast enough. I dont expect Sonic 3/S&K speed, but it even feels slower than Sonic 1 at times.

btw, cooking up mah time attack. Im pretty sure ive found the route that DW used to get frigging 59 seconds. If only there was some way to restart the act you're on specifically for time attack...

Edit:

By the way, in finding the route in act 1 required to get such fast times, i must say whoever designed this act is fucking genius. Im enjoying finding ways to skip over shit, and the obstacles put there that seem to be put there just to protect those passages are a great touch.

Either that, or its just bad level design with an adequately put sparklepower box just where i need it...

- The intro video seemed a little cheesy. The presentation for this game is very professional, but I thought that the intro video took away from that.

I completely agree. I saw this video when it was still in production, and I'm dissappointed to see that it's not even different now. It's still pretty mediocre Flash.

oh screw you paradoxX.

Btw, im guessing you had to have done an absolute perfect run of the stage to lose those milliseconds there. At least, the run i did to get the time above i most likely would have gotten that time there if it wasnt for one or two VERY tiny screwups.

im too tired to try and beat ParadoxX now. The time attack is so annoying since you have to keep going past the title and shit, it feels like im playing IWBTG or something...

This is slightly off topic but I got to say that the Retro Sonic engine is amazing and I am totally envious of you guys getting to use it. Is there ever going to be a public engine release? I would kill to take Time Twisted and port it to Retro Sonic. Also what language does Retro Sonic use for scripting?

Just played through the demo. Managed to get through both levels without too much trouble. Music's rather nice, reminiscent of Sonic CD. Level design, I think, is vastly improved over SCD, and much more 'professional' than most fangames. Credit to the engine developers, the game is surprisingly solid - apart from that spindash-slope error, I didn't find any other bugs.

Only real problem I had was with the first handglider - seems like you run, jump onto the spring, and then somehow should catch the handglider. Doesn't work for me - usually end up crapshooting it. Also, the opening movie is a bag of balls. Either get a new intro or leave it out, please.

Other than that, this is easily the best (and most professional) fangame I've played in years.

I completely agree. I saw this video when it was still in production, and I'm dissappointed to see that it's not even different now. It's still pretty mediocre Flash.

Hey, but guess what...it was free and I have it. Plus, I'd rather have somebody working for me that is not up to your standards who is the most dedicated flash artist that I talked to during the interview process than somebody who is absolutely amazing that never is around or does his work on time.

Rgx is probably the best worker ever. Give him props for that. It's not like you're playing the game for the cutscene anyway.

I know I can't please everyone, but I wanted to throw that out there. He has truly been a joy to work with.

I think the I'm one of the ones who doesn't really like the music. Hrook (aka Sage), is a great musician. I just think the level need a more upbeat tune like Palmtree Panic (US version). I did like the music.

Azu, are you trying to start more shit? DW, you live closer to Azu than I do. Please smack him.

Overbound, the Retro engine is coded entirely in C++. Doubt they'd ever release it.

Hey, but guess what...it was free and I have it. Plus, I'd rather have somebody working for me that is not up to your standards who is the most dedicated flash artist that I talked to during the interview process than somebody who is absolutely amazing that never is around or does his work on time.

ICE BURN

...wait a minute

Rgx is probably the best worker ever. Give him props for that. It's not like you're playing the game for the cutscene anyway.

I know I can't please everyone, but I wanted to throw that out there. He has truly been a joy to work with.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to be an ass or start a fight. It's just my comment that it takes the presentation down quite a bit.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to be an ass or start a fight. It's just my comment that it takes the presentation down quite a bit.

Hey, If you have any suggestions on what I should change/add feel free to tell me cause I don't like to disappoint people.

The main problem I have is the generic flash animation--you're drawing frames and manipulating them on whatever axis for movement. The animation would look much more natural if every frame was hand-drawn and reused as needed. Still it's pretty blatant and easy to point out the "flash" feel because of how people manipulate sections of a graphic on an axis. I don't know why so many people do it--it doesn't even look good--but I'm confident that something much better could be done with Flash, especially in this case.

Not to say you can't animate or anything--you obviously can--but it might be worth re-evaluating some of your techniques so the overall result looks better.

The animation could definitely use some brushing up. The movements could look more natural... that annoying thing where Sonic is running and the ground looks like its kind of just shifting back and forth... I could go on. However, I don't really think we can get every frame hand drawn unless we suddenly get some kind of professional animation team to work on this, and that seems pretty much out of the question. More than anything else, stuff like that costs money.

Way I justify it is that the animation is just a neat side bonus that we can keep working on and trying to hammer out the really obvious spots.