A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus 2008 Demo is Out

The Taxman

Thanks, Tweaker. I appreciate that.

However, Euan, don't go on about me looking like a jerk when you won't even bother to spell my 5-letters-long alias properly. Let's not get in a maturity fight either, because honestly, you were just trying to be a nitpicky choch with your original post anyway. If you want to take it up with me, take it up with me.

If you don't like what I'm doing, just deal with it or make something with that jumpy hook you're looking for. The work I've for Nexus isn't going to change.

Dude what's the deal? He just gave an opinion and that's it. No one told you that you had to change shit. If you have something against honest opinions then just ignore them and don't bother saying anything.

Seriously, it's like hearing a response from someone who thinks everything they do is 'right' and what everyone else says against it is 'wrong'.

I always thought it was the opening cutscene that was supposed to get people into it. That's what does it for me. For Sonic CD, S3&K, Sonic Heroes. That said, I did notice the the mellow feel to the music which might not be some people's idea of a first, grassland level, but (a) listening to the other songs on the website, it really fits the feel, (B) the music's already made and that ain't something that's gonna change, and © it's god damn good music nonetheless.

The amount of time Hunter puts into his music and the special arrangements Brad has involved in that make it a guaranteed point of frustration for someone to make a call that it needs to be changed. All I'm doing is weighing out costs and benefits, and frankly the costs associated with changing the music outweigh any perceivable benefits. And to put it as bluntly as possible, I don't agree with SEGA's commonly recurring theme of trying to make the first act somehow more important than the rest of the game. Dwelling on the first level is a bad mentality to take when trying to finish a game. Especially with really minor issues like this.

I don't agree with Euan either, but getting so worked up over it is not the way to handle things. Just disregard it and move on. I love both you guys to pieces, but any more fighting gets deleted. This goes for everyone. It's obvious now that the music isn't changing.

I still haven't had a chance to play Nexus. I have a whole lot of IRL crap to sort out first. Looking forward to it though!

Man Brad, this was amazing. It turned out even better than I thought it would (big step up from that broken old test, you guys worked your asses off). Great music, stunning graphics, I love the level design and gimmicks. And the Retro engine is about as close as it gets to the classics. Amazing job, this was well worth the wait.

But uh... I thought act 2 was supposed to have a sunset background? ;)

My time trial video is up:

There's a number of parts where it seems I get hit and it was not my fault. At one point I get sprung straight in to a frog enemy, and barely even seconds later, I run in to a fish enemy. I suck pretty hardcore in Act 2, though, as I miss a few jumps and hit an Eggman monitor like a moron.

Despite this, these two classify as my two fastest times so far. No way they're going to be the fastest in contest, but at least I entered, one way or the other. ;P

The hang glider bit takes so much practice to "hit" right. On a lot of hang glider sections I'd often miss grabbing on to the glider at first, then when I'd go back to get it, I'd end up floating to the left, which would make me land and I'd have to get the hang glider off screen so it would respawn.

I'm not entirely sure if that's a bad thing or not, though, as there are certainly many cases in official Sonic games where they set up a gimmick like that and similar things happen.