A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus 2008 Demo is Out

The Taxman

@Dami: I forgot to mention that. I've been using 16bit coloring; I'll test out the other depths.

Edit: It refuses to let me change the color depth even when I change the color mode of my PC. Also, when I choose a fullscreen resolution it seems to automatically change it down one ( i.e. choosing 800x600 switches down to 640x480 ), but even so, if I were to choose 640x480 it still causes the same glitch even though it switches down the display to 320x240.

Edit2: Safe to mention that it only switches down the resolution when I enter fullscreen, not as soon as I select it.

Edit3 at slinger: Lol at video vigilante reference.

Thanks for the C&C everybody. Whenever we have these threads, it makes the project better every time. I'm truly appreciative of the help we are receiving and have received over the past two years.

I could be sappy and say I'm helping out because the game is so awesome, but honestly it's mostly because it's giving me a nice excuse to procrastinate my homework at the moment.

Dr. Robotnick, the only thing it's missing is cute little animals jumping out of the badnicks after they are destroyed.

Damn, and here Tax and I thought we could get away with that one. We've been caught, buddy! XD

Thanks for the C&C everybody. Whenever we have these threads, it makes the project better every time. I'm truly appreciative of the help we are receiving and have received over the past two years.

Damn, and here Tax and I thought we could get away with that one. We've been caught, buddy! XD

Actually, I didn't even notice at first, but nostalgia blinded me to the extend that I started saying: 'OMG! This is like Sonic 1! The enemies, the TVs, the level design, the fluffy animals... Wait... did it have fluffy animals? *plays again to check*'

Let me say this demo was amazingly smooth. All the gimmicks were well thought out and the game played smoothly on my PC. I do want to touch on a few small things that I saw could be improved, keep in mind that this is totally my opinion and its up to you guys whether I'm right or wrong.

First, The level design while great did not seem as varied as Palm tree Panic or any of the CD levels for that case. Maybe that's on purpose however, CD's levels could get a little confusing at times. On that same note the level also felt a bit empty in spots I think maybe a few more graphical touches could fix that as well my earlier statement about varying the level design a bit more.

This was a great, great demo, and my favorite part was probably the para shoot, it felt so nature so Sonic in my opinion. Keep it up guys.

That would be a hang glider.

The "parachute" would be akin to the falling mushrooms you grab onto in Mushroom Hill.

EDIT: If you guys want a benchmark for your time attacks, I can do Act 1 in 1'08". (My times don't count, of course.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=898&stc=1&d=1220398264

People have been asking me for the last hour if "so and so number" was a good time for the act. So, there...the designer's time.

post-26-13863976255_thumb.png

Hmm... The second act is really fun and cool, while the first act seems kinda bland and boring. There needs to be more above-ground detail (It seems to be mostly all grass and ground) and enemies. There was a lot of hold right and push jump once in a while action in that one. Other than that, I'm very impressed.

Hey uh, I know I already posted a sheep-load in this thread as is, but I got a question that's been on my mind.

What's with the speed reduction when you jump? ( more noticably when you were spinning as you jumped ) I usually just traverse downhills with rolls and jump on them for extra speed, but whenever I do that I lose a bit of speed and tend to find that just rolling moves me along at a much faster pace. Was this done on purpose, and if so, what were the reasons? It would ease my troubled mind anyhow.

I usually just traverse downhills with rolls and jump on them for extra speed, but whenever I do that I lose a bit of speed and tend to find that just rolling moves me along at a much faster pace. Was this done on purpose, and if so, what were the reasons? It would ease my troubled mind anyhow.

Taxman knows the answer. IIRC, it was about "wind resistance" or something. When he returns, he'll probably enlighten you.

YAY demo at last! NAY no mac version (yet) =(

I did manage to get it running under emulation though so yay in the end =P

Anyways, top demo! Was great fun to play and had a very very sonic cd'ey vibe to it, but with more open level design, cool.

I do have some nit picks though, I hope I don't seem like I'm whinging! The title screen art is cool but if sonic is gonna waggle his finger to it properly, it looks really heard to have his hand rotating like that with his arm being still, not that big a problem sorry if I seem pushy for mentioning it.

The only thing I was dissapointed with is it didn't feel like the first zone. I didn't get that buzz of wow, first zone excitement. I think it's because the first act is more basic than the 2nd, If the 1st act was more like the 2nd then it would be better, it just starts off at a plod and doesn't pick up really until act 2.

Another reason it didn't have that first zone/act excitement I think is the music. Don't get me wrong it's great! But the bgm for sunset shore was too mellow, it wasn't as upbeat as the tunes for say palmtree panic, ehz, ghz, aiz etc. It felt like something I would hear about 3 levels in once I'd settled into the game.

Another thing I did like though was the hang glidery gimmick, I know it's basically like the mushroom hill but adding the fans to work like the gust of wind in mushroom hill was a cool way of giving it some more control!

Cool demo, just maybe not as exciting as I'd hoped =)

I don't find that particularly concerning. Sonic 3 was similar with the music... and depending on the version of SonicCD you play, the music can be downright bland. Besides, first levels are kind of meant to be a little lacking. They usually don't have complex level design, very little in the way of gimmicks compared to other stages, weak enemies, an easy boss, I could go on.

Suffice to say, I'm much more interested in getting to work on later levels. You wouldn't believe some of the boss ideas I've been kicking around lately.

DW, Sonic 3 had quite upbeat music though, even when angel island got torched, that was exciting. And SCD does have few mellow tunes, but not in palmtree panic (present), not in either version.

I find it hilarious how all three of you quickly reply and dismiss the comment and ignore someone else agreeing with me. I didn't say the music was bad (cos it's bloody excellent) I just said it's not the best tune in the world to get someone excited about playing.

I find it hilarious how all three of you quickly reply and dismiss the comment and ignore someone else agreeing with me.
I find it hilarious how you criticized my music.

Oooookay, we stop now, Hunter. Look, Euan, I wasn't a dick earlier and "dismissing" a comment. I read the posts and it's just something that I, personally, don't want to change. When it comes to the full soundtrack, the tune lends itself to variety amongst the others and that's my main goal.

Moving on...

I'm not gonna get into a smart arse remark war with you so count me out just now, you can either take my comment on board, heck atleast acknowledge my opinion, or be a jerk.

Slinger was much more mature, he recognised that it's not the norm for a 1st zone tune, but he says he likes it that way. That's fair cos it's his game, I remember people used to moan at me because of Knuckles's palette in SXG, I kept it the same because it's the way I wanted it but I didn't say to people "you are wrong" and just toss their comments off to the side.

Let's end it hear ok? Before you make yourself look more of a jerk.

edit: sorry brad! You replied while I typed this. This wasn't directed at you, but hRook (pardon my type before! I am a doofus).

I think I know why Hunter is laughing about Euan criticizing his music, and honestly, that's fair enough--I'm aware he's not a fan of my practices, but by no means do I claim to be a better composer (or musician) than Hunter. In fact, I absolutely adore his music, contrary to popular(?) belief.

I think the music doesn't fit a traditional Sonic motif, but it has all the qualities of what makes one--fitting instruments, a catchy melody, and great production quality. Plus, I think it fits the zone perfectly; and after all, that's the point, isn't it? ;)

Anyway, like I said on Retro, this is brilliance all around. Excellent job to all involved! :)