A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus 2008 Demo is Out

The Taxman

What the hell? Why is everyone complaining about water zones? If Sega keeps on believing the only way to make 2D sonic games fun is by eliminating the need for pressing any button except maybe the ON button to play, you guys are the reason. Water levels have always been fun. True, if they're completely underwater, it's fuggin' annoying. But if there are both underwater and above ground parts, what's wrong with it?

Sega apologises for making old games fun and hard. They expect to release Sonic Advance 4 soon for your troubles.

Maybe some kind of level design like this would solve the problem:

waterleveldesign.png

Upper Path: Completely far from water, but it's hard to keep up there...

Middle Path: It's the general path that most people will take. Partially out of water, partially underwater. Sometimes you can find springs or plataforms that leads you to the upper path, but sometimes you can fall to the...

Lower Path: Completely underwater for those unskilled players that can't keep theirselves up in a plataform (they must pay for it!). Or for the water lovers. This way is full of secrets like life boxes, wide segments of rings, shields etc. But eventually you can find springs or plataforms to get out of the water.

Guys, you're just stating Hydrocity. Leave the designs to the Nexus team. They have DW, he over analizes every aspect of level design.

Or they have me...the level designer. I don't need a lesson here, people. I designed PPZ an entire year ago.

They do follow Paradox's example of half underwater, half above water. However, that only applies to the ruins part of the zone, as the golden area is entirely submerged. There's one path in each act that allows you to stay above water in the ruins area before hitting the last available teleporter. By doing this, you spend the least amount of time in the "Atlantis area."

PPZ1Map.gif

PPZ2Map.gif

Fawk.

What the hell? Why is everyone complaining about water zones? If Sega keeps on believing the only way to make 2D sonic games fun is by eliminating the need for pressing any button except maybe the ON button to play, you guys are the reason. Water levels have always been fun. True, if they're completely underwater, it's fuggin' annoying. But if there are both underwater and above ground parts, what's wrong with it?

Sega apologises for making old games fun and hard. They expect to release Sonic Advance 4 soon for your troubles.

Hydrocity and Aquatic Ruin. Oh, and Chemical Plant, if that counts. Thats about it. Pressing the jump button a few more times than usual isnt "hard", its just annoying.

Sorry, i play sonic games to go fast. *MOST* of the water stages usually contradict that for me.

That said, the water stage in Nexus was pretty fun. Mainly the part where you're on TOP of the water, just because of how sexy it was. But the little door gimmicks kind of immersed me better than the gay air bubbles.

Edit: (the ones you need to breathe.)

I guess, I could argue the whole fast 24/7 thing, but the topic would die. And, admittedly, Sonic 2 and 3 get the fondest memories of the bunch.

In other news: when's the Zune version gonna be playable? :P

Arguments over opinions area always bad. Just look at conversation in this thread.

Tiger Electronics version plz.

In all fairness Brad, we were being relavent. Our opinions did slide a little, but it all still equates back to Nexus. It's better we talk about Sonic games rather than leave this thread empty, anyway.

However, to get back on such a topic, will there be only one boss per zone or one boss per act? Dunno if this has been said or not.

Oh, I thought you mean multi-part bosses in Sonic CD, not a seperate zone for them. I understand you now.

However Sonic 3 has multi-part bosses, perhaps you thought of that. Just played Launch Base which is a good example (the slopes with the canon-ball launcher and on the ship with his vertical contraption).