A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus 2008 Demo is Out

The Taxman

I don't know... having never played Sonic 3 by itself myself (I got Sonic and Knuckles first), I always liked that boss. Sure, it's hardly final boss material, but it's still a neat one.

Speaking of, I've got a pretty neat boss concept (well, sort of a boss concept) lined up which incorporates... let's call them ideas... from that, the first ball and chain boss, the car boss at the beginning of Sonic 2, and a couple bosses from Sonic and Knuckles...

So, will Nexus' bosses be inventive? As in, will they be interesting like the first boss in Sonic Retro.

Define interesting.

If they are "isolated" bosses, i prefer hard challenges. Instead, if they are not, i'd reccomend easy ones. Although i am not the reccomended to talk about this ._.

What I mean is will the be challenging, difficult, enjoyable. Something along those lines. Also, will their design be interesting. Are they just shody thrown together boss fusions? Are they well-made boss fusions? Or, are they made entirely from scratch? That sort of "interesting".

So, will Nexus' bosses be inventive? As in, will they be interesting like the first boss in Sonic Retro.

I'd like to think so. They say nothing is ever quite as cool in practice as it is in theory, but I do want to try and close the gaps.

As for difficulty, I don't want any of the bosses to be something you can just tear up with ease on your first attempt.

What I mean is will the be challenging, difficult, enjoyable. Something along those lines. Also, will their design be interesting. Are they just shody thrown together boss fusions? Are they well-made boss fusions? Or, are they made entirely from scratch? That sort of "interesting".

Our bosses are custom made, brosky. We don't cut corners at this point.

What I mean is will the be challenging, difficult, enjoyable. Something along those lines.

In all truth, unless its a mid-story or endgame boss, Sonic Bosses are never, EVER difficult. The bosses in Sonic the Hedgehog may be neat and cleaver, but they rarely ever take more than 60 seconds to figure out and defeat.

On top of that, unless the pattern for the boss changes everytime you wack him, its not very fun to have a "LONG CHALLENGING SUPER DIFFICULT EPIC" boss at the end of an act. I think you can have the "superawesomeepic ect" LOOK for the boss, but you should still be able to fry his ass in about 2 minutes, if even that. Just look at the final boss of S3&K on the Death Egg. That was one of the most epic bosses in 2D gaming history, and most of us can defeat his ass in about 2 minutes.

The first boss shown in Nexus was really awesome, but took way too long to defeat. Even the epic second part in the clouds got annoying after i hit him a few times and just felt like it should have ended already.

Just my two cents.

Its a matter of experience really. The first part could be taken down in less than 30 seconds if you realized the trigger for it's attacks and could get it to exhaust its supply quickly, and the second part was all a matter of timing. That said, the second phase of that fight is definitely the one thats going to change the most. I threw that thing together with like 5 seconds remaining on the clock.

Oh, but it's going to be a good bit harder too. Thats more the level of difficulty I want for zone 3 bosses rather than zone 6.

I'm sure you remember that that was one of my big complaints about the Pristine Palasade demo.

Yeah, a huge, unnecessarily ridiculous complaint that sparked so much drama that we almost all left this forum. No shit I remember it. :E

Also, dudes, comments are now enabled on the main site. Get to discussing over there and stuff.

What I mean is will the be challenging, difficult, enjoyable. Something along those lines.

Dunno this is a bit of an assumption but you'd think they'd aim for that. If someone wasn't, would they tell you?

Yes my game's all about holding one key to complete it. Some sort of massive slide where you never really do much, and as for enjoyment WELL, there is none.

Any questions?

Apart from that, I'm hoping the first boss will be a good challenge and not a push-over like most first bosses. CD's first boss was abysmal for me. Especially when there's an invincibility box right near the boss area.

Also, I thought the old Pristine Palisade's boss was fine. Nothing wrong there.

Apart from that, I'm hoping the first boss will be a good challenge and not a push-over like most first bosses. CD's first boss was abysmal for me. Especially when there's an invincibility box right near the boss area.

Well, like I said, I don't like to do easy. It won't be mind-numbingly hard, but I assure you it won't be a pushover like early Sonic 2 bosses and that piece of shit Sonic CD first boss.

Well, like I said, I don't like to do easy. It won't be mind-numbingly hard, but I assure you it won't be a pushover like early Sonic 2 bosses and that piece of shit Sonic CD first boss.

But it's the first stage, it's supppppposed to be a pushover! *shot*

Don't turn in to Mystic, DW.

Mystic, for those who are unaware, is a level designer for SRB2. He likes his games hard. Do you know how many times he's had to remake the SRB2 special stages because people kept saying they were too hard? Like, four times.

Do easy. Do easy as you can possibly stand. Easy and simple to understand.

Trust me on this one.

Don't turn in to Mystic, DW.

Mystic, for those who are unaware, is a level designer for SRB2. He likes his games hard. Do you know how many times he's had to remake the SRB2 special stages because people kept saying they were too hard? Like, four times.

Do easy. Do easy as you can possibly stand. Easy and simple to understand.

Trust me on this one.

Easy is overrated! Have you learned nothing from my notoriously broken boss battles?

Raises a good point though. While I'd argue to not make things too hard at the start, nor make them too easy, a natural progression of the difficulty curve is expected (I do like my epic boss battles, 'tis true, but if they're "Kinda hard" at the start and "Jesus Chris!" at the end, there's a greater feeling of threat to be had from the boss)

The worse thing to do is to make them inconsistantly hard. Who here hasn't played a game where boss difficulty can alter between Unbelievably painful to Easy biscuits and back again?

I'm looking at you, De Rol Le.

Hey, dudes, I look like I'm begging here, because I am, but hear me out...

If you like the demo, please head on over to the official site. I'd really appreciate it if people commented on the articles. ;)

I really want to keep discussion about the game over there, because I don't like perpetually bumping my thread with daily updates.