A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

From the recent gameplay videos, it looks like all SEGA is trying to do is be more true to who Sonic really is. Not in the sense that he's a werewolf, but that he's fucking fast. Problems occuring would be the fact that this makes all gameplay like... one dimensional.

It looks flashy and probably fun the first time you run through it, but Christ just give me a Sonic Adventure 3 and we'll call it even.

SA1 = best 3D sonic game, ever.

Sonic Next says hi. (It even had the traditional Chao in Space billboard from the Sonic Adventure series.)

Yep, but that's not saying too much considering that everything got worse from there.

Okay then, give me a good Sonic Adventure 3. That also fixes the problem of games getting worse since then. There's nothing stopping SEGA Sonic Team from actually making another decent good game. Really, there isn't. It's just all about being appealing to a generation that the believe exists, which doesn't.

Just because every game has been shit since then, doesn't say they wont hire some badass awesome developers who know what Sonic's about and bringing out a game which doesn't suck. Sonic isn't dead. He's just got cancer right now.

Thats just gold plating something. It isn't transformation of any sort. Also, I think you mean liquid gold, not boiling gold.

But a pot of boiling gold just sounds... awesome!

"Bring your gold to a boil and then add onions. Once the onions begin to char, add parsley, sage, scallions, and butter (please, no margarine) and let simmer for 5 minutes..."

something i miss in 2d sonic games is a Donkey-Kong-Country-style character switch between Sonic and Tails, sometimes the little fox is really useful. and sometimes is too slow. like DK was too heavy and slow in some parts or diddy too small and weak in others. (no, i have never played Sonic heroes)

Actually, that was one of the concepts used in Sonic's Vacation... You could switch between the leader and the follower at any time. Though my concept was that Tails couldn't die, but he will make you lose rings if he gets hurt under your control. When he's under AI control, that's his problem, not yours (though I had to dumb it down so he doesn't kill the entire world before you blink...) But there is a timer so you can only use him for a certain amount of time...

The only tricky part is making that feel like a useful feature and not just a gimmick... While there will be cases of that, it doesn't matter too much since the game is a parody game anyway...

But I would like to make a more serious game that takes advantage of that. But it would require careful engine creation this time as copy pasting the entire movement engine twice for two characters was a stupid design mistake on my part...

Not that MMF is the nicest object oriented tool out there... Construct does seem to handle that much better, but i'm not sure how far that can go regarding this either...

Well, guess I have a new XNA project...

You can too go wrong with side scrolling. I've played plenty of side scrolling platformers that were boring or worse on every console from the Master System to the Neogeo.

Oh yeah. Renting Genesis games I had never heard of was always a mistake.