A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SSBB Blog: Update Discussion

@DW

Is the Xenosaga series good? I was going to buy the first episode on impluse but decided not to.

Im really praying that Suitless samus isnt a Final Smash. It seems like a waste of a character to me.

BTW, does anyone else think it would be kickawesome if Gannondorf's Final Smash is a transformation into Gannon? (The OoT one with the double swords)

Then we could have kind of "Clash of the Titians" melee going on, if theres an option to allow unlimited Final Smashes.

Is the Xenosaga series good... thats kind of a difficult question to answer simply.

I loved Xenosaga Episode I to death. It was an awesome game that showed a metric ton of promise and I loved the story and the way I built up my characters. The science fiction is way beyond over the top and its just completely immersive.

It got rather mediocre reviews though because people who review for magazines tend to have a problem with cutscenes that can last up to an hour... who'd have thought.

Xenosaga II took that to heart and had significantly less emphasis on the story as a result. Xenosaga/gears without enormous cutscenes really just doesn't deliver enough content for a complete game. As a result, they made an excessively complicated battle engine mechanic that really wasn't much fun and led most battles (not even boss battles) to take several minutes to complete and the overall result was much more frustrating than enjoyable. Mech Combat became more important than in the first one, but to me the lack of emphasis on mech fighting was one of the series' better points.

More importantly, during the development of XS2, the staff was changed considerably. The primary party responsible for the story was eliminated from the staff and the series was scaled back considerably due to the first game being less than financially successful. The series was originally intended to span over 6 episodes and instead was scaled back to three. This shows. A lot. A hell of a lot. The plot between games can jump around madly as a result.

As a result, much of the intended character development was removed and the initial story was hacked apart. The result is still amusing, but it has a feeling of incompleteness throughout.

XS III brought a new battle system that was more enjoyable than XS2, but overall not particularly interesting. It basically just took what XS2 had, removed the more complex elements, and regurgitated it. I'd say the third one has slightly better combat overall than XS 2, but mostly because it isn't hinged around the same ridiculous ass breaking concept for every fight.

Overall the story of the third one has been completely worthwhile and, while not the resolution it should have been... or even close to it really, its still a good story.

I'll say this... definitely play XS1. Its awesome and it will leave you wanting more. From there, think about how you would have wanted the series to progress before playing II. Then play through II and III while trying to think about the complexities of the story as little as possible instead just going for the resolution of it all.

If you like cutscenes that is. If you don't, stay the hell away from the series all together.

If you like cutscenes that is. If you don't, stay the hell away from the series all together.

I played, beat, and loved to death MGS3.

Pretty sure this wont hurt too bad.

Unless their boring.

EDIT"

And i just LOVE the attention to Detail they put into the Smash Brothers series. This is the best looking game on Wii (Galaxy looks beautiful, but the overall textures and models on Brawl look alot better. May be because its a fighting game, but meh. Xbox could play galaxy if minus the textures, a few lighting/bumppapping effects and insane draw distance).

And its nice to see they arnt recycling the old smash attacks, as that looks alot different than mario's Melee smash attack (which looked cooler.)

AND WHEN DO WE SEE SAMUS's BEAMWHIPSWORD.

I don't think there exist games that have higher cutscene/story to gameplay ratios than Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode 1. If so, I haven't played them. Anyway, if I remember, it might have started a tiny bit slow (since I never was interested in Shion and hated everyone else in her dev group), but it get's quite interesting.

I still haven't touched Episode 2 (and therefore episode 3) again.

MGS3 has the longest cutscenes in history.

Or at least the Best. MGS3 was like playing a flippin movie. I love Kojima with a passion.

Okay no more xenosaga. (One more question, doesnt Nintendo own the team who did Xenosaga/gears?