A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SSBB Blog: Update Discussion

Disappointed that Goroh is an Assist Trophy. I was hoping for another F-Zero playable character.

The last thing we need is another sword user. This leaves it open for another F-Zero character, though to be quite honest, if Starfox only got two in SSBM, I wouldn't count on F-Zero getting a whole lot.

DW, stop it with your sword hate please. Without the clones from previous games we have Link, Metaknight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus(although thats supposedly like a whip), and maybe a Fire Emblem fighter. OMG, 5 peoples wit swords! Whatever shall we do? Far too many amirite?

EDIT: Come to think of it, didn't you want Zelda to use a sword? Rapiers are different enough for you, but Katanas aren't?

DW, stop it with your sword hate please. Without the clones from previous games we have Link, Metaknight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus(although thats supposedly like a whip), and maybe a Fire Emblem fighter. OMG, 5 peoples wit swords! Whatever shall we do? Far too many amirite?

This isn't fucking Soul Calibur. 5 people with swords is already far, far more than enough and you are failing to factor in the liklihood of both Zelda and Ganondorf having a sword... Also, ZSS's energy weapon is not like a whip. It bends. It doesn't crack. The fundamental difference between whips and bladed weapons is that they use extremely high velocity and pulling in order to tear or rip flesh rather than cutting it.

There are countless weapons out there. Try an axe or a mace for a change. Swords are cliche and boring. Everyone and their grandmother has a sword.

There are only so many ways you can make the typical slash and thrust moves, and that amount was already exhausted the minute they added finesse based sword users like Metaknight and Marth.

What the hell? We're complaining about characters that have SWORDS now?

I mean god, I know some people can ruin the fun of playing the game, but they've evolved into ruining the fun waiting for it too?

No one gives a FUCK how a whip differs from a sword in Smash Brothers.

I'm don't entirely agree with "SSBB already has all the general ways you can swing a sword," (as I have stated before) but do agree that it's ridiculous Pit has a sword-type weapon and am very much wanting to see a polearm or maybe a chained weapon or even an Axe or Flail. But those don't tend to be the important characters in games, I guess.

What the hell? We're complaining about characters that have SWORDS now?

I mean god, I know some people can ruin the fun of playing the game, but they've evolved into ruining the fun waiting for it too?

No one gives a FUCK how a whip differs from a sword in Smash Brothers.

That wasn't the point. The point was that Samus's beam sword isn't a whip.

I hope he doesnt suck anymore. We need to have some retardedly powerful heavy characters. Bowser was NEVER a hard target for me.

Anyways, i love his new look, and im extremely shocked to see him by the way. I thought he would be one to get trashed.

Im expecting to see maybe 1 more person for the starting lineup. MAYBE 2. Im suprised they have so many. They havent made a page for Metaknight or Samus Zero Suit yet, but you can expect Metaknights soon. Im STILL not sure if their going to make Zero Suit a standalone, or if their trying to find some neat way to let Samus take the suit off mid-battle. Im hoping shes stand-alone.

Although, it would MUCH rather be awesome to have to unlock zero suit. If no one knew about it, it would be just as awesome as unlocking Young Link, Marth, or Mewtwo for the first time. They've already shown her, so im sure that wont work.

EDIT:

And bowsers running animation was funny. He like cheeply slid on his claws murderously towards his opponent.

I reallly hope they make him DANGEROUS this time around, and give me a good reason to spam that cool looking fire he has.

I'm quite cetain they've all but confirmed that Zero Suit Samus isn't stand-alone stating that "This isn't a pure character addition. Rather, under certain conditions, Samus will 'remove' her Power Suit. Whoa! That's a woman under there!" (quoting from IGN's quote of the now-nonexistant old SSBB dojo site). In any event, don't hold your breath for her being seperate in any way from Power Suit Samus.

But really that entire quote can be taken another way.

"This isn't a pure character addition.""

- Its not, because samus was in the First Smash Brothers. Its not another character technically.

"Rather, under certain conditions, Samus will 'remove' her Power Suit. Whoa! That's a woman under there!"

-I took this as a kind of telling as to why she has no suit on.

It could be taken as "This isnt a real character, shes only obtainable by "removing" Samus's powersuit during the game", or it could be taken as "This isnt a NEW character, shes been here all along, she just only been shown rarely in the past."

That's why I said "all but," because interpretation is always a key factor and they haven't chisseled out the details enough so that it wouldn't be. But you can't deny that that's fairly specific and unless it's deliberatly missleading (I wouldn't put it above/below them) it's seems very likely that they meant an in-battle form-change.

What Kain said.

"Im STILL not sure if their going to make Zero Suit a standalone, or if their trying to find some neat way to let Samus take the suit off mid-battle. Im hoping shes stand-alone."

Blah. I always hated that Dr. Mario, Young Link, etc were treated as seperate characters. They should be treated the same way as the costumes- in that after you pick Link you can choose between Young Link and normal Link. ::shrug::

That would be pretty sweet. In fact, this makes me wish for other transformations. Link into Fierce Deity Link from MM. That would suck if they made Zero Suit Samus this way, but thats doubtful. 3rd way to take the quote right here!

Also, I am very proud that I beat DW in posting about the update.