A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

you've inspired me to scrawl pointless concept art for bonus games; so thank you for that.

Not really sure what you mean. Is that good for you?

If its anything like vegas, it should be near impossible to get since those things are srsly rigged against you. After all, its gambling, not giving hand-outs.

If I made it just as difficult, then it would only decrease the value of playing the game, for this you're only winning virtual money and for a real slot machine you're winning real money. Which would you rather spend hours playing lol?

Pretty much if you saw one of my screenshots on DA, I mentioned I was going to change the HUD again.

Here's what I'm currently using

XqnFw.png

And here are some concepts of the new one.

P5vM8pg.png

Any suggestions on which is better and / or what to change?

@ Nefault1st: Perfect, It's Pokemon Slots all over again except this time, it'll be my Rings disappearing.

Seriously though, it looks a like a nice distraction from the main part of the game.

@Myriad

Oh I understand now, it's ok I'm glad I could inspire you!

@chaos fusion

It's kinda funny the pokemon slot machine games had the biggest influence on this style, though I can only find it as a big distraction if I made the chances of winning too high, which is why I am trying to balance it out as best as I can.

Also I'm liking your HUD I see great improvement! I find the second one to be the best, though it really depends on how you have the HUD set up for the rest are somewhat just as great. The only suggestions I have at the moment is to add some value to the bars like you did with your old one.

Pretty much if you saw one of my screenshots on DA, I mentioned I was going to change the HUD again.

Here's what I'm currently using

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/XqnFw.png[/qimg]

And here are some concepts of the new one.

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/P5vM8pg.png[/qimg]

Any suggestions on which is better and / or what to change?

@ Nefault1st: Perfect, It's Pokemon Slots all over again except this time, it'll be my Rings disappearing.

Seriously though, it looks a like a nice distraction from the main part of the game.

It looks too flat and square around the edges. I think it would look a bit better if you rounded a few corners, such as the character slots and the corners around the HUD, but that's just me. Other than that, I like the second one.

@ Nefault1st: Thanks. I may end up using the second one as not only is not as clustered but it doesn't look like a eye sore on the screen.

@Betaman: I'll try that out. Afterall, these are only the shape of the new hud so I'll see what I can do.

Also, I'm thinking of adding a feature where it will dim in transparency when nothing is happening. (Non combat Scenarios)

attachment.php?attachmentid=1633&stc=1&d=1371099088

Unfortunately I wanted to show everything I did these days to you guys, but I'm afraid most part of it is code. But turns out everything's going good, I ended up making some kind of framework I can re-use for any game I make D:

Currently I'm wandering around physics programming... and I decided to reach the toughest spot: vectorial collision, just like LIMBO and Braid did, so I can give the artists a better way to build levels and worry less about tiles and fitting them into mosaics like Sonic games do.

Here's a quick shot from the prototype interface of my level creator. It's meant to be simple; features will include importing graphical sections of the level, regardless of the tile size, and positioning them. Collision will be handled mathematically according to what the level designer does there. You can make a slope by simply making a line from one point to another, or put a solid rectangle somewhere, or using Bezier curves.

post-1782-138639765382_thumb.jpg

Something very trivial indeed; but I'm creating an alteration to the classic HUD - an extension of the original. I've got two different shadings for the numerics, and I'm not sure which I prefer. One has more detail, using two colours for shading (the top one), the other only uses one colour for shading (the bottom one), and I feel it separates it more from the "SCORE, TIME, RING" section than the top one does.

Which do you like more?

kdQ5nyO.png

Something very trivial indeed; but I'm creating an alteration to the classic HUD - an extension of the original. I've got two different shadings for the numerics, and I'm not sure which I prefer. One has more detail, using two colours for shading (the top one), the other only uses one colour for shading (the bottom one), and I feel it separates it more from the "SCORE, TIME, RING" section than the top one does.

Which do you like more?

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/kdQ5nyO.png[/qimg]

Bottom for sure.

Bottom for sure.
Definitely the bottom one, the value matches the left side much better.
The bottom one is the better choice.

Cheers!

-------

Here's something else I knocked together in a few minutes. Tried a few different palettes. Liked this one the most.

kMjDgpC.png

Now you mention it, yeah, the blue is a little too dark. It sears my eyes where it clashes with the red.

So…

+1 for updated version:

Hqjz26w.png

Not sure if it's any better. I usually don't have much problem with colours, but I've had a hard time trying to discern a less clashing colour, or at least a more suiting one.

As for the HUD, well, I've tried lightening the palette, but it doesn't quite give the effect I wanted:

9lucSo8.png

It looks like it's been compressed - and it's not, that's how it actually looks. Not too keen on it myself.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Now you mention it, yeah, the blue is a little too dark. It sears my eyes where it clashes with the red.

So, here's an updated one:

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/Hqjz26w.png[/qimg]

Not sure if it's any better. I usually don't have much problem with colours, but I've had a hard time trying to discern a less clashing colour, or at least a more suiting one.

I think the new one clashes more, but it's because of the red. The blue is fine, but I think if you make the red just a bit darker, then it will look good.

EDIT: Try these two colors:

LRcsC2f.png

That's much better, thanks! I think it hit me just before I saw you posted that that the red needed more blue in it.

As far as I'm concerned, that's sorted it.

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/5HGHzPd.png[/qimg]

Quite like the use of dial letters (that's how I call them, dial type? Digital watch type? Eh), but not sure if the pixellated number goes along with it, especially since the pixellation makes it look more distorted than anything.

I think it's the misaligned pixels in the two, there where the blue and red meet. Makes it look like it's a normal 2 you made, then resized on paint and filtered through rotsprite.

The apparent blue/red gradient is only there on the version I uploaded. It was an accident that occurred when taking it from the main document it was a part of. I just didn't notice it. So, cheers! I probably won't reupload it again, I think that would be excessive.

I spy an unmistakable yellow spring!

Pardon?

sonicsprite.png

This is what I meant. The 2 seems to be made out of random clusters of pixels, instead of looking like a resized 2, as I assume it was meant to resemble. To the right I did an edit, hope it isn't considered rude on this forum, adjusting the 2 to use only 3-per-3 pixels.