A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Rebirth @ New Version

leon

@Flash: If he changed some movement variables and just corrected the default Worlds camera ( you should NEVER be able to move ahead of the camera ), then there'd be nothing wrong with the engine he's using. HOWEVER, I have to say it feels like he's using an older 360 engine than Worlds though, which always sets a game up for bugs that weren't fixed during those earlier releases.

I got the feeling I was about to be lynched by actual programmers :P I figured it was Worlds because it was using the same title card style/animation as two other games i've played with that engine (Nexus and one of the Worlds betas).

I do agree with Lark there. A few sections feel clunky. For one, sonic needs to be a bit quicker when pushing a block. Plus a few sections, you try to jump, and you end up hitting the ceiling, missing your jump and plumting to your death. Mainly marble zone.

Plus when I paused the game it just froze. Dunno what happened there. And none of music files will work :?

Aside from that, it's good game. The art is beautifully done, sonic has some nice animations, music is very good, and the game has a great art style. Not to mention the bonus features, like extra levels, and being able to use the classic sprite are great additions. Iron out and the problems and this will be a great game.

Will E02 support all this fancy high color stuff? That might be a better outlet, and will have the added benefit of being playable on more than just Windows.

Because I love a lot of these graphics, but I'm not entirely sure about some of the new stuff. The worst is when it feels like they couldn't replicate a certain effect or game mechanics so they had to replace it with something else. Where are the lava falls in Marble Zone?

While I like the presentation thus far, the sound effects are a bit distracting and should be toned down. Besides that, the only real problem is the physics engine. I lost several lives in Green Hill Zone because of the same inertia/acceleration issues others have brought up. Marble also has an area where the block is right next the lava on the other side making it impossible to push it to the other side. I had to abuse temporary invincibility to make it past.

Guest Zeldarock

In MIDI mode the music seems to be fine, but in OGG mode, the music seems to not loop correctly. Also, the music refuses to play unless both the MIDI and OGG folders are present.

*hopes that I can get to Scrap Brain Zone: Act 3 this time*

Fiddlesticks. I cant get to Act 3. Why? After the Scrap Brain Act 2 cutscene, it leads me to the cutscene menu, and I cant get to Act 3.

:(

I have the same problem, but with "Star Light act 3 - Scrap Brain act 1".

This is sad for me because I really wanted to like this game.

First I gotta say I don't understand your logic you tried to make a superior remake with inferior tools mainly MMF. I mean original fan games are different when people understand the differences in their engine that they use compared to the Genesis games and take that into account during designing levels. This isn't the case here because you took your levels straight from Sonic 1.

Aside from that Sonic is too slippery the new sound effects seem out of place hitting badniks sometimes doesn't give you that bop up. The oggs don't loop at least in the old version though I don't really care too much as I really didn't care for the remixes themselves, the special stages kinda suck and there are a host of other bugs. I quit playing just now because I died but could still move left and right and the level never reset.

I think I'm a little heart broken to be honest if you had taken all the time and effort you put into this game gotten a little help from us here at SFGHQ and created original levels and other content you'd probably have one of the best games at Sage maybe in the whole SFG scene and it would be complete. :''(

Yes, it was rushed. I'm trying to solve every problem. But I hope you understand that there is more than 20 frames to update. It's completely diferent from a short game. But yes, the beta testing was poor, that's why I want to make everything right.

Going to put a Revised Version here with the right physich (probably) on Green Hill Act I. Please, I need a good report of bugs here before I start doing the major udpate on all frames.

Here - 2MB, no music for faster download.

@Leon: I'm gonna try to give it another run with the updated version as I set up my other computer and write down a list of things as I go.

*compressing my edits into spoiler tags to save forum space*

Edit: Physics in the revised version feel fine to me; tried platforming and had no problems.

There's still the issue of the camera though. I'll upload a pic with the part of the code you should revise so that the camera doesn't allow Sonic to approach the edge of the screen before he starts to run.

Edit2:

CameraFix.png

Just add the code in the red box to the same event you see there within the camera group and the camera will stay nice and steady against Sonic.

Edit3: Any musical comments are based on OGG.

1. After obtaining the emerald in the special stage, the special stage music restarted and played over on the "Sonic got an emerald" screen.

2. The score tally-up adds my points at different speeds, namely the time bonus adding up the fastest.

3. The act complete music seems to be fixed now, but the boss music still gets very messed up as it plays.

4. Music when bursting out the animals is messed up too.

5. During the falling block section of Marble Zone in the first act, one of the blocks doesn't fall right away and gives off the impression that you have to try to spindash and jump across the lava to reach the other side.

6. If you could update the spike chandeliers to have sound effects, that would be great. ;>

7. I finally made it past the second part of you drifting on the block against the lava by jumping at the right time. It seems the block moves upward with the lava using path movement. You really should either smoothen the downward path to not accelerate so fast, or redo the movement by hand so it looks and works much better.

8. Another unimportant fix, but when you break those blocks, the pieces should really fall faster and faster. =P

9. Act clear music for Marble Zone act 2 is actually messed up.

If Rebirth follows almost entirely the original Sonic 1 level design, then I hate the original Marble Zone and just cannot bother myself enough to get passed it. Someone else might as well take from where I left off.

About the revised edition, I'm still trying to figure out how I did this...

boing.png

And there are also a couple of collision problems as well like this:

boing2.png

Apart from that, the physics are an improvement.

The SAGE release is really good though. I like the clean interface (but the slow transitions I could do without), and the game does present a decent challenge. It is one of the very few games at SAGE that I keep playing over and over. Great job!

I like the clean interface (but the slow transitions I could do without)...

Ah yeah, I agree with that one too. The transitions are nice and all, but they should be much faster. You should probably tackle some of the things in my list before attending to visual issues though.

I found something in the game, I don't know if its a glitch or if you did that specially, but look at this:

When you finish Green Hill act 1 with 50 rings in story mode, you can go in the 1st special stage and have a Chaos Emerald.

Then, you reset the game, play Green Hill act 1 in level select, finish with 50 rings or more, and go in the 2nd special stage.

Do that 6 times and you will have all the Chaos Emeralds in story mode in Gren Hill act 2.

Leon, your situation strikes a chord with me, as I experienced the same thing. Let's go back to 2007...

I was the director of SAGE that year and I also had to follow-up the splash that I made at SAGE 2006 with another demo. While juggling both of these duties, I was swamped with work and ended up moving the demo release to the middle of the show, which is exactly what you did with Rebirth. DW and I rushed and released a demo that was littered with problems. Sound familiar?

Point being, if you're going to make a major release, like you wanted to during this show, you don't have to release it. Yes, you can skip SAGE, contrary to the belief of those with hoity-toity opinions. You don't owe us anything, so don't feel compelled to rush a problematic product out the door. Good things take time.

Good luck with the bug fixing. You're going to need it.

Okay. I fix almost everything in the list. I rewrite the music code, also put Invicible and Speed Sneakers Monitors. I think it's fine now, going to put these on all stages now.

Leon, please fix that cutscene bug...I wanna finish Sonic Rebirth.

Leon, please fix that cutscene bug...I wanna finish Sonic Rebirth.

I think the problem is because you enter in the Cutscene Viewer and play them, after this you Load Story mode. Anyway, I already fixed this in my version.

I think the problem is because you enter in the Cutscene Viewer and play them, after this you Load Story mode. Anyway, I already fixed this in my version.

Your right... darn it...

Edit: Well, I just beat Sonic Rebirth... and this is what I have to say:

It's a good remake of Sonic 1. Not the best, but good.