A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Rebirth @ New Version

leon

• 5 months later...

I'm up to Labyrinth Zone, and I've only found one actual bug so far. In some of the Green Hill Zone acts, the timer kept running for me even during the results screen.

I'm also kinda wondering how much of a game breaker Tails' flying is, since his vertical flight speed in this game is noticeably faster and he can fly longer than in other games. I managed to skip over half of Spring Yard Zone Act 2 just by flying over everything. xD Also, shouldn't his flying animation be faster?

Aside from that, this is my first time playing SR, and I gotta say, this is a really fantastic remake of the original Sonic the Hedgehog. ^_^ The graphics are lovely, especially with Sonic and Tails' sprites. It's like a hybrid between the Genesis and Advance styles.

I've played this new version and must admit that it's really impressive. I enjoyed it more than actual Sonic 1.

But there are two major and two small complains (aside from a pocketful of glitches).

First major complain is marble zone. It's fucking difficult due to glitches.

Second major complain is cutscenes. Why WHY did you replace those kick-ass cutscenes with new shittier ones?

Small complains are both about Tails. First of all he needs a win pose. Second one is his flight. He can fly like forever and that is wrong.

And of course there are still many glitches in your game.

Anyway keep it up. Rebirth is great.

I can't download it because of this "Error This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times. This limit is reached. To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information." Sorry to bother you, but do you think you could upload it to another file server or create a Collector's account and transfer it? Thanks

Actually, Tails does have a victory pose. The only place I didn't notice him using it is in Scrap Brain Zone. Odd...

Also, i'm not sure if this was intentional, but it's possible to play the unlockable zones as Tails if you've just left a game as him. When playing as Tails in the secret zones, his tails disappear while jumping, and instead of a flying animation, he just hovers in ball form. The sign at the end of the level also displays Sonic's portrait. Though again, i'm not sure if you wanted people to end up using Tails in those levels. xD;

Gotcha. ^^ I noticed a few more things this morning:

- After collecting a 1-up in the Extra Stages, the music reverts to Star Light Zone.

- After completing the game with Tails, I was surprised to find out that I had all of the emblems, even though I didn't complete any of the extra missions. Although i'm not sure if you intentionally left them all unlocked so we could bug-test the extra stages.

- Will there be special stages/chaos emeralds implemented in the final version? If so, that would explain the inclusion of Super Sonic. Also, if you clear the stage as Super Sonic, your ring count keeps draining while your score is being tallied.

- Completing a stage via Stage Select, then picking another stage right afterwards, results in the level being completed immediately after it's loaded. I know it happens with the Find the Lost Chao missions, but I'm not sure about the others.

- Though not necessarily a bug, Eggman's Engrish amuses me greatly. xD This land is my now!

Also, I'm curious - did you make the Sonic and Tails sprites, or did you have someone else draw them for you?

OKay. I'm going to release a beta of the 1.1 version.

So far we have:

- Less bugs

- New cutscene style

- Fade In/Out on Music

- No more OGG/MIDI, only .mp3

- New menu and new stage select screen.

- A decent ending

This is not the final version, so please be patient with the bugs.

http://rapidshare.com/files/377473420/Sonic_Rebirth_v1.1_beta.rar.html

You could really do with using a better file hosting service. It says the download limit has been reached.

3 notable complaints:

1. Forced fullscreen. This was so frustrating when I was typing to someone after clicking the app, got forced away from the window, and struggled for some time before finding that F4 toggles this after looking in the F8 menu (didn't realize until after that it is also an option in the game's Options menu). Default windowed please, and then have it remember whether you quit out in windowed or fullscreen for the next run.

2. I honestly do not like the new cutscenes. They sounded iffy when you told me you changed them, and I stood uncorrected. The major points are that you use a ridiculously bright overcast on top of everything, and the text sounds are obnoxiously annoying. The original cutscenes also had a nice sense of.....originality that I think would be in your best interest to fall back on.

3. This is probably a personal preference, but I miss the remixed tunes you were using before. The zones may be remakes of the old game that the songs came from, but they are also modified with a new style, and the music should reflect that. As it is now, the music doesn't match fully and for me makes the experience a bit empty.

Besides that, it has improved greatly. The engine feels much more solid, many of the bugs that existed before were squashed, and the menu looks rather nice (though I expected it to rotate when I changed selection ;>).

Good luck finally finishing this game!

Glad that the caterkiller ended up looking very nice in-game.

Edit:

So far we have:

- Less bugs

- New cutscene style

- Fade In/Out on Music

- No more OGG/MIDI, only .mp3

- New menu and new stage select screen.

- A decent ending

OGG is better than MP3 dude; it can compress further with similar to the same quality, and MMF2 can play it natively.

The fullscreen problem is because I included the complete save file within the game aplication. If you delete the save, the game will start on Window Mode.

I'm using .mp3 because of the issues in the past. And it's easy to change for whatever you want to listen. Also, the original tunes are just a placeholder.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The game is alive. Too bad we didn't make to Sage this year, anyway, it's better this way.

We're on the final route to the final version. I'm going to list a checklist of what already done and what's need to be done.

- New menu

- New music system with .mp3 (I'm going to upload the new soundtrack soon)

- Bridge Act 3, Jungle Zone Act 3 and Sky Base 2 done

- Extra zones are now part of the main story

- No more Extra menu, only Artwork available.

- Tons of bugs fixed

- Updated physics and camera

+ Tons of bugs to fix

+ Missing one cutscene and Good Ending

+ Creating the final boss of the game.

+ Update Classic sprite to Sonic 3 sprite (same with Tails)

Sorry for the double post.

You know, Sonic 1 is my least favorite Sonic game. Right below Sonic CD

That said, you've managed to make it enjoyable, bugs aside. Tighten up the physics and you'll have a real winner. You should have a look at the Sonic Physics Wiki to help you.

As for the bugs, they are purely cosmetic or camera related, and I'm sure you can find them with a casual play through. Keep in mind I only got to Spring Yard Zone before I stopped playing.

• 3 months later...

Sadly, I'm not working anymore in this game due the lack of time.

But since I care about this project, I'm going to release a new beta version.

This version has a lot of new things when comparing to the 2009's release. Only one little thing is missing: The final boss for Super Sonic...If you beat Sky Base Act 2 you will be redirect to the game's credit.

If you find a major bug, please report it.

Download Here

Beta 3.0 has:

Caterkillers (Thanks to LarkSS)

New cutscenes

No more extra stages.

Bridge,Jungle and Sky Base are part of the main story

Bridge Act 3, Jungle Act 3 and Sky Base Act 2 Added

You're only going to acess Sky Base if you finish the game with all emeralds as Sonic.

No stage select, because I removed in this version.

Some minor changes on menus and physics.

I'm planning a final release, but not sure about the release date.

Well, I hope you guys can enjoy this final effort. And sorry for my english once again.