A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Rebirth @ New Version

leon

Ah that's weird. The C key brings up a the password thingy. Seems I was pressing the wrong button.

Anyway. This may be one of the best fangames i've played. But I can see it's still unfinished. What I love the most are the special stages from sms version. Smart choice because I love them!!

It seems obvious that people are immediatly going to compare this to the original. Other than the special stages, I like the feel of sonic's acceleration. It's much faster. I like the music. It may not resemble the original "style" at all, but it's still great to listen to.

The physics need tweaking. Loops don't work the way they should. Sonic slows down when he rolls and the feel of gravity isn't there all the time.

Some obvious things like the animations needing more sprites, like wallpushing need to be added. I prefer the original sprite and it seemed that he was also missing the falling animation.

At some points I was feeling as if I liked it more than the original, just the few things I pointed out kind of got in the way.

It seems obvious that people are immediatly going to compare this to the original. Other than the special stages, I like the feel of sonic's acceleration. It's much faster. I like the music. It may not resemble the original "style" at all, but it's still great to listen to.

Yes, I don't think it's fair comparing to the original one. That one was made by professional guys that really understands things. I always say that I don't understand physics, but I do love Sonic. I will do my best to make the this game real. Of course, It's not going to be perfect, it will have flaws, but I it will be my best and I will be happy with it.

I get stuck right here.

It's hapenning with me too. It's a MF2 bug, because the event is there.

Great fangame. The visuals are beautiful, the music nice and relaxed, and I love both the inclusion of SMS stages (Bridge Zone especially) and the neat little between-act map screen intermission. A very charming remake of the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

This is the kind of thing I'd expect SEGA to do if they were smart and inventive, but oh well. My only criticism thus far is a matter of friction, namely in Spring Yard Zone. You know those down-slanting corridors with the floating spike balls? When I try to jump over them, I encounter too much friction with the cieling and fall right on or dangerously close to the spike balls. Also, if you find yourself with some free time in the future, I'd do some recoding of Jungle Zone Act 2 and the boss in Act 3. For Act 2, don't make the screen scroll up and kill you if you happen to fall back down to a platform you know is there. It is challenging, but I recommend implementing a scripted auto-scrolling event instead of scrolling up based on the player's ascent. Either that or just adjust the camera normally based on the player's movement. Also, Jungle Zone Act 3's Robotnik encounter is too easy to abuse. This may have been the same in the original game, but it's an opportunity to try and apply a solution that makes the boss less prone to abuse.

Also, there is that odd password bug I encounter when I complete Spring Yard Zone Act 2 and enter the Special Stage ring. It won't progress, and pressing C brings up a password prompt. Good work, man, and good luck. The music is a big improvement over your last version(s).