A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: The Fated Hour - July 2009 Update

Well, since Photobucket processes videos faster than Moddb, I will still be linking to my videos from here to Photobucket.

MISSION SYSTEM

From Moddb:

Demonstrating the mission system. One thing I'm eager to see is if this actually works out alright in levels itself. I'm a little on the fence about doing in-level missions, but I built the system to support them if need be. Once the mission is complete, it adds a number of your rings to your "ring bank", which your current rings are deposited in every time you finish a level. As you can see, I also got the shop displaying the number of rings not only in your bank, but also the rings you have on you right there, too. If you buy something from the shop, it draws from the bank first, and if your bank goes empty it takes the rings you currently have in the level itself.

Woo! Today was really productive.

26 things crossed off my "to do" list! I implemented all of Sonic's equipable skills. Roughly ten things on the "to do" list to go until I am done with coding the core stuff and can move on to building real levels.

Unfortunately, all that's left is menus, menus, menus. :ssleep:

Your artistic talent is amazing, Blaze. I'd love to have a menu screen that badass.

By the way, for changing shoe design, couldn't you just make a handful of Sonic mask objects and just shuffle them as different shoes are equipped? Or is that out of the question because it's so tedious? I probably wouldn't want to do it myself, this is purely speculation.

I don't think I'll be able to do the palette switching for shoes.

I mean, I can do it, sure. But once I get it to one color? It stays that color. Forever. Obviously I'd need to replace the color it became, but that's easier said than done - entering palette values as an equation can only be done at runtime ("Start of the Frame") which sort of kills doing it on the fly.

I am not sure how you are doing, I did make a palette changing tutorial on the site but never explained how to do different effects.

Maybe have a separate object and do the colour swap on that object, and just copy the same events of that to Sonic so they change in time. But with this palette object you could use an extension (I'm not sure if there is one for MMF2) where you locate and return the RGB values from the colour of the palette so that when you want to change a colour instead of enter values it locates the colour the palette is at the moment.

But then I'd have like, 15 different Sonic objects and that just seems kind of silly. Being able to actively change the palette would've given me a lot more flexibility with what colors I could have, etc.

If you do the overlays except erase everything in them except the shoes, it'll be just like you have an extra set of shoes that follow every animation.

On top of that, you could change the overall appearance of the shoes instead of just the colors. (that would take forever though, seeing as you would be editing the shoes of every single sprite.

Tad more problematic, but it has tons of applications. Although i can see not wanting to do that.

I remember a fangame a long time ago, i forgot what it was called, but in the demo, once you obtained the Fast shoes, there was an overlay on the sonic sprite that instead of changing the shoes actually made it appear like they were glowing.

I made a mini game several months ago called Sonic Blaze, I'll have to post that later.

what I did was make a pallet control (active) object, the pallet shades on the X axis witch used a loop of sorts to get the color data and apply it to the target sprite, the different pallet color schemes on the y axis so I could control what pallet was applied by setting a counter.

basically you just make an object to what ever number of colors you need in its width and the number to total pallet schemes in hight.

I can make an example if you like.