A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: The Fated Hour - July 2009 Update

Most DEFINITELY the best fangame progress ive seen in ages. Years even. Applications for your programming time is amazing to say the least.

And yeah, the new burst effect definitely looks tons better. (the rush one was fugly anyway. Looked like it was drawn in Paint.) This one actually resembles the newer one shown in Unleashed. (which means it looks amazing.)

I think the shoe color thing is amazing in technical terms, but i still think it would have been cooler to use overlays >>;

I like it. However, the music fading out to nothing on the menu kinda bothers me. Maybe fade it so that it plays very quietly, but in a way so that you can still just barely hear the music?

I agree. The fade to nothing just seems.. weird, especially for an in-game menu. Unless you're going to replace it with something else entirely.

So today's Sonic's 16th Birthday, so I updated TFH on Moddb.

http://www.moddb.com/games/sonic-the-fated-hour/news/sonic-tfh-june-media-recap-plus-new-demo-info

Unveiled something I'd been kinda-sorta been keeping a secret but decided it didn't really NEED to be a secret. If the link doesn't work (the news has to be approved, you see), try again in an hour. You could just watch the video in the videos section, but the news update also concerns the upcoming beta.

I'm getting super weary of writing all this menu code. Like I'm having doubts it might be worth it. Right now TFH has two layers in the frame editor. One layer is dedicated exclusively to HUD elements and one is dedicated to everything else (the level, etc.)

ayer.png

That's what the HUD layer looks like if I make it visible (I usually have it invisible and then move stuff to it as I need to).

Man, just looking at that gives me a headache!

Don't know if I've said it, but I really love the way you set up the menu. All the work you've done is totally worth it, but how much more could you have to do? I'd think it's just about done.

Dude, you really need to seperate the different elements into their own layers for organization purposes. I remember when I was making my game for SAGE, the different parts of the menu were all overlapping, so I put them in their own layers so I could make invisible the parts of the menu I didn't need to see. Helped me a lot and that screenshot shows you probably should do it too. =P

Man, Blaze, with all these features you're implementing, I'd go crazy over a SAGE demo that's just a test zone. Impressive work.

Layers = performance rape.

How did you determine this? Layering separates objects' collisions into different layers, thus performing less checks. I find that too much active shit in the same layer is a performance rape. Also, it can make the rendering in MMF2 less stressful.

(+1 Dami assist)

Man, Blaze, with all these features you're implementing, I'd go crazy over a SAGE demo that's just a test zone. Impressive work.

How did you determine this? Layering separates objects' collisions into different layers, thus performing less checks. I find that too much active shit in the same layer is a performance rape. Also, it can make the rendering in MMF2 less stressful.

(+1 Dami assist)

It is theorical or it is proved that splitting into different layers improves performance? I would like to see real data about this, could help a lot on big large levels.

Layers = performance rape.

That couldn't be further from the truth. My game features a complex precipitation system (courtesy of Lark) that can really rape performance, but when the different size raindrops/snowflakes were organized into individual layers by size, the frame rate was 10-20 higher on average. It seems that the more that goes on in a single layer, the lower the performance rate is.

I don't think that organizing the menu into different layers will affect performance though, it seems too little to have any significant effect.

Sorry for the offtopic, but i find this pretty intesesting. the worst and i mean worst thing ever on mmf is the low performance on levels over 500 objects, of course, if what you are saying is right, it is possible to move rings, boxes and enemies into different layers, or even split zone into different layers depending of x position, but i am not sure if the slowdown caused by multilayering the level worths it. I'd appreciate if someone can experiment with this.

I had a similar problem in TGF (I think). If I recall correctly, I made it so that everything is invisible, and when colliding with an invisible object which covered the whole gamescreen (and a little farther) it would turn visible; when leaving the gamescreen, it would turn invisible again.

This solved my problem in TGF, but I honestly can't say if it works in MMF, since I've never tried it.

Seriously? Making objects invisible don't stop the collision. Clickteam could have done if better by having a stupid list of collision objects and with how objects can collide. Anyway, if someone also want to talk about this it'd be better to make another topic instead of filling this one with garbage.

Yeah, visibility (thankfully) doesn't end collision checks. I can run my entire game with everything invisible and still have it work perfectly.

However i dont think MMF2 really suffers performance drain from collision checks. If anything its just the amount of objects it has to render per cycle.