A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: The Fated Hour - July 2009 Update

July Update is here: Go here.

tfh_logo.gif

Rather than just drudge up my old thread for the Christmas Demo, I'll just make a general thread for this.

So. TFH. Been going on a long time. If you want an extended history of the project, hit up Sonic Retro's Wiki Entry. It tracks the game's history from 1999 until present, to the best of my memory on the subject. It also contains every demo released for the project, if you want to go back in time and laugh at how awful the old demos were.

Media

The primary purpose of this thread is to show project updates via throwing whatever screenshots or video at you guys, since the screenshots thread is closed. I also plan on one day in the future doing sort of a beta test to see if everything I'm planning in TFH meshes well and get detailed feedback. It also goes without saying that, no, you cannot use any of the sprites on display. Current media:

EARLY STUFF

The further on down this list, the more recent the screenshot is.

Christmas Demo - Level Tiles

Christmas Demo - Building the level

Christmas Demo - expanding the level

Christmas Demo - adding effects

Christmas Demo - In Action

Christmas Demo - Almost Done!

TFH Sprite Evolution

Test Engine - Adding Water

Test Engine - Knuckles AI Control 1

Test Engine - Knuckles AI Control 2

Test Engine - Breakable Walls

TEXTBOX.png

Implementing text boxes.

tfhtodo.png

A peek at TFH's current "To Do" list (this is only a fraction of it; what's shown here is the major engine stuff, though)

Videos:

Early Knuckles AI Test

Knuckles being smarter

Effects Tomfoolery (Warning: Possibly Motion Sickness inducing)

Breakable Walls and how the AI reacts to them

Grinding effects

(could've sworn there was more...)

This game looks awesome, loving the Sonic sprite and the new palatte Knuckles. The Sonic pixel art is realy awesome love the shading and palette. Looking forward to this game.

overall: a nice looking and awesome game

Wow, that looks absolutely wild. I especially liked the video with the grinding test on it--lots of pretty effects and fast-paced action.

I'm not usually wild about fangames, but I'm looking forward to this quite a bit. It's got a lot of unique design choices that are really catching my eye. Looking forward to future updates!

I just HAD to do that again.

*killed by Blaze*

It's interesting playing the old demos. I remember that old Chemical Plant one was awesome back in the day, but playing it now after playing the Christmas demo, it seems rather... crappy.

This game has changed a lot, and the new stuff looks great. I just hope I don't need a time machine to be around to experience the finished game.

I won't make a habit of double posting if I can help it because that's awful, but given the nature of this thread it may be unavoidable.

menu.png

It seriously took like 3 hours of thinking how I was going to do this and fumbling around to get to this point. (Yes, obviously, all the names and stuff are for testing purposes, and I know, layering is borked).

The main reason it took so long is because I had to figure out how it would work. Obviously because of MMF, I wanted to keep the prices for items externalized so I could easily change them if it turned out that later in the game something needed to be more/less expensive (I ended up externalizing everything; prices, names, descriptions, etc.). So I mulled over how to handle it, and then it was how to set up the menu; I wanted a clean interface. So I spent some time figuring that out. And then came writing the actual events bit, which wasn't so much hard as it was really, really, really tedious and will remain tedious for quite a while after this.

Infact, most of what is left to do in TFH is the most tedious stuff. Whoopee.

I feel you. I think the most difficult thing ive programmed in my whole game so far is the text box that appears in my tutorial that tells you what to do when you get to certian parts of the level.

Menu's are a bitch. Yours looks awesome tho.